PDA

View Full Version : Spare tire mount under front of boat

Fman
07-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Getting ready to put a spare tire on my sunsport. I saw the other day someone had a spare mounted on there front crossmember of the trailer facing upward under the front of the boat. Its a great idea, keeps the tire out of the way when loading and unloading. Unfortunately I was never able to make it over and look at the mounting brackets the owner was using.

Anyone else here using this type of mount? pictures? I have heard there are clearance issues with the side mounts and problems with it rubbing the boat while loading and unloading.

Pics or leads would be great.
Thanks...

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Getting ready to put a spare tire on my sunsport. I saw the other day someone had a spare mounted on there front crossmember of the trailer facing upward under the front of the boat. Its a great idea, keeps the tire out of the way when loading and unloading. Unfortunately I was never able to make it over and look at the mounting brackets the owner was using.

Anyone else here using this type of mount? pictures? I have heard there are clearance issues with the side mounts and problems with it rubbing the boat while loading and unloading.

Pics or leads would be great.
Thanks...

Mine is mounted opposite of the jack never had any problem hitting it. I have seen the spare mounted under the bow of the boat. That would not work on mine with the mount I had.

jonyb
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
You can buy the standard rail-mounted tire carrier from Boatmate for pretty cheap. $60 I think?

KY Steve
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Mine is mounted opposite of the jack never had any problem hitting it. I have seen the spare mounted under the bow of the boat. That would not work on mine with the mount I had.

Put mine on the side also and it works great there.

mapleleaf
07-09-2009, 10:42 PM
mines a side mount and works great...only had trouble with it getting in the way at one ramp that was too steep...that ramp sucked, only went there once.....

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
This is similar to mine.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32006&pdesc=Tie_Down_Side_Mount_Spare_Tire_Carrier&cname=Trailer-Tires-Rims&aID=603H&merchID=1009&r=view

Sluggo
07-10-2009, 07:17 AM
That is what I have as well, and again, no problems loading, but went through my dealer to get the boatmate version that was painted to match the trailer. I didn't think $65 was that bad a deal for a painted mount until I installed it and put a cover over the spare. Now you don't see the mount at all, lol. Save the money and go with the Overton or whoever model for half or less of the price. I guess if you plan to order a wheel that you want to show off or keep exposed, the painted mount would be more visable and worth the cost. I just used an existing spare I had from an older trailer.

michael hunter
07-11-2009, 10:51 AM
The only problem with the horizontal mount is the wheel will hold water and rust.
I have vertical mounts on both my trailers no problems.