PDA

View Full Version : Bad electical issues, need advice

Fordx4
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
My electrical problem on my 2006 Launch 21V has continued to grow until its now almost an all out failure in my accessories. It started out with just my navigation lights not working, figured it was a loose wire or something so did not worry about it too much. Now all the electronics are starting to fail and they all now link to one another. Ill just give you a list of the issues so you know. None of the lights navigation and the rear lights will turn on by their switches anymore, the interior lights do still come on. When the radio switch it turned on and the radios power button pressed, the backlight on the radio turns on and off and you can hear a popping sound coming from the speakers. The blower and horn do not work anymore. But even weirder is when your press the horn the top light on the double toggle switch of the navigation lights turns on. When you turn on multiple switches some things with start to come on such as the bottom position of the navigation lights and any other switch flipped will turn on the navigation lights but not when just that switch is pressed. My sump pump does not work anymore. I went out in it last week to check on the engine if it was having any problem, did not have a single problem starting up or running, but I did notice while I was out my PerfectPass LCD decided to wig out and just had lines running across it. I had to turn off the boat and crack it back up to get it back to normal. I need some analysis on this before I start ripping stuff apart or take it to the dealership and happily get to pay a fortune for them to figure it out.

wotan2525
07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
You've got (what sounds like) a bad ground somewhere. Clean all your battery terminals and make sure they are tight... then find the master ground (should be on the engine block somewhere) and make sure it's clean and tight. Follow any black wires you can and make sure they are connected/tight/clean. Obviously the engine grounds itself through the driveshaft.... you've got a shaky connection somewhere else but I bet you $100 it's on the ground side of things.

Fordx4
07-24-2009, 04:40 PM
You've got (what sounds like) a bad ground somewhere. Clean all your battery terminals and make sure they are tight... then find the master ground (should be on the engine block somewhere) and make sure it's clean and tight. Follow any black wires you can and make sure they are connected/tight/clean. Obviously the engine grounds itself through the driveshaft.... you've got a shaky connection somewhere else but I bet you $100 it's on the ground side of things.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a ground also so Ive been looking for over 2 hours and I finally found it and fixed all my problems as far as I know now. So you were right it was a grounding issue thats now solved.

Fordx4
07-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Well took the boat out tonight to run it around after everything works again and my navigation lights and dash lights all went out at the same time. Everything else still works but these went out. Its dark and did not really want to mess with it so I have not tried to diagnose it, anyone have any advice before I start poking around tomorrow?

wotan2525
07-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Well took the boat out tonight to run it around after everything works again and my navigation lights and dash lights all went out at the same time. Everything else still works but these went out. Its dark and did not really want to mess with it so I have not tried to diagnose it, anyone have any advice before I start poking around tomorrow?

If they went at the same time you need to look at the common place where they connect.... my guess is that a common ground for them broke or is corroded. Do you have a multimeter? It should be easy to test at the bow-light for +12v on the positive side and checking for continuity between the ground leg and the block. Does that make sense?