PDA

View Full Version : bought it

techsledder
07-20-2009, 08:56 AM
So I picked up that 1990 Sunsport I was talking about on the general forum (see thread looking at 1991 Supra Sunsport) this weekend for a great deal! My wife is very excited about it especially after I told her it’s her birthday and anniversary present. ;) Now all I have to do is fix ‘er up! Wish me luck on the engine and carb cleaning…pictures to follow.

saltare inverts
07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
So exciting. Good luck. We must insist you do not write her asking for technical help unless you post some pics for us. We will still help but we need pics. What a good birthday and anniv. present.

RED WINE ROCKER
07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
......Birthday/anniversary present?!?!..........oh please....

techsledder
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
...There is no shame in dual-purpose present purchases... especially when your bride is VERY frugal and the time frame b/t the dates is only 4 days.

saltare inverts
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Since it is hers, is she doing all repairs, upgrades and cleaninng? I bet she wants a tower for christmas.

Salty87
07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
ha, i was thinking the same thing....never have to think hard to find a present for her now

smart thinking

87SunSportMikeyD
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice Work!! :) :) :)

techsledder
08-03-2009, 11:18 AM
The boat's not finished yet, but I am geeked to get it done now! My family had a small reunion up at our cottage near Cradon, WI this weekend and I wakeboarded for the first time since high school / college (at least back in 1995-2000 was the last time). Wow! I am hooked again and wicked sore! I also biffed a few times Salom skiing, which I have been doing since I was 6 yrs old, but man when your older it's harder to recover. I can't wait to get the Sunsport rolling again!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech sounds great but this thread needs some pictures STAT I think vacation pictures would fit the bill nicely lets see 'em!!!!!

techsledder
08-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Boarding technique is suspect... I almost crashed real hard here.

Skiing was better, but I have to regain my strength & turns!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I usually tell people to push your chest out and keep the handle pulled in to your hips. Are you jumping wakes here?

techsledder
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
"Are you jumping wakes here?" Shaa, I wish I could tell you that, but sadly I am just bollixing-up a wake crossing. Somehow I have bit more speed than my body anticipated and shot out a bit fast. That's an "oh sheets" maneuver to try from yard sale-ing it across the lake. Like I said, it’s been a long time since I have been on a board. I have some practicing to do before I get to wake 2 wake jumps. I can’t believe how out of shape one can get after sitting behind a desk pushing a mouse around for 8 - 12 hours a day…sick.

techsledder
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
So far so good, she runs! :D
checklist of items completed:
-Distributor cap/rotor/points/cond.
-spark plug wires
-engine water pump
-fuel separator
-starter solenoid
-new impeller & gasket
-oil change & filter
-carb. rebuild
-v belts
-drive shaft packing adjusted

Items needing attention:
Funky sound coming from one of the blowers... sound like a bad bearing.
Bilge pump is not working... light on the helm for bilge pump #1 is always on. Faulty ground? Shot motor?
Some carpet needs reglueing after those dam raccoons had their way with it. Any suggestions on what brand works well? I have some in the engine shroud to re-affix and up near the helm's foot area and in the bow.

mapleleaf
08-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Carpet adhesive......Henry's 667 outdoor latex based available at Lowes, grabs like a mother and dries relatively quickly, water cleanup......

techsledder
08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Here she is all cleaned up!

techsledder
08-13-2009, 10:47 AM
... and some more!

techsledder
08-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks Maple for the suggestion... I'll get on it tonight.

wotan2525
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Here she is all cleaned up!

whoa.... looking REALLY clean!!!

Salty87
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
WoW! not sure which is cleaner....the boat or the garage

great job, nice find too

mapleleaf
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Here I go again, did you say she was cleaned up and forsale?
Perfect I love it and I'll take it!!!!
your boat looks amazing nice work, lets see somepic's of that thing in action!!!!
And I'm with Salty only I think I found a spec of dirt on the garage floor!

chautauquasun
08-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Great looking boat...looks like it is in fantastic shape. I am also jealous of the garage...seems like everyone on here has an incredible shop and garage...I need one!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Holy crap! That boat just keeps looking better and better you should send Haugy a thank you card for posting that listing lol! Are you gonna put a tower on it? Looks like you're pretty excited taking pics during the ride home. When we bought ours I took video of us unloading the boat for our test drive lolol I still like to watch it. Garage looks fun! BTW she is a surf monster hope you are gettin ready for fun! Gonna need some sacs too hehe

techsledder
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys for all comment on the boat! I would love to take credit on being the owner of that garage, but unfortunately I was only a visitor; it’s owned by the proprietor of Lake Country Portering in Hartland/North Lake, WI. Scott (owner) did an awesome job with cleaning her up! I really didn’t have the time to put into her and he and his guys go it done in a day, so I am happy. I will be building a garage on our property some day…I’d be glad to have it look as immaculate as this one!
Mikey, who’s Haugy?
send Haugy a thank you card for posting that listing I bought this boat from my best friend… You must be thinking of someone else on here. A tower… someday, maybe… my wonderful wife has already been asking about them too, without prompting from me! So maybe sometime in the next season or so. Surfing, for sure! Since I was a little kid I have always wanted to surf, and now with the new/used boat that dream should come to fruition.
Sorry Maple, she’s not for sale right now… I could be looking at divorce papers if I do that right now. My wife loves her!

Fishman
08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
tech, great to hear a fellow cheesehead so pumped about your boat and skiing again. I started wboarding 4 years ago and now that's all I do...everytime I get done getting pulled, I am grinning ear to ear.

Good luck over LD weekend....Will the little mrs. be pulling you?

dshaff24
08-23-2009, 11:55 PM
wow great looking boat! how much if you don't mind me askin?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Oooops my bad I was thinking of Jonathan_03 on this forum, Haugy is another Supra enthusiast but he posts more on wakeboarder.com.

He posted this thread of a boat similar to yours for sale in the northwest.
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=82964&start=0

Pretty sure Jon_03 has a thread about it on Supra forums now. Oops!

:oops:

techsledder
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
No worries Mikey! Wow, that boat of Jonathan's looks like it could be a twin of mine! ...cept of course the tower now.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Hah yeah I think that's what got me - they could be twins! It's always nice to see what it looks like with the tower hehe! Again good luck! If you are ready to surf all it really takes is a 750lb sac in the rear corner on the floor.

techsledder
08-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Not surfing ready yet Mikey. I may have a few kinks to figure out before the end of the season... I am hopeful for next season though!

I just ran over to a lake 16 miles away last night and ran 'er. The boat worked great! It was running great at low speeds and 3/4 full speed but it developed a little vibration after about an hour or so running and it was present at varying speeds but mostly at the speed right before plane-ing. I never ran her at WOT. Could it be the prop shaft nuts need adjusting? 3-4 drips/minute right? Fluid level is fine in the tranny and it’s clean.

My rudder stuffing box nuts need adjusting as they were leaking a little too much. 2-3 drips/minute for that, right?

Also a little dust/dirt burning off the top of the engine as a small amount of “smoke” (I think that’s what it was?) was rising up from the heads on the engine after I lifted up the engine cover after that hour run time. I may just spray ‘er down good with engine cleaner and rinse it off. Engine temps varied between 140-160 degrees F.

Gas level gauge or sender is not working (I knew this before buying it) so the level warning lamp was always lit.

Also the original Depth sounder is not working and is flashing “0” all the time. Did you guys have the old Lawrence brand box above your dash with your sender mounted right below the engine/tranny?

It never ceases to amaze me how great the 351 engines sound! Love that rumble.

Thanks for your help again and all the kudos comments!

techsledder
08-31-2009, 10:59 AM
I loosened the shaft seal nuts about 1.5 - 2 turns and ran it again Sunday on a different lake with better drip rate and no vibration present. A little rattling noise came up though when I am running at the lowest fwd speed (just in gear from neutral). I will check alignment tonight after work now that I read the procedure in the manual last night.

Since my gas gauge is still non-functional, if you run 'er down to 1/4 or past 1/4 tank full will the boat have a hard time staying running at idle? When we got back to the launch on Sunday I had a problem keeping it idling. She ran great the rest of the trip!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
I would re-check the timing too.

techsledder
09-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah, Mikey, I'll check that also.

I think I found the source of the rattling noise. The rudder cable is attached to the rudder via a bolted joint. At which there is a u-bracket from the cable. That bracket appears to be not totally secure. Do you know if you guys running older boats have this set-up? I will try and take a picture of it tonight and post it. Maybe it’s missing a plastic bushing?