PDA

View Full Version : Bow safety chain/cable & transom tie-downs?

techsledder
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
With the new/used boat (1990 Supra Sunsport) purchase, among the list of things to do for the rig is I need some safety measures right away. I need a bow safety chain and some transom tie-down straps. The boat and trailer (original to the boat) are sans said safety equipment. What have you guys been using? I noticed a welded 1/4"-3/8” loop just below the bow eye on the trailer, I’m sure this is for the bow safety chain and I am considering using a coated cable from there to the bow eye. Also, with the swim platform being removable on mine, I am just thinking of removing the platform, placing it in the boat and strapping down the transom to the rear lifting eyes for long travels. Is this what you other guys are doing? Thanks for you help in advance…

Sluggo
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I use these and they are the bomb, but if your trailer does not have the mounts for them it will cost a little more for the mounting brackets.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Retractable_Transom_Tie_Down_Syst em&str=transom%20tie&merchID=1008&r=view

Mount brackets

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=73988&pdesc=Optional_Angled_Mounting_Bracket_For_BoatBuc kle_Retractable_Transom_Tie_Down_System&str=transom%20tie&merchID=1008&r=view

A lot of people just use this style strap that is adjusted once and then you just flip the latch to tighten. I have used these in past for both transom and bow. Currently I am using the factory boat buddy latch to keep the bow ring in place. Have heard mixed reviews on the boat buddy latch, but mine seems to work ok, but does not always automatically latch every time.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=73989&pdesc=Kwik_Lok_Transom_Tie_Downs_pair&str=transom%20tie&merchID=1008&r=view

Dave

Blackntan90
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
tech, when I bought my supra, it also lacked this safety equipment. I also have a set of rings welded to the trailer, so I got about 18" of heavy coated chain and a hook, and attached that to the front ring. On the rear I have 2 ratchet straps, 2" wide, I do not remove my fiberglass platform when towing- the straps fit very well!

michael hunter
07-22-2009, 07:19 PM
My 89 came with a long strap that goes around the rear of the boat just over the rear seat and attaches to the side rails of the trailer. Taking the swim platform off would be a pain.
On my new boat I have the straps that sluggo suggested I attach them to the swim platform brackets.

jonyb
07-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I use the Boat Buckle's for transom straps, and instead of a safety chain to scratch the black paint on my trailer, I use a coated cable with loops on both ends and a padlock.

The Boat Buckle's are badass.

saltare inverts
07-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I use a aluminum turnbuckle on the front eye that attaches to a SS hook I mounted to the trailer. On the aft of the boat I use an old belt. Just kidding. I use formentioned straps.

ngavchris
07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
My boat has a bow ring that I hook to the winch and the stern is just cradled by the trailer fenders. Had my Sunsport for 10 years and a Supra Rider for 14 years before this one and neither have ever been strapped down on the stern. Both feel really secure on the trailer. Guess that motor weight directly in the middle of the boat acts like an anchor. My brother now owns the Rider and trailers it the same way. Here is a picture of the Rider sitting on the trailer.

mapleleaf
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Could that Rider look any better???......nice looking gelcoat!!!!!

ngavchris
07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks... It has been garage kept for 26 years. It has had new flooring, partial stringer replacement(back), new decals, new interior, and of couse a good buffing. The engine is still running strong. Just found out the stringers are soft under the engine. My brother is real excited about the expense and trouble. I should have replaced the entire stringers when the floor was replaced: however, that was 12 years ago since that was done.

jonyb
07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
My boat has a bow ring that I hook to the winch and the stern is just cradled by the trailer fenders. Had my Sunsport for 10 years and a Supra Rider for 14 years before this one and neither have ever been strapped down on the stern. Both feel really secure on the trailer. Guess that motor weight directly in the middle of the boat acts like an anchor. My brother now owns the Rider and trailers it the same way. Here is a picture of the Rider sitting on the trailer.

Hope you don't have an accident or rear-end somebody. Transom straps won't completely save it, but they'll definitely help.

ngavchris
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Jonyb Yes you might be right in that scenario. My sunsports trailer is very similar but also has the large guidance poles on the front and rear. The boat cannot move any further forward when the boat is locked in with the bow ring. I hope that is never the case. We trailer these boats back and forth each trip to the lake so they see many road miles.

techsledder
07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
ngavchris, beautiful boat!
Thanks everyone for their input! I think if I got hit in the transom while trailering, I would beat that person with the bow chain/cable I am going to use for the safety measure up front. j/k... a little. I am going to take this all under advisement.
Salty, do you have a picture of your set-up?

Blackntan90
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech, if you look in my profile there is a pic of the back of my boat, and you can see how I run the straps. Personally, unless going less than a mile at slow speeds, I always strap 'er down- I have seen what can happen!

mapleleaf
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
That dash is incredible...kepp showing it off!!!!more pic's more pic's...

87SunSportMikeyD
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
My SunSport has been used since the day it was made without any rear straps. Straps are mostly for roller trailers. Did you look at his picture? The rear of the trailer has 2-foot high sideboards supported by the frame of the trailer to prevent the rear of the boat from going anywhere side-to-side. The factory trailer is more solid and secure than any boat I have ever seen. Call Skiers Choice and see what they say about it.

jonyb
08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Call Skiers Choice and see what they say about it.

http://www.westkyimports.com/forums/images/smilies2/rofl2.gif

Sorry, I had to.

You guys can think "it'll never happen to you", or "the bunks that stand 1' high on the side will keep it from moving side to side", but there's a lot more that can happen in an emergency situation or an accident.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Well your transom rings are just drilled through the fiberglass they can rip out too. I am well insured. :)

jonyb
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Just like the bow loop.

Blackntan90
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Lets see if this works...

ngavchris
08-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes that is a pretty extreme case. Would not matter how you had tied down when it comes to a sudden stop. Look at the damage to the tongue of the trailer.

michael hunter
08-07-2009, 09:17 AM
My Sunsport has a strap that goes around the rear above the rear seat. Hooks to the trailer on both sides. It prevents the boat from bouncing off the trailer and slamming back down when towing.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Transumstrap002.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Transumstrap001.jpg

87SunSportMikeyD
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Michael that is a very practical idea for older owners because they don't come with the D-Rings on transom. My old I/O had a strap like this one.

wotan2525
08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I just thought I'd chip in.... my boat doesn't have tie-downs on it, either.... but it has NEVER moved while traveling.

I typically only pull it a mile at speeds under 25MPH, but I don't worry about it at all. It's a heavy-ass boat and it would take a lot more than a sudden stop before it came off the trailer.

Salty87
08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
my turn

i used to tow without straps. the boat moved a few times but not very far. i kinda kept an eye on it, it was on my mind whenever i had to go faster than 20.

i use straps now and know the boat isn't going anywhere. i don't have to think twice about the boat staying put...potholes, curbs, turning a corner too sharp and running 1 side off the pavement, getting rear ended, someone pulling out in front of you (i don't know why people love to do that to trucks pulling trailers, they must have never driven one)...lots of ways for something to happen.

insurance might cover some damages but a ticket for an unsecured load is no joke. some places have made the fine $5k or more. if someone gets hurt, medical coverage on most insurance policies is a joke too. with a ticket and injuries, you won't have to wait long for the lawsuits. straps seem to me to be a cheap way to avoid any of that crap. i realize most of us will never get in this fictional accident but it's a bad enough scenario to me to do whatever i can to prevent it.

Blackntan90
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Salty, I could not have said it better myself...cheap insurance, and peace of mind! On a side note, look how clean Micheal Hunters trailer is!!!

techsledder
08-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah Mike, did you repaint your trailer?! Mine is in need of a little tlc on the fenders... but it's a nice original from the factory.

michael hunter
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah Mike, did you repaint your trailer?! Mine is in need of a little tlc on the fenders... but it's a nice original from the factory.

The fenders have been repainted. When the trailer was new they installed plywood with carpet on top of the fenders. They rusted the fenders within the first 2-3 years.

mapleleaf
08-11-2009, 08:05 PM
On another note, I rebuilt my rusted out fenders this year and painted my trailer. My dad and I decided to make the new fender's and step's removeable so we bolted them to the trailer frame, this has worked but has taught me a few things about trailer's....
They vibrate...a lot, I regularly tow my boat up north and maybe average a 2 hour trip to the lake I'm going to, this would be time spent at highway speeds. I had to swap out my original nuts for nylock's and have noticed a couple times that the boat's position on the bunk's is slightly different when at the launch...
Granted the driver of the Ram hit that pole do'inmaybe40 or better,I like knowing that the back of my boat is strapped to the trailer, even for short distance's....
Pretty incredible that the light pole doesn't seem to upset by the accident, Sorry Chrysler guys I guess that's why they say...
"If you can't Dodge it Ram it!"

Blackntan90
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Mapleleaf, now thats funny! Never heard that one, and I'm a dodge guy from way back!