PDA

View Full Version : Just bought first Supra

syrupdawg
07-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I just bought my first supra. It is a '99 launch and I have several questions. It was a bank repo so the swim platform was missing but i have ordered another one of them! But it has two black pieces one the back (not the speedos) that have threads in them? What are they for? The boat has a trim tab switch on the console but from what i could tell no trim tab? Am i missing something? What kind of maintenance do i need to keep up with on a regular basis besides changing the oil and tranny fluid? How often are you guys changing these fluids? Any other imformation would be appreciated! This is my first direct drive boat...i have a '94 chaparral with the stern drive so this will be a learning experience. Thanks in advance for the help

csuggs
07-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Supra! Pics will help us to help you - as everyone knows, "we likes pics!"

Salty87
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
the black things on the transom might be where the rams for the wakeplate should be mounted? if that's it, it should be a bennet system, google bennet trim tabs and you should find them. they're very helpful.

i do the oil at 50 hrs and tranny fluid annually. you should be able to find a manual for 99. there's a link around here for manuals, not sure what years are covered.

let's see them pics!!

syrupdawg
07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I will try to post up some pictures as soon as i can. I has definately been neglected and needs some TLC but im going to polish it that will help alot. The interior is alright...the seats are in perfect condition no tears, cracks or anything. The floor is solid but the carpet will get replaced this winter. The motor hadnt been crunk up in several months but it turned over twice and fired right up..no smoke or anything it purrs like a kitten. I didnt pay but $8000 for the boat...that is a good deal right?

Bazel
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Congrats and welcome to the family. This is a great forum for questions.

Good luck

Salty87
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
8k for a '99 launch? where can i get one? wow...people are paying close to that for boats from the 80's. great buy!

you'll also want to install a new impeller. what engine do you have? carb, efi?...

87SunSportMikeyD
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!! :) :) :) :) Maybe the deal of the year.

Where/how did you find it?

wotan2525
07-17-2009, 11:29 AM
$8000 is a fantastic deal. Tower? Ballast? We need pics!

syrupdawg
07-18-2009, 07:16 PM
it has a tower but no balast system but thats nothing that a few fatsacks cant fix. It was a repo boat i bought in Headland, AL they wanted $11,000 for it but i made the offer at $8,000 and they accepted. By the impeller what do you mean? You have to forgive me of my ignorance lol im am only 20 years old and i am trying to learn the basics. I ordered a new swim platform and it should be here soon. I will try to get some pics posted. Thanks for any help guys. Oh yea it is a carb motor.

syrupdawg
07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
oh yea sorry i forgot to ask but what tranny fluid is acceptable in these motors?

mapleleaf
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh my gawd...20 with a Supra ?....Jackpot....Welcome to the forum....You're gonna want to search the service and repair for all your maintenance needs.....
I'm a year into my Supra and it just keeps getting better.....

You got the deal of the year, and shouldn't have any trouble finding rider's in 2 pieces......

Pic's
Pic's
Pic's

Montgomery
07-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Pic's
Pic's
Pic's

Do it, Do it ! ! ! !