PDA

View Full Version : '86 TS6M improvements while restoring ideas

artmac
07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I have had my boat since new. I am in the process of restoring it.

I would like to improve on it since I am going to the hull and back up. An example that comes to mind (or has bugged me since new) is the gas tank vent allowing gas to empty into the lake when it is full and you turn starboard (right).

I would like to hear tips from you on what you guys did when restoring your boats that will make them better. I am sure Supra has improved a lot of things on the boat over the years and I am unaware of them. Please share if you don't mind.

I plan on changing the points to electronics and possibly putting the Holley fuel injection on in place of the carb. Input on these ideas (worth the effort and $$$$$) and any you can share will be great.

I look forward to having as beautiful a boat as the ones I have seen pictured on many of your threads (like when I bought it). Just lots of work ahead.

saltare inverts
07-20-2009, 05:45 PM
It would be much more cost effective and more reliable to stick with a carb, in my opinion. Electronic fuel injection is costly and you may gain only slight horsepower improvement. There are millions of boats running perfect with carbs. Def. change to electronic points, much better setup. Most of the changes I see are electronic. Perfect pass, gps etc. Leds are low amp draw and look cool. They also attract less bugs. If you want ballast, automatic set up is way to go. There are lots of upgrades and changes but that are mostly cosmetic. Depends on main use of your boat. Wakeboarding, slalom, barefoot, hydrofoil, trick skis or just rockin the boat.;)

Salty87
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
what's the plan for the restoration? how far are you tearing it down?

Blackntan90
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I hated the fuel coming out of the vent, so I installed Racor lifegaurd fuel/air seperator- now I have to be careful, or it will come out of the fillpipe.But at least I can hear it coming now. It was a very simple install, and fuel does not come out of the vent anymore!

artmac
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks to all for the replies!!!

As far as recommendations, I was thinking in terms of making the thing last longer than Supra thought of or did in '86.

Thoughts such as drain holes in certain places to drain everything to the middle and eventually the bilge pump, using certain materials for stringers when replacing or injecting something into the existing stringers so they don't have to be cut out and replaced now & then last longer, drain hole from the driver's footwell to the middle/bilge pump, etc. Those kind of ingeinous ideas that forums such as this always come up with.

As far as how far am I taking her down, no further than I have to. I saw your rebuild thread and am thoroughly impressed. I am sure you learned many things to improve the Supra while that adventure was undertaken. I know for sure the floor is toast, I also have found some stringer problems where the gas tank sat (lags pulled out not unscrewed) and also behind the starboard motor mount about 4" I could dig out rotted wood. So, I know at least a partial (or possbily total) stringer rebuild is in order. Like I mentioned above, is there something you can inject into "spot" problems in a stringer to avert the rot. I will learn more next weekend when I get to attack further.

Also, if you would, please provide additioanal detail (where to buy, where to install, any pointers, etc.) on the Racor separator. I have always hated the vent/gas thing.

Again, thanks and looking forward to some great input.

Salty87
07-21-2009, 09:58 AM
these were my main improvements...
- limber holes thru stringers to let water get into the bilge
- pre-pouring foam so it doesn't clog up the drainage
- no notching of the new stringers for cross-supports

i thought there was another but i can't remember it now.

i haven't tried any of the rot dr type products. everything depends on what you find under the old floor. and, with stringers notched every 5' or so for cross-supports, mine were doomed if not totally rotten already.

good luck!

csuggs
07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project. Post some pics as you go along so that we can also learn from you!
As for the gas leaking out the vent, I would try a longer hose between the tank and through-hull fitting, and then put a twist or "cork-screw" effect into the hose. I don't know how much or little room you have on the Comp, but you might be able to take a short piece of 1" diameter PVC and wrap the vent line around it - just make sure that the loops can't fall into a position that would trap the gas and prevent proper venting.
Still thinking about that one . . . .

Blackntan90
07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Not sure about looping the hose, you might get fuel in the loop. I found the fuel/air seperator at overtons.com, look under the fuel tanks tab.

csuggs
07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Not sure about looping the hose, you might get fuel in the loop. I found the fuel/air seperator at overtons.com, look under the fuel tanks tab.

You're probably right - that was kind of a pipe dream! I must have been thinking of the curly tubes on an old whiskey still!