PDA

View Full Version : Beaching an Inboard

Green23
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Just picked up a '98 Saltare. Being my first inboard I'm not sure what the rules are for beaching and trailering the boat. Any help would be appreciated.

michael hunter
07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat. As far as beaching if its in sand
you can noise it onto the beach without damage. I would recommend using two anchors
and letting it float in about 2-3' of water. Even on sand there may be a rock there.
What do you want to know about towing? How about some pictures of the new baby.

tadarch2
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
As mentioned using two anchors is the best choice. As to avoid any unforseen damage. Here is my setup. On the front I use an anchor with a bungee anchor rope, attached to a round buoy with a quick clip. For the rear, I use a sand anchor with built in hammer and a rope. It works really slick. I set my front anchor first, and throw a rope to shore, attaching to the sand anchor. Pulling the bungee rope tight. When I go to leave I release the rear rope. The bungee pulls me out away from the beach. Release the clip and away I go. When I returned, nose into the buoy with the rear swinging around. Secure rear rope again.

Blackntan90
07-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I installed a keelprotector on mine, there are a couple of brands out there- it takes some of the worry out of damaging a very exposed part of the boat. Lets see some pic's!

87SunSportMikeyD
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I beach mine all the time, no problems. Wavy shore can be big trouble. Try not to run the prop near shore, make somebody walk it in. If the shoreline is too shallow the rudder will touch bottom and you can audibly hear it scrape on the gravel. Try to avoid this, if you hear it, back the boat into deeper water. Sometimes this can cause your rudder seals to have a slow leak.

saltare inverts
07-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I beach my 86 Saltare all the time. I make someone walk the plank. To check for rocks, but only on a sandy beach. I pull it in easy, not fast lands. Glad to have you hear, best boat model you could choose. We must have pics of your new baby.

wotan2525
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Lately I've started backing mine into the beach... it sounds scary but my river is very sandy and there isn't really anything I can hit that would cause damage. I have one person stand on the swim deck, give it a good punch in reverse and then cut the engine.... as the boat drifts in, that person jumps into the water and pulls us towards shore.

Then I anchor with 2 earth-anchors (screw in type with eyelets on top) and a rope coming off each of my port and starboard bow cleats. This does a good job from keeping it from turning side to side and having the swim deck towards the beach makes getting on and off REALLY easy. Also allows the tower speakers to be turned towards shore ... which has certain perks. ;)

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6643/cimg0060rkp.jpg

michael hunter
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Do You Need An Extra Spotter?

87SunSportMikeyD
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
party time! Smart idea wotan.

S_I I wish I was there!

Green23
07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
This is one of the photos from the dealership. We don't have any photos of our own yet.

Green23
07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
This one might be bigger.

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Your boat looks clean. Real clean. Can I have some parts off of it? I promise I will enjoy the parts.

Blackntan90
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Wow! Looks like mine, same colors- similar looking interior also! I must admit I like the curved windshield much better than my flat one!

rludtke
07-11-2009, 01:44 PM
As mentioned using two anchors is the best choice. As to avoid any unforseen damage. Here is my setup. On the front I use an anchor with a bungee anchor rope, attached to a round buoy with a quick clip. For the rear, I use a sand anchor with built in hammer and a rope. It works really slick. I set my front anchor first, and throw a rope to shore, attaching to the sand anchor. Pulling the bungee rope tight. When I go to leave I release the rear rope. The bungee pulls me out away from the beach. Release the clip and away I go. When I returned, nose into the buoy with the rear swinging around. Secure rear rope again.

I love my anchor buddy, this is a must have. I beach my boat (in sand) only when I am planning a short stay. Otherwise I use the bungee Anchor Buddy anchor line just like tadarch above. This allows the use of the swim step to board, and isnures that the boat is safe.

Search the web for "Anchor Buddy"