PDA

View Full Version : engine missing bad under load

snibbornairb
07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
hey guys,
I have a '88 Mariah with a brand new problem. The boats has been running great all season until today. The boat starts like normal, idles normal, revs great in neutral; but misses terribly when in gear, especially when trying to pull a rider. Even at full throttle it can only manage 2400 - 3000 rpm because of all the misses. In Neutral it pers like a kitten @ 3000+ rpm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Happens all the time, first guess is bad gas. Throw a can of Heet in gas tank and see if that fixes it. If that doesnt fix it next suspect is bad spark plug, wire or out of timing.

mapleleaf
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I had a similar problem 3 weeks ago...mine was a clogged fuel filter...it ran fine in neutral, but under load could only manage 15-20 mph....wasn't getting enough gas....
could be something else, but fuel filter's are cheap and quick to swap......

snibbornairb
07-10-2009, 06:25 AM
thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Salty87
07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
i agree on checking fuel filter first? do you have a water separator filter?

also, have you tuned it up lately? could be a bad dist cap or even the weights and springs rusting up in the dist.

michael hunter
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
It sounds like ignition. Try the filter if that doesn't work try spraying the cap, coil and spark plug wires with a water bottle in the evening run it under load look for sparks.

snibbornairb
07-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I did change the fuel filter... not the problem. I am trying to change the distibutor parts (rotor, points, cap,...) but the parts that the local auto parts manuels call for don't match what i have. We have been able to poke around and find the different cap and rotor, but the points that they sell to match that cap/rotor don't match my points. Anyone changed their points and have a part #?
Thanks

rludtke
07-11-2009, 06:19 PM
http://www.skidim.com/index.asp (http://www.skidim.com/index.asp)

snibbornairb
07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
After replacing the points and condensor she purs like a kitten again.
Thanks for your help.