PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X on windows

Fman
07-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I was getting tired of water spots on my windows at the end of the day, so I thought I would try some Rain-X on them and glad I did. That stuff works fantastic to keep water spots off your windows! The water beads off and wont stick and spot, even in 100+ degree heat.

Thumbs up for Rain-X!

cptsupra
07-21-2009, 02:08 AM
I completely agree with how well it works on the windshield. Just a word of caution on the appication though. Go with the wipes. The aerosol and liquid bottles, if dripped or oversprayed on gel coat, chrome, or vinyl can eat away whatever protective coating exists on those objects. You will notice pitting in the exact pattern of the drip or overspray. Found this out the hard way on my car, and ended up having to get my hood repainted.

csuggs
07-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll try that (the wipes, that is!)

michael hunter
07-21-2009, 08:52 AM
For water spots I use 30% white vinegar 70% water with a mist sprayer. After we are out of the water I mist the hull and windshield during wipe down. It removes all the water spots and makes me hungry for a salad. The Rain X works great with wave splash and rain.

Montgomery
07-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I Rain-X'ed almost the entire hull one time just to see if it would help with water spots and it definitely helped for a while ;)

Fman
07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Did it have any effect on the gelcoat when you applied it to your hull? Someone mentioned it would eat through the gelcoat?

Montgomery
07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Doesn't seem to have had any affect on it at all I only put it on there once just to see what the results would be, it worked for a couple months

cptsupra
07-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Did it have any effect on the gelcoat when you applied it to your hull? Someone mentioned it would eat through the gelcoat?

I mentioned the eating through the gel coat. My faulty assumption on that. It ate through my clear coat on my car, so my bad assumption that it would do similar damage to gel coat. Not that it matters for me. I won't use it on anything but glass. I use the wipes and have no issues. I leave my boat in (when I am home) and I take it out to detail the hull every two weeks. Every other time that I clean the hull I reapply the rainx.