PDA

View Full Version : engine kock with blue smoke

ronixrider82
07-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Well just bought a 02 Supra 22SSV and its my third day out in it...Got out of the no wake gave it some gas and the engine started knocking looked back and blue smoke was coming from the back.. needless to say the oil pressure was fine and so was the temp turned around and headed back home! HAPPY FOURTH lol so it has 800 hours on it and im guessing does this mean its time for a rebuild??

saltare inverts
07-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I have over 900 hours on my boat and it purrs like a lion. I wouldnt call it a rebuild yet. You will get your answers here from someone who knows more than me about internal engine problems. Salty, Csuggs and many others know these engines well.

mapleleaf
07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm just learn'in, but your problem might have to do with the boat being stored a while.....Old gas, dirty or low oil. I'd check oil and trans fluid.
My boat blew smoke like crazy first time in the water this year, went right away....
The knocking could be a bunch of stuff, oil change would be good, make sure to look at what comes out....

rludtke
07-05-2009, 02:06 PM
When the engine runs poorly, it can make a horrible nocking sound. Fourtunatley this doesn't nesiserily mean that there is a mechanical issue internal to the engine. I would work the basics: Fuel and Ignition.

Make sure their isn't any water in the fuel tank, and replace any old fuel with fresh , change the fuel water sepparator, give it a complete ignition tune up, new spark plugs, check timing etc.

If it is carburated, a carburator overhaul may be necisary as well. Dirt stuck in the needle/seat will cause a high float level and rich mixture (blue smoke), and rough running. I suppose your boat is eqipped with fuel injection, which is less likely to be the problem, but if any sensors are not functioning, the mixture will be off. A shop equipped with an engine anilyser can troubleshoot these issues pretty expediantly.

If you don't have a hose adapter, you should get one so that you can run the boat in your driveway for testing.

Cheers,

michael hunter
07-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you might have a fuel injector stuck open. Unless you are knowledgeable in computer controlled fuel injection I recommend taking it to a good mechanic. Good Luck

ronixrider82
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
its in the shop now so far I have 2 low compression on 2 cylinders! :( And they said the knocking noise was something backfiring between the 2 cylinders?

michael hunter
07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Blown head gasket? Are the two low cyls next to each other?

rludtke
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
its in the shop now so far I have 2 low compression on 2 cylinders! :( And they said the knocking noise was something backfiring between the 2 cylinders?

You probably have burnt intake valves, or valves that don't seat all the way, allowing a leak path for the burning fuel / air mixture to ignite in the intake manifold. This would explain the low compression and the knocking sound.

Repairing the valves and seats is not the end of the world, but the head will need to be removed and taken to a machine shop to do the repair.

Good Luck,