PDA

View Full Version : start problem

Gregmacdog
01-22-2004, 12:32 PM
When I try to start the engine, turning the key to start position nothing happens and on the second time the engine starts up just fine---please explain ---do I need to service it --please let me know
the engine is a pcm gt-40 with no problems or alterations since new in 2000.

jflock2
01-28-2004, 10:15 AM
I would check the electrical wiring first (at the switch)

02-01-2004, 10:47 AM
thanks for the reply, I will start there.

Zephlor
02-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Mine started out as the same type of problem. I would turn the key and nothing. I would wait a few seconds and do it again and the engine would turn over and fire up. This started get worse after about a month and finally go to the point I had to try 4 or 5 times to get it to start. Last weekend I put a new starter on and now it starts like a new boat!

SupraNut
03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Sounds like the starter. Mine began having the same symptoms at the end of last season. Will likely have to replace this year.

flyinj
03-05-2004, 09:40 PM
slave solenoid prior to the starter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

03-10-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Zephlor

Mine started out as the same type of problem. I would turn the key and nothing. I would wait a few seconds and do it again and the engine would turn over and fire up. This started get worse after about a month and finally go to the point I had to try 4 or 5 times to get it to start. Last weekend I put a new starter on and now it starts like a new boat!

Jake
07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
I have the same problem with my 88 comp. I replaced the starter last season and that seemed to help, but lately the engine won't turn over on the initial cold start. Is the slave solenoid the same thing as the starter relay?

Jake
08-14-2004, 10:10 AM
I changed the starter solenoid and now have no problems. There was also some residue on the connection at the starter solenoid that may have been part of the problem.

SupraNut
08-15-2004, 07:09 AM
check your connections at the neutral safety switch. I thought my starter was the problem until I talked with Vince at SkiDim. all I did was make about an eighth of a turn of the screws on the neutral safety switch and boat starts like a champ every time! Much cheaper fix than a starter.