PDA

View Full Version : radio and speaker replacement for an 88 TS6M

Sleepyluke
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I am having to ask this because the boat is currnetly 300 miles from me in my parents barn right now. I am trying to order a new radio and speakers to replace the old crappy ones that are now 21 years old. I can install the radio just fine, but can any one tell me what size the factory speakers are? I really don't want to start cutting the fiberglass on the old girl, but am I correct, are they old school 6" shallow mounts? Will 3" deep fit? What have you guys done? There are very few options for those, but if I have to find that I will, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

skiman_61
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi Luke,

I have an 87 Saltare', bought some JBL marine speakers. Can't tell you the depth right off hand, but it's pretty standard fare. They look good and work just fine.

rludtke
07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
My 87 TS6M had an old Blaupunk mounted under the dash. It was so hard to reach, I didn't dare make an adjustment when driving, too distracting. Then it ate a disc. I replaced it with an amplifier and my microsoft 30g Zune. Now I have a "wired" remote in the handheld zune. I woudn't go back to a deck of any sort. Plus I can plug the Zune into a simular set-up in my motorhome.