PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Interior Carpet

cptsupra
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I have glass shards from the windshield throughout the cockpit of my boat. Even though the carpet has been cleaned several times, after each outing, there are shards and chunks that work their way to the surface from the wind and jarring around while under way.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the carpet? If so, just who would undertake a job like that on an otherwise maticulous 2008 boat?

Thanks

beast 496
07-14-2009, 10:31 PM
sure you can replace, I have done it on several boats. It just takes alot of time. Be prepared to remove all of the interior. Keep the diffent parts in separate boxes. take alot of pictures of the disassembly so you can duplicate on the assembly of the boat. Allan

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I know its off this topic but, beast when we gonna see pics of your boat and motor

thescott
07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
How did the windshield shatter?

beast 496
07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I sure can take pictures, we are starting the teak floor project after we get back from family reunion. What is the best way to post pictures? I am getting excited on sharing the boat. Al

cptsupra
07-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Scott,

Tree limb while boat was parked in my dry storage.

Salty87
07-17-2009, 09:20 AM
is it too late for filing a supplemental claim with the insurance co? that sux....tearing out otherwise good carpet won't be easy.

i haven't been in the news boats as much...is the carpet laid before the cap is dropped?...probably

Sluggo
07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
I assume you have already attacked it with a large shop vac, but if you are doing this with your own $$$ vs insurance, how about snap in carpet over existing?

EEES
08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Where would I be able to get "snap-in" carpet? My carpet is faded, and I just want to buy myself a year or two.

Thank you.

mapleleaf
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
You'd prolly have to have an upholsterer bind the edge of the carpet and install the snaps, great way to make it removable and let it dry easier as well, prolly a little more pricey, have seen this on the new MC's is a nice looking installation...

Sluggo
08-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, as far as I know, it would have to be custom. I have found a local person to do vinyl but have not talked to her about carpet yet. Hopefully she can make a one piece deal that would just lay around the drivers seat up into the foot well. If it fits well enough, and is laying over carpet, would it need snaps to secure it? I would need to make sure the male side of the snaps would not hit any electrical harnesses or fuel tanks etc...

It might be a pricey option, but hopefully a lot less than replacing it yourself.

mapleleaf
08-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah, as far as I know, it would have to be custom. I have found a local person to do vinyl but have not talked to her about carpet yet. Hopefully she can make a one piece deal that would just lay around the drivers seat up into the foot well. If it fits well enough, and is laying over carpet, would it need snaps to secure it? I would need to make sure the male side of the snaps would not hit any electrical harnesses or fuel tanks etc...

It might be a pricey option, but hopefully a lot less than replacing it yourself.

I redid my own carpet...went the cheap route from Lowes...grey directional outdoor carpet with marine backing....with adhesive $130.00 Can.
I have to vacuum it ofen, but it looks great and is soft enough for me...If you go the snap in route don't use screws longer than 1/2" for the male end of the snap, that'll keep you safe from wiring harness's
Post some pic's of the snap in if you do it...it's looked amazing in every boat I've seen it in!!!!

Fman
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Where would I be able to get "snap-in" carpet? My carpet is faded, and I just want to buy myself a year or two.

Thank you.

Contact Skiers Choice, they now offer snap out carpet for the '09 models, you might be able to order a complete kit from them.