PDA

View Full Version : Walk me through the process

syrupdawg
07-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Walk me through the process of changing the impeller on my '99 Launch...i have no clue how to do it. Thanks

mapleleaf
07-19-2009, 08:44 AM
If you have the manuel on your engine, it'd be a lot easier...
On the PCM 351 the impellor is on the lower starboard side front of the engine....
Basically you want to follow your raw water intake hose (black 1") from the thru hull past the transcooler and depending on your motor to the somewhere on the front of the motor where that black hose connects to the impellor housing (should be belt driven) The easiest way I've found is to loosen the bolts on the housing, remove the belt, then remove the entire housing, take it to a work bench to get the impellor out of it......
Remember to mark the inlet and outlet before removing the housing from the motor, if you don't you can put it back on upside down and reverse the spin on the impellor, causing the motor to over heat....
I'm a rookie at this, but it worked for me.....fairly simple, might take an hour or so.......

You can also search impellor here and find more info ........

beast 496
07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
do you have an inmar engin? If so the pump is located on the crankshaft, the pump is a Johnson pump. The front cover has 4 small bolts, these take a 5/16 wrench to remove. Remove the cover plate and gasket, pay attention how the plate was origianlly bolted on. When cover is removed, you can see the impellor. I use an impellor puller, which has two jaws and a remover bolt. You might be able to gently pry the old impellor out off the splined shaft. If blades are missing, remove the output hose at the thermostat housing, remove any blades which may be impedded in the housing. The new impellor will come with some lubricant. If none can be found, try some KY Jelly. Lube the housing with lubricant, gently rotate the impellor, the correct rotation for the engine, into the pump housing. Once impellor is installed, replace the gasket with supplied new and install cover plate. Be carefull not to overtighten the screws. Good luck Al

syrupdawg
07-19-2009, 10:47 PM
thanks for the help it doesnt seem to hard...my impeller housing is on the crankshaft...but i have another question? My pump is leaking out of the rear of the housing? Is there a seal there?

beast 496
07-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, there is a seal and brg's. If leak is present, the pump will need to be completely rebuilt. New brg's and seal's. The pump will need to be removed from cranks shaft to rebuild. Or you can buy a new or remanufacted pump assy. Allan

syrupdawg
07-20-2009, 07:17 AM
how much do the new pumps usually run cost wise?

beast 496
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
It should be a Johnson pump. F6b-9 Cost should be around $195.00