PDA

View Full Version : steering

wallace
06-09-2002, 03:19 PM
can anyone help? I have just spent 600.00 on a new helm, steering cable and some other parts near the rudder. My local Supra dealer said this would remove the extra eight inches of play in the steering wheel. Not only did it not solve the problem but now the steering wheel is extremely hard to turn when under way. Is there a true pro out there that has the answer? I would like to be informed of a fix, if one is out there, before the mechanics tell me that this is all the better it gets. I have to believe this boat can be a pleasure to drive.
Thank You in advance for any help.

Wallace

PS 1988 Supra Pirata

fitz
11-11-2002, 10:08 PM
sounds like the cable is binding/bent/crimped if the cable is bent in too tight of an arc it will not move easly, also if you got a damaged/kinked cable it would behave this way take a look at a 10speed bike brake/shift cable and you will know what i mean look at other boats cables for how they are routed and compare w/ yours [this is why i do all my own work] good luck and let me know how this turns out!

jpeters
08-02-2008, 01:44 AM
There is always a way to fix stuff. Most likely a problem with the sheath. If you have it out you can inspect the entire length for any blemish. Any smal kink, puncture etc. will cause drag. A ding can be groundout using a drill and plumbers auger/drain cleaner with the proper size ball shaped grinder on the end. Sometimes a clamp just gets tightened too tight during install

Salty87
08-02-2008, 08:40 AM
check the other end at the rudder too. in fact, i'd disconnect the cable there and see if it is still bound up.