PDA

View Full Version : Carb....I cann't win!

denwbaseball
07-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok so I my new (rebuilt) carb came in the mail today and its not the same exact carb that I have on my boat now. I asked for a 4160....and I got a List-7128. It looks almost the same the connections for the throttle and choke are all in the same place but the one thing that is much different is the fuel intake.. It still is coming down on the correct side at a 45degree angle but instead of the normal one this one has about a 1" bare pipe coming down...can I make this work or do I need to send it back and waste another 2 weeks not on the water?

csuggs
07-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Maybe you need a fuel line adapter of some sort?

denwbaseball
07-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Yea seems like that would work...is there such thing?

saltare inverts
07-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Duct tape should do the trick. Just kidding. I bet it will work. Put up some pics, well figure it out.

denwbaseball
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Also I don't remember the "holes" on my carb...do I have to plug any of these?

agetech
07-21-2009, 10:58 PM
That is not a marine carb. A marine carb does not have externally adjustable floats. If this carb is not calibrated for marine use, it will just be a headache until it is replaced. Believe me, I tried to use a Holley truck avenger for a year but I could never get the boat to run right with that carb.

Look in the Holley carb store on e-bay. You can get a new marine carb for $300.

The Holley web-site has specs for each carb by list number. 7128 is not listed. Check the air horn for the correct list number.

denwbaseball
07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Here is what it says...

agetech
07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
That is a Ford part number. If that is a marine carb, the float bowls have been changed. I don't know if that part number can be checked to see what motor that carb originally fit. The vents look like they are marine style. The base on that carb has a pcv port, does your engine use the spacer with the PCV port? Also the choke on that carb looks like it uses the older style manifold heat stove into the port next to the choke. Does your boat just have 2 wires to the choke and no heat pipe?

I just don't think you will be happy with the carb in the pictures. Look for:
poor unsteady idle
hesitation or stumble on acceleration
poor fuel economy
hard to start when hot

Been there, done that. It was just frustrating trying to use the wrong part, new carb and all those problems are gone. Can't believe how easy my boat starts now, even when hot.

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Yea I don't have a spacer. And two wires to the choke and no tube. At this point I'm not real worried about the choke cause it never worked on my old one and I just want to salvage part of the season! Here are some overall pictures. All input would be greatly appriciated.

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Ok so I did some searching and skidim.com lists the LIST number 7128 under there 4160 rebuild kit...thats atleast a little incouraging.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0118-1

agetech
07-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Hook a USCG approved rubber fuel line to the fuel inlet, then double clamp it. There should be a bronze filter in the port next to the choke, don't plug that port off, it needs to pull fresh air to keep the electric choke coil cool. Any ports on the new carb that are not on the old one need to be capped. Take it out and run it, let us know how it runs.

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
thanks for the advice!

michael hunter
07-22-2009, 08:52 AM
den
What are you dong with the original carb?

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
I'll prolly send it back so I can get my core charge back($100). Did you have something else in mind?

michael hunter
07-22-2009, 10:49 AM
It doesnt look like your replacement is correct. The problem with buying a rebuilt carb
is you will get a bunch of different carb parts put together to make the rebuilt unit.
I have rarely seen one work well. What happened to your original carb rebuild?

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
everything went back together fine but it still has the same problem before the rebuild....not getting any gas out of the back to ventures.

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
What do you think I should do man?

agetech
07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Run it and see what happens. The main body is from a marine carb, the float bowls are not, hard to tell what the metering block is from, hopefully from a marine carb. It is easy to piece together a bunch of different Holley parts to make a carb. Will it work? Don't know till you try it. Wish we knew what engine that p/n is from, could be off of a 302 or a 351.

87sunsport454
07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Did you have the boat running when you checked the secondaries. Holly carbs work off of vaccum? The boat has to be running for the secondaries to open. If you run the boat and they still dont open then you have a vaccum line that is not hooked up right.

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
yea the boat was in the water running at full speed...or trying too. I'm sure the carb can be fixed but I just don't have the know how to do it....and the season is getting closer and closer to the end so I didn't want to waste anymore time trying to fix a carb that may not be able to be fixed.

If you have any easy suggestions on fixing the old one too, I'm all ears!

87sunsport454
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
can you post any pics of the new carb hooked up?

denwbaseball
07-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I can tomorrow evening....I'll have to get a new fuel line first.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
That SUCKS dennis good luck bro feelin for ya

denwbaseball
07-23-2009, 11:04 AM
How good will the rubber fuel line hook up at the pump? isn't it threaded down there....do I need anything or should I just put the hose over the threads. But I cann't really remember how it looks down there.

agetech
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
If you have the original metal fuel line you can use a short piece of rubber fuel line between it and the carb. Or you can get a threaded hose barb at the hardware store to thread into the fuel pump, then use a USCG approved rubber line from the pump to the carb. Make sure to double clamp each connection.

denwbaseball
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
will it be ok if the new fuel line "snakes" around a little bit before attaching to the carb? cause it seems like if I went the small hose route that I'd have to snake it around because the carb inlet and the metal fuel line may overlap.

agetech
07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Bend it to fit, won't hurt anything. Be careful if you ever want to use the metal line in it's original location again.

denwbaseball
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok...well out of the water on the hose its running great after a little adjustment with the idle screw. I let it get warm and started great! better than its ever started before warm and cold. Now lets hope that its running just as good in the water. What should I watch out for?

mapleleaf
07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Rocks!!! Sounds like you need to get down to the water....New fuel filter might be good to help fuel flow....
The other thing would be going too fast, these boats are so much fun when everything's working.....

denwbaseball
07-23-2009, 09:52 PM
already replaced the fuel filter....I think a new belt wouldn't hurt though!

Can I get one from a regular auto parts store or are they marine grade or something?

mapleleaf
07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
That I'm not sure of, I'd say marine application would be better, but can they really make the belt that different??? Wake Mikey might have the answer..I think he went through bunch a belts this year with some alternator woe's.....

agetech
07-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Take the old belt with you to the parts store. This is not an item that could cause a fire if it fails.