PDA

View Full Version : Used Supra Comp

nmconner
01-13-2004, 05:38 AM
I’m on the water ski team for the University of Wisconsin and am interested in purchasing a used ski boat for this summer. Although the “Crafts” we ski behind everyday in practice are pretty nice there is no way I am dishing out that kind of money for a name. I just need something that will get me through the course with a “nice” wake. I have heard the 92-94 supra comps have a decent slalom wake; can anyone else back this up? Also, one of my dad’s friends is looking to sell his ’88 supra comp, which is in really good shape and has lower hours. Would this have the same hull design/wake as the ’92-94 comps do (I’ve never skied behind it)? Sounds like I could pick it up from him for $5500, good deal?

andrewmorrow
01-29-2004, 08:07 PM
You can look at www.nadaguides.com to get a good idea of the value of the boat.

I am also in the market for an older ski boat, though I'm in Minnesota. It seems that any direct drive boats are going to be at least $4,000 if they float.

Let me know if you come up with anything, boats should start to come on the market locally at marinas in the next two months.

mygreenmonster.com
01-29-2004, 11:10 PM
If your looking for some current Supras for sale, go to the following url, select the Supra model, and click search.

http://www.ablboats.com/search_power.html

Suprabob
03-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Holy Cow! $5500 for a low hour comp would be a sweet deal. Be sure to check the pre '92 boats for floor/stringer rot, as my understanding is that 92 and newer boats have plastic floors, and the older boats can be problematic.
I have owned my 1990 Comp TS6M for 13 years and it has ALWAYS been garaged and still the floor developed a soft spot last year. This winter I took a skil saw to the floor and discovered a rotten floor from the engine box back. Good news is I replaced with HDPE plastic that cut like butter. Fun project and now I won't have the worries of a rotten floor for as long as I will own the boat or the next owner either!
I am not a tournament skier, but I run the slalom course at 34 mph 15 off. When you go to 22 off, there is a noticable rise in the wake table, but it is next to non existent at 28 and 32 off. I have played in open water (not the course) at these shorter lines and the wake is as good as any 'craft out there that I have skied behind. Actually, some of the crafts I have skied, you kinda fall into a hole going through the wake. I think Supra has a great all around wake for footing, wakeboarding, or slalom skiing.
My buddy I ski with has a 87 Comp and it skis as good as mine.
Just my thoughts.

Tim
03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I am interested in your input on the wake from a supra comp. I understand that it has an excellent wake for skiing, but what is it like for wakeboarding. Does it throw a decent wake for intermediate riding.

I am considering purchasing a one owner '88 in mint condition (floor and Stringers are solid).

Thanks for you help

84 sunsport
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
yo tim, get a sunsport or saltaire if your wakeboarding. deeper and wider hulls put out a wikd wake

rludtke
03-20-2011, 08:33 PM
The Comp TS6M was Supra's competition ski tow-boat. It is truly a single purpose design. If you're old school, and like to slalom, you'll absolutly love its wake.

It will never function like a modern wakeboarding and surf boat, because it has a nearly flat transom, and very little freeboard. The Supra's are easy boats to take on water with, even when not weighted down with balast. They also have a very rough ride in when the lake gets stirred up, and are primarily a flat water boat.

That said, If your on a budget, and don't mind taking extra care when operating, you can make this boat work for wakeboarding and surfing. The Comps are probably the cheapest of all older Supra models, simply because they lack the utility and deck space of the bigger models. It seems that most of the emphasis today is on wakeboarding, so the bigger boats are more popular.

The Supra doesn't have much room for bags, but some folks on this board have figured out how to do it.

Cheers,

Rick

chrisk
03-20-2011, 10:03 PM
nmconner, I'm the president for Mizzou's ski team and we're also in the market for a boat. We're looking between the 4 and 6 grand range so if you know of anything or you decide not to go with that Supra we'd definitely be interested.

mapleleaf
03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Original thread date is on '04, chances are this one's gone......

jet
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
In this market??..it still could be for sale. LMAO

chrisk
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Haha, wow I've gotta start checking dates