PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gauge

Okie Boarder
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Many of you may remember I've mentioned before my oil pressure gauge reading has been pretty erratic. Well, Saturday, the gauge was stuck at 0. I'm guessing the gauge or the sending unit is the problem. I need to double check the manual, but if someone knows off the top their head, can you tell me where the sending unit is?

I'm thinking I'll check that first, then go to the gauge and wiring. Can someone remind me how I want to check the sending unit to determine it is working?

Blackntan90
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Not sure of your engine type, but on the PCM 351 the sender is right next to oil filter- you can check it by removing the wire connector and ground it with a small screwdriver or nail to the block and turn the key to run position(not start) and if the gauge pegs all the way to the highest reading, then the gauge and wiring check out O.K. and it's a bad sender! Hope this helps!

michael hunter
07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Here it is on a 351 its above the oil filter with the wire attached.
Its probubly the sender but check it as Blackntan described.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supracarbOilsender001.jpg

Okie Boarder
07-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. Micheal...a picture is worth a thousand words. I'll be checking it out later this week when I get back home.

Blackntan90
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, it must be nice to be able to go into the garage to take a picture for a post- I have to drive 10 miles round trip to get the same result! Not bashing- just jelous!

mapleleaf
07-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't want to get sticky here, but that's not just a garage.....it's the stuff dreams are made of.....

michael hunter
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys
I have to walk 125 feet to the barn. I had a dream about just pulling my rig inside after a day on the water it finally came true 10 years ago. I dont think I could ever go back.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Try the little flower button (macro or closest-object focus), Michael! Hehe just teasin

saltare inverts
07-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I thought my eyes were going bad, just kidding.

Okie Boarder
07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
OK, so I took a set of alligator clip leads and clipped to the post/wire connection on the end of the sender and touched the other end to the block, with the key and ignition button on....nothing!

I'm thinking my next step will be to check the gauge itself? Can I pull it out of the dash and check it by applying a certain voltage to it? Can I check the sender with the motor running?

rickr
07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Check for voltage to the gauge then
Momentairly ground the "S" post on the gauge and see if the needle pegs.