PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 1991 Sunsport.

techsledder
07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I am considering buying my friends 1991 Supra Sunsport with the 351 Windsor power plant. It has around 400-500 hours on it. It has been taken care of very well prior to storage three years ago. Since then it had a small period of time were it had been left to the “open-air elements” uncovered in a barn. Long story, but it had a chance for birds to do their business on it in an open-air barn and to get rained on through a hole in the roof of the barn. So my question is, what should I look for as far as rot and mechanical issues when I go to take a look at the boat? What if anything is wood on these boats? The engine was properly stored (read: Supra dealer winterized it) when he put it into storage, but do I have to worry about condensation and or rust forming in the engine with a storage time of three years ago? I have never bought a boat that was an inboard, let alone a Supra, so any and all help I can get here would be great.

michael hunter
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
With the exposure to water look carefully at the floor and stringers do a search there are many posts about what to look for. Supra didnt stop using wood untill 1992 so yours most likely has wood. The boat can be run on the trailer remove the raw water hose and put it in a bucket with a garden hose running water in it.

Montgomery
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
On my 91 the weakest part of the floor is right in front of the cooler, the floor in mine is completely solid everywhere with no soft spots at all, but the floor gives a little right in front of the cooler, the wood is fine it just lacks adequate support at that spot, so definitely check that spot if it's overly flexible there you might have a problem. Check the engine/trans mounts and make sure you can't turn the bolts by hand, if you can the stringers are bad, try and rock the engine around it should be solid, don't be afraid to get up in it and jump around, when you drive it pay attention to the engine and any vibrations if the engine makes a lot of vibration it could mean the stringers are bad as well, and definitely post pics

techsledder
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow, you weren’t kidding! After searching for “stringer” I found all sorts of info. There are / were some serious rebuild projects on these boats documented here on this forum. Any one know why Supra didn’t encase the stringers and below deck wood with poly resin and glass in the first place?!??

Salty87
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
supra encased the stringers and floor in fiberglass. the problem was that there was no drainage. once water got under the deck, there was no way out. the foam absorbed it and created a nasty science experiment.

your description of rain getting into the boat from a leaky roof makes me cringe. if your friend will let you drill some test holes in the stringers you can take a pretty good guess at how bad they are. my initial thought is that it's probably got wet foam though.

the seat bases are wooden as well. remove the cushions and take a look AND a sniff. if it's real moldy smelling you've got a project boat on your hands.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Im in the middle of helping my dad with his boat right now, we decided to replace the carpet, then saw the floor, then pulled the floor and saw the stringers. We did get lucky and caught in time we only have to fix the rear half front half are in great shape still. It always turns into alot bigger project than you think...

techsledder
07-15-2009, 10:17 AM
So good news and bad news on the boat. The hull and floor and 90% of the seats / carpet are in good condition. I went and looked her over last evening after work and the major worries are no longer. The boat was just neglected while sitting in a barn for a few years with out a cover on it. The engine mount bolts were tight and didn’t turn with out the use of a socket and ratchet. So after checking those out and all the exposed areas of the bilge that I could reach, I’d say the stringers are “A-ok”. There is little to no water damage except for a couple spots on the carpet. Nothing a good steam cleaning couldn’t take care of. The floor didn’t give or seem soft at all. The carpet in the bow, under the two seats, is pulling out/delaminating it’s self. The engine is a bit dirty and a couple of places on the valve covers have a little white flaky corrosion. The bad is a raccoon decided to make a home/nest out of the bilge forward and aft of the engine. (Sick, sick animals they are as they cr@pped in there too) Also, several of the fresh air flexible hoses were fallen off or pulled off by someone or something. Are these hard to replace? :confused: So beside some major cleaning & detailing, I believe we could have a great boat here. Can anyone near the South West part of Wisconsin suggest a good boat detailer?? I would like to get some estimates for cleaning her up.

Montgomery
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
By fresh air hoses do you mean where the vents are on the sides ? All in all it doesn't sound too bad you may have to spend a little time getting all the coon $hit out of it though lol. Btw what's the price tag on her ?

87SunSportMikeyD
07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Looks like a diamond in the rough! Like finding an old car in a barn... but better cause it's a sweet boat! hehe What price? I would guess $7500 if the apholstry is good. Is it?

Maybe you can put the boat and trailer on a slight incline, pull the rear drain plug on the transom, and use a hose to spray out the bilge.

Did you walk around the floor barefoot? Did you use a screwdriver to tap the floor to make sure the sound is solid and the tip doesn't stick into soft wood. It is pretty uncommon to have NO slightly soft spots - look some more heh! Good luck and please take a couple pics of the boat in it's original resting place, it is nostalgic! I still have my first pics with my boat all stock-lookin. On my P&J thread. :)

techsledder
07-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes, I am speaking of the fresh air vents from the front to the bilge. The upholstery is dirty from the barn and the raccoons. The drivers seat is split down the middle and the middle rear seat cushion has a couple of dark spots on it. From what? Don’t really know. Other than that its just dusty/dirty. The engine will need the most work to get it running again. It's been four years since it's ran. I’ll try and post my pics when I figure out how to.

techsledder
07-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Here are some pictures.

mapleleaf
07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Looks like a great find......that boat should be good to go for a long time....
Get through that detailing and tune up.......AND GET HER BACK IN THE WATER, where she belongs!!
Be wary of your driveshaft packing and rudder seals first time in the water......you may want to make sure the bilge pump is working too....

Montgomery
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Basically you just take the vent off and reach way down in there and grab the hoses or you can use a wire hanger and hook em and pull em up

Montgomery
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
$hit dude that things a gem compared to some I've seen

87SunSportMikeyD
07-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Ya that thing looks in great shape aside from some minor issues. The hull isn't even oxydized you can still see the shine. Looks like mildew got to it. I really like Exquisite brand vinyl cleaner/protector (ebay) but anything should do. Get that seat recovered and everything else is DIY! I wouldn't worry about the carpet under the open bow, unless you want to glue it down again. Generally only replace the carpet in the cabin if it is damage; or if it's tracked out and you really want to...

saltare inverts
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
That is a sweet find. Keep it or sell it to me. I would love that project. Nice color too.

mapleleaf
07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
That is a sweet find. Keep it or sell it to me. I would love that project. Nice color too.

Took the words right out of my mouth......it's better than mine !!!!!!

CipWop
07-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Dont forget to measure the depth to see if you need slims especially in the rear.

Irish your boat is looking mighty sick

mapleleaf
07-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm getting in the truck now, it's either WI or Missouri, doesn't matter to me, I'm buy'in one of those boats!!!!!
or maybe not, it's good to dream...LOL

saltare inverts
07-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Mapleleaf if you come to Mo. you can stay at my place.

mapleleaf
07-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I was coming down there to buy your boat...LOL

techsledder
07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Bought it yesterday!

mapleleaf
07-20-2009, 11:20 PM
I think that all your anniversary gifts will have to be boat related now.....

87SunSportMikeyD
07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
All right tech!!!!! Way to go!!