PDA

View Full Version : Want More Power

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Anyone with thoughts on performance upgrades for a 454. I was thinking aluminum intake for starters. I dont want to make it undrivable. Just add a few ponies. Any suggestions?

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Upgrade the cam, and intake and carb, if you wanna do little more work swap out the heads also. If do all this depending on aggresivness anywhere from 100hp and up.

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Suggestions on cam, intake and carb? I did see some pictures of a Saltare with a blower on it. It even fit under original engine box. To extreme for me but awesome.

wake beater
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm likin this thread,help S I out then I'll know what to throw on my 454.....

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
You could get a nice Supercharger that would tuck under the engine cover that would be a real fast and easy way too go with some serious Horse Power gains.

One thing to look at also is need to find out how much HP can the velvet drive take.

There are many ways to go, have a shop build you a mild 400 hp motor or do like i suggested with head and cam and intake swap.. Just depends on how many hours your motor has on it right now. That is a big deciding factor to me, if i have around 500 or more hours on it, might as we do a rebuild so that you know what you got, makes life easier.

Summit Racing has a complete Black Box Crate motor from GM few options:

A.. GM Performance 12568774 - GM Performance 454 C.I.D. HO 425 HP Engine Assemblies
Cast Iron Rectangle Port Heads.

Part Number: NAL-12568774
$5,399.95

B..GM Performance 12498777 - GM Performance ZZ454 C.I.D. 440 HP Engine Assemblies

Part Number: NAL-12498777

$6,495.95

Those are two complete engine black boxes.. Or you can have a local shop that you trust to rebuild yours for around that price or cheaper.

Hope this helps you out if have anymore questions let me know...

saltare inverts
07-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I planning on simple at first. Probably just two turbos and 400 shot nitrous. Just kidding. I was thinking aluminum intake, cam and maybe carb. Still looking for style, brand suggestions.

Salty87
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
si...have you gotten a new prop yet? i'd try that first, everything else will just make it more thir$ty.

michael hunter
07-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Why do you need more HP is it for speed or pull. I only have a 351 240HP I have never needed more even for bare footing?

rludtke
07-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Why do you need more HP is it for speed or pull. I only have a 351 240HP I have never needed more even for bare footing?

Michael has a good point, one should identify the intended mission, and design the optimum solution for that mission. The potential mission may be looking cool/sounding cool at the marina, or improving the pull, etc. All potential missions are worthwhile, I am not making a value judgment.

I have run into trouble when making modifications in the past, as the projects tend to snowball. One change can have many unintended effects, driving more changes, and more unintended affects, and on and on. This can get real expensive, and contribute to extensive down time.

The rule of thumb is not to overhaul the top end of an older engine, as the added stresses will overwhelm the bottom end. If the engine has some time on it, you should consider overhauling the whole thing, which of course adds to the cost. A forged crankshaft, and a four bolt main journal block will withstand increased horsepower better than the cast crank or the two bolt main. These are examples of the decisions that need to be made that will dramatically effect the cost of the project, and the longevity of the engine.

After experiencing these kinds of issues on some of the radical vehicles I messed with in my youth, I swore I would never do it again (as tempting as it is).

I work for a world class aerospace company in the airplane systems engineering organization, and as a result, have an understanding the complexities of such changes. Even our engineers are constantly struggling with the unintended consequences of the changes and "improvements" that they make to their systems.

There is a Utube video out there of a Ski Nautique with a radical supercharged engine that goes like gangbusters! I think it is really cool, and I appreciate the accomplishment, but I doubt that it improved the boats ability to pull a skier.

So I guess I am offering some food for thought: If skiing or wakeboarding is your intended mission, possibly the money is best spent on gas in the tank.

If you do decide to tackle this, please post your efforts and results, as it sounds like an intriguing project.

saltare inverts
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I already put on a new prop with different pitch. It pulls real good. It even pulls out decent with alot of weight. I am just a avid fan of more is good. Wakeboarding is my main need. I see pictures of engines on here with diff. carbs, intakes etc looks inviting. I would like some of that.

rludtke
07-12-2009, 02:12 AM
I already put on a new prop with different pitch. It pulls real good. It even pulls out decent with alot of weight. I am just a avid fan of more is good. Wakeboarding is my main need. I see pictures of engines on here with diff. carbs, intakes etc looks inviting. I would like some of that.

Yeah I here you Saltaire, one simply can't have too much power. I remember when I was flying aerobatic contests, and when I upgraded to the next level of performance airplane, and the power/performance increase would seem so dramatic, I thought I would never catch up with the airplane. But eventually I would find myself beating the throttle with my fist, demanding more power- more power! There is never really enough.

I had to let that sport go when I married, as it just wasn't affordable or practicle. I miss it, but I am glad I did it when I could. Now with kids college payments, and two mortgages, it seems there is so little extra money for toys, I am just glad I could buy a bottom of the line boat and keep it going.

oldsupra
07-12-2009, 03:06 AM
BUY A MALIBU you wont nrrd more power to pull that waterloged POS out

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Malibu????:rolleyes: LOL If that was the last boat available; Maybe, But even Then....... I don't know.

oldsupra
07-12-2009, 11:42 AM
just kidding i love my supra

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I figured you were Joking.. LOL

wotan2525
07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I did some mild upgrades when I built mine. You can probably step up the cam without having to pull the engine -- talk to Crane or Comp Cams about options, they're the experts. I also had my heads machined for better flow and slightly higher compression. I actually moved to a smaller carb (Edelbrock) than the stock one (Holley) and it seems to help with fuel economy.

beast 496
07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Do not use any engine other than one set up for Marine use. The engines you can buy for many wharehouse outlests, ie summit, are for automotive use only, the cams, heads, are completely diffent, I would pesonally forget about trying to upgrade the enemic 454 carb. It is only 330 hp anyway. I replaced the entire assy with a 496 HO MPI. this is an engine rated at 425 hp and can run at WOT all day long. It is really nice to have a turn key engine than everyone in the family can use. Remember once you start modifying a motor the longetivity and reliability are not very good. Allan

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Lots of help on here, just make sure you triple check all your options.

RED WINE ROCKER
07-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Saltare....ok, first I'm a MOPAR man on my engines (non-marine)...my experiance is with mother MOPAR.....but some things are better left alone.....super chargers/nitrous / don't do it..... the most important thing for boats is to be reliable( you can't walk home)....you went prop, thats the first choice....Manifolds are an easy install, with that you get a faster rev out of the engine( responce/torque)....you'll want the approptiate carb on top (bigger?)....then exhaust manifolds/mufflers...now shes breathing....these mods are simple and safe & wont hurt reliability...once you get to cams,roller rockers, rods....blah,blah...your really messing with the engine( get a pro)

**EDELBROCK makes great, reasonable products( in the USA!)

saltare inverts
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks red wine. Yea, I like made in usa. Edelbrock is good. I guess I want a dual plane Rv?torq style. How do I tell if I have round or oval port heads, short of pulling manifold?

RED WINE ROCKER
07-17-2009, 09:52 AM
......Head serial numbers and internet searching....454 right?....should be a ton of stuff available.