PDA

View Full Version : Found my oil leak? Valve covers?!

wotan2525
07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
While replacing my spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor last night I noticed the starboard side valve cover was leaking towards the back of it. This shocked and amazed me because these shouldn't be under very much pressure at all. I haven't pulled off the exhaust risers (that is a PITA) but the nuts were tight and these are just thick rubber gaskets in there.

Imagine my surprise when I found the EXACT SAME PROBLEM on the port side. What is causing this?! I spend a lot of time surfing (oil sloshed towards the back of the valve covers) could this have caused this? Could the gaskets have gone bad? I'm stumped.

Salty87
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
damn, your engine has been giving you fits huh?

the only thing i can add is at least it's in a fairly accessible place. still sux though.

mapleleaf
07-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I've got the same problem...port and starboard......not doing anything about it til the seasons over......exhaust riser's don't look like they'll be fun to remove.....

michael hunter
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
On my 89 351 you dont have to pull the exhaust to remove the valve covers.
There shouldn't be any pressure there if your PCV system is working.

mapleleaf
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
That's weird I don't have a pic, But I'm sure that the 2 bottom back bolts on the cover aren't accessible w/o the riser off, I couldn't get a nuckle to slip in there.....

rludtke
07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
There isn't any oil pressure to speak off, but there is plenty of oil up there. The valve rockers and springs are lubricated with splash oil- the oil is sprayed onto the wearing surfaces by pressure feed, and returns to the crankcase via the drains. there are oppertunities for the oil to pool at the gasket interface, and it is common for the valve cover gaskets to leak, they dry out over time. It was just time. Fortunatly it is an easy repair.

agetech
07-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Don't pull the manifolds completely off, just loosen the manifold bolts and let the manifolds sag, then you can get to the two lower bolts on the valve covers.

wotan2525
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I've pulled the exhaust risers waaaaay too many times over the years. Not that tough of a job, but not a joy either. I'll try just loosening them up, but there is FOR SURE not any access to the bottom valve cover nuts without something being moved.

Good news is that it's not a very big leak (100 hours this year so far and only down 3/4 of a quart.) More good news is that plugs/wires/cap/rotor and a timing adjustment (I set it by ear and was only 3 degrees off!) have fixed my miss that was occuring above 3500RPMs.

rickr
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
22 year old cork gaskets are going to leak
Read Post # 48
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=2855&highlight=epoxy&page=5

beast 496
07-13-2009, 11:45 PM
yes, 21 to 22 years on a valve cover gasket is plenty, long. How many times has the engine overheated in those years? What is the color of your engine, nice silver or a tint of bronze?? Try to replace the gaskets with a more modern version from Fel-pro good luck Allan