PDA

View Full Version : ZF DD Making a whine noise

Shrob
07-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Need some advice or at least reassurance.

On my new (to me) 98 Legacy (300 hrs) the ZF 450 Direct Drive 1:1 tranny makes a bit of a whine in neutral. I pumped out old fluid and added new fluid and no change. Old fluid was pretty clean, not burnt, but a bit darker than virgin fluid.

It does seem to go away after it sits but then comes back within 1 minute or so after start up and seems to spray about if you pull the dipstick and look down inside while it is running. If it has the wrong dipstick and is low on fluid that would make some sense, but I added some while it was running before I pumped it out and still no change. It sounds similar to a power steering pump low on fluid.

It works fine, I had it out today for the first time. The MPI is nice with the altitude in Utah but the whine is noticeable when at idle, especially if you lift the engine cover. That and the injectors ticking away.

I don't think it is normal as my 86 with the Borg Warner Velvet drive is silent and it has 3x's the hours.

I just don't want to have a catastrophic failure if it is something I can prevent.

Thanks guys,