PDA

View Full Version : 90 Supra Sunsport

johnathon_03
07-23-2009, 11:56 PM
I bought this boat about 3 wks ago after fate caused me to wreck my 91 Searay 170! They were asking 13k and I gave them 10k cash and left with it in hands! The boat has a 351 with only 260hrs and was garaged every winter. The interior is in great shape. I think there is one small soft spot in the back... The carb needs to be rebuilt because it is running a little rich. Besides the carb it runs like a champ!

Since I bought it I have of course change the oil and spark plugs. Just last weekend me and 3 of my friends installed a Aerial Airborne tower, a pair of dual bullet speakers, a wake board rack, a surf/wake board rack and mirror. I also put a 640w 4 channel JBL amp and Pioneer deck. I have 3 500lb fat sacs and a tsunami pump.

I am wanting to build a ballast system this winter so if anyone has pics and ideas I would love to see them!

Also I am wanting to get modern Supra decals for the sides. Ideas would be appreciated.

Salty87
07-24-2009, 08:36 AM
sweet lookin sunsport

saltare inverts
07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Looks like one heck of a deal yu got on that boat. Looks great.

michael hunter
07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I saw your posts about this boat on another forum. Let me welcome you to the Supra forum. Your rich running condition it may be a blown power valve. As for ballast do a search for 87sunsportmikeyD. He has many posts on ballast installation. That's a sweet looking Sunsport I know you will love it.

Okie Boarder
07-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the Sunsport. That one is definitely nice. I also saw your posts on wb.com I like the way that tower looks. I've been thinking I may go with Monster or New Dimensions, but this one really caught my eye too. We'll see. I'm interested in the built-in ballast myself and I'm hoping someone will comment. I may be doing a stringer replacement sooner than later and I'd like to integrate a built-in ballast system as part of the project.

Enjoy the boat...it throws a good wake. Have you been playing around with the weight to see how it does with the three sacks?

TayTay
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Where are you from in WA? Nice looking boat.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I must admit I had an Arial mirror and was not happy with it. It didn't fit straight on my Monster, but more importantly it didn't have any quick disconnect, nor did it have a protective plastic collar to keep the metal mirror bracket from scratching the tower. Looks like yours may be better??

As far as ballast, you first choice is pumps. Do you want to use aerator pumps (silent, less power draw, but are one-way pumps so you need two pumps per sac. $30 a pump) or Simer sump pumps (a bit louder, draws a bit more power, but are reversable so only one pump per sac). I went with Simer.

About the power valve, go to Holley's website and they have a very quick and simple test to see if the power valve is bad.

Haugy first spotted the boat for sale, and I invited Jonathan to come on over!!

Don't forget to keep those pics coming!! And surf it as soon as you can, the wave is AWESOME

techsledder
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow! Your boat is the same as mine, but in better condition! Beautiful shape.

johnathon_03
06-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I have been kind of failing as a member I haven’t been updating my post very well… First of all I want to say thanks to everyone on the site and the wakeboard forum for all the help most of all Oakie Boarder, Wake Mikey, and Saltare. Without you guys I would have had a lot more trouble with all my boating problems and fixes.

Floor repair:
Ok so over the winter I ripped up the carpet in my boat and the starboard side floor because it was rotting out. I kind of just too a short cut for now when replacing the floor. I just replace about a 6ft section of the floor and tried to seal most of the foam. Then just put fiberglass mat and risen down as a quick fix but I am sure it will rot out out again. I just didn’t have the time to do it right this winter. Once I started working on installing my ballast I noticed a soft spot in the front starboard side compartment. This is probably the root of my rotting problems. I also rebuilt the base of the back bench seat because having it broken up into 3 compartments was not good for wakeboarders.

Ballast:
My next upgrade was fixed ballast. I put 2 550 sacs in the front which I will only be able to fill about 70% because there just isn’t enough room. They both have over flow and independent shut off valves that way I can shut one off and fill the other for surfing or tuning the wake. I had to do some modifying up front. There was a fiberglass wall on the back side of those compartments that had to come out so I would have more room for the sacs and storage. They were pretty much just wasting space anyway. Under the drivers helm I made a new wall to hide the sac cables and everything else and better use all the wasted space. In the back I installed one 500lb sac in the ski locker and another 500lb sac under the seat. (I have all 500lb sacs because I came across them cheap) Neither of these have over flow yet because I didn’t have the parts, but I will be installing them soon. I put 2 Simer reversible pumps in the back locker and wired the switches under the driver helm. I have been having nothing but problems with the simmer pumps and plan on going to aerator pumps as soon as I get them ordered. I also have one more 550lb sac for the floor and have plans on getting one more 550. I want this boat to be a wake monster!

I have also had my carb completely rebuilt and tuned professionally. A friend and I tried to do it last year and we just didn’t get it clean enough. This makes a world of difference
I just ordered a OJ 15x14.5 4 blade prop from SKIDIM I should be getting it by the end of the week. I am stoked to see how much better it performs because with all the weight in my boat it takes forever to get planed and up to speed.

I live up in western WA which is one of the worst places on earth it feels like. It has been 100% cloud cover and raining for the last week and a half. Its been 90-100 just about everywhere else. So far this summer is horrible. :mad:

I will try to get pics up as soon as possible.

Wow its 4:30 in the morning and I just wrote a novel it feels like

wotan2525
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Congrats.... I missed this thread when you bought the boat.... looks like a true survivor! Glad to hear it's been working out for you. Any thoughts a year later on that Aerial tower? I just helped a friend install one a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed by it but I'm still maintaining my skepticism....

87SunSportMikeyD
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the floor. What problems are you having with the Simers? They are rock solid for me never an issue. We are having so-so weather in MN too - I havent even been out yet! Cryyyyyy

johnathon_03
06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Here are some pics as promised

I will try to get some pics of my upgrade as soon as i get the ballast all installed.

Should have it done by this weekend.

Yes I love the Aerial tower! It looks killer and you cant beat the price. I got my whole set up for $1800 me and 3 friends put it on in about 6 hours last summer. It seems real sturdy. We do flips off of it all the time and I have had a few drunk girls hanging off of it dancing :D

Mikey I couldnt get them to prime... I finally got one to prime and it took forever to fill.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
That is odd because the Simers are suppossed to be self-priming. My pump is not even close to a water source - the water gets sucked up through at least 5' of hose before it gets to the pump. The pump has never had any issues with and that is what the impellor design is suppossed to do.

Thanks for the sweet pics! That girl in the black is smokin hehe

techsledder
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Nice! The surf pic gives me hope. Someday I'll surf behind my '90... just have to find the time to outfit 'er.

Kudos to you and your drunk girl passengers!

bryan632
07-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Sweet set-up man! love it all. It's good to hear someone else put on an Airborne tower and likes it. that picture with all the girls gave me an idea for a ballast system.... Now I just need to find 9 or 10 hot girls to hang out on my back seat! haha

sunsport22
08-11-2010, 12:41 PM
did you modify the ski locker at all or just put the bag in?

johnathon_03
08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Na I just put the bag in the ski locker as it is. It holds up just fine.