PDA

View Full Version : gas tank

gerdy
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
my gas tank says on it 21 gal. but when i fill it when it says empty it only takes 12 gal. can someone with a older comp tell me how much there's holds?

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
My tank has a label on it that states 46 gallons. If gives maker, date etc.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I have never trusted a fuel gauge in a boat; I doubt I ever will. If the tank says 21 gallons, that's what it is.

michael hunter
07-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I replaced my sender 20 years ago with an electronic sender very accurate and the gauge
needle stays stable. As for your tank drain it and fill it up see what it takes.
What boat do you have? Year?

gerdy
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I replaced my sender 20 years ago with an electronic sender very accurate and the gauge
needle stays stable. As for your tank drain it and fill it up see what it takes.
What boat do you have? Year?

1984 mfd. comp ts6m.. do you use the exsisting gauge with an electronic or do you have to change the guage as well??

rludtke
07-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Gerdy,

I was under the impression that my 1987 Comp only held 15 gallons. But the other day I stuffed 20 gallons into it. The tank was low, but not empty. I am no longer sure what the max capacity is (of course I have no service documents for my boat).

Part of the problem may be the vent system, it seems to start spilling out the vent at about 15 gallons, which would suggest that the tank is full, when it may not be. Try playing around at the pump. At a low fill rate, you may find that you can get 20 gallons into the tank.

michael hunter
07-11-2009, 11:58 PM
1984 mfd. comp ts6m.. do you use the exsisting gauge with an electronic or do you have to change the guage as well??

Original gauge only changed the sender.
Centroid Products Inc 904-423-3574

csuggs
07-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I agree that I think you'll find the senders are not accurate. I've not had one apart, but I would assume that maybe the float arm is not adjusted properly. If your tank is stamped with a fuel capacity, that's what you have. Your gauge is nothing more than a visual indicator of approximate fuel level. My tank says it holds 37 gallons, and one thing I've learned is that the last "half" tank as indicated on the gauge goes much quicker than the first "half" (just like my '93 GMC pickup). As long as I know this, it works for me.

gerdy
07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
i guess i'll have to figuere it out. if anything i have a healthy reserve..

rludtke
07-12-2009, 01:46 PM
On those days that I plan to be on the boat all day, I always strap two 3 gallon cans of fuel in front of my feet under the bow. I have had to use them a few times to get back to the marina.

jshepp122
05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
my gas tank says on it 21 gal. but when i fill it when it says empty it only takes 12 gal. can someone with a older comp tell me how much there's holds?
The gas tanks ranged anywhere from 20-25 gallons, but your problem is your float, I had the same problem. The float is made of cork so its saturated in gas and when it hits a half tank its sitting at the bottom and when its full its floating midway even though your full. Get a new float for it.

jet
05-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Here was a old idea I had to come up with a long time ago, because we boarded at the river and there were NO gas stations down there without pulling out your boat and dragging to a station. We would take 5-10-15 xtra gals in our compsand set them on the beach, but there were a lot of times I almost didnt make it home. lol. Rick if that gas ever turns over your in trouble man. Try this. Buying a 12-16 gal gas tank with a filler and put it in the right side of the front nose area. You can drill a new filler cap right under the winsheild to fill it up and then run a gas line back to a Y before the fuel pump with a shut off valve. Im pretty sure this would work and not cost much more than $100. What do yall think??

cole1
05-17-2012, 06:51 PM
That's what I was talking about in my post Jet... I have an additional tank under the nose and it has a separate filler cap in front of the windshield but since I didn't do it and I haven't had this boat very long I'm not sure how it works exactly.

jet
05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I think with a Y-on off valve this would work great. And since Im trying to hide more weight for boarding I just might do this project this summer. 20galsx8lbs=160 lbs

cole1
05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
I think im going to trace the lines tonight and see if I can figure out exactly how mine is set up... I will let you know what I find out.

wotan2525
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
My sender has never worked. Just replaced it with a WEMA unit. Very similar to the one Michael posted above.....

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_13347_Wema_Sender_Fuel_Water_SSS.html

Jetlink
05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I think with a Y-on off valve this would work great. And since Im trying to hide more weight for boarding I just might do this project this summer. 20galsx8lbs=160 lbsI thought a gallon of go juice was more around 6.7lbs./gallon or 3.039069kg/3.785412L for our metric system members...

cole1
05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Im sure he was thinking of water... Water weighs more than gasoline.

wiatowski
05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
It's still a rough estimate that's easy to do in your head.... 8 lbs per gallon. 1 liter of water is equal to 1 kg or 2.2 lbs. 1 liter of gas is around 2 lbs. roughly 4 liters to a gallon.... :)

DAFF
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
My sender has never worked. Just replaced it with a WEMA unit. Very similar to the one Michael posted above.....

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_13347_Wema_Sender_Fuel_Water_SSS.html

These sending units are much more accurate than the older cork and arm ones. But they tend to go bad more often. I guess there is a price to pay for not seeing the guage bounce from 1/2 to full all day long.

Jetlink
05-21-2012, 11:22 PM
It's still a rough estimate that's easy to do in your head.... 8 lbs per gallon. 1 liter of water is equal to 1 kg or 2.2 lbs. 1 liter of gas is around 2 lbs. roughly 4 liters to a gallon.... :)In my line of work, I joke because we deal with exacts on some things and rough estimates on others... For instance, we weigh the gas out to the pound however, everyone of you guys that steps foot on my airplane weighs 176 pounds according to the FAA, same for your wife or girlfriend and kids weigh half that. Anyways, that is where my math came from. Gallon of 100LL weighs 6.7 pounds/per gallon while Jet-A weighs 6.6 pounds.

DAFF
05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I think the rounding up is common in the trucking industry. For I use the 8/10lb. rule too for fuels and water. This will always give us a safety factor when it comes to the scales and allows for errors in measurents WRT volume.

wiatowski
05-22-2012, 01:27 AM
In my line of work, I joke because we deal with exacts on some things and rough estimates on others... For instance, we weigh the gas out to the pound however, everyone of you guys that steps foot on my airplane weighs 176 pounds according to the FAA, same for your wife or girlfriend and kids weigh half that. Anyways, that is where my math came from. Gallon of 100LL weighs 6.7 pounds/per gallon while Jet-A weighs 6.6 pounds.

I'll havr to tell my wife that according to the FAA I lost weight! ha!