PDA

View Full Version : removing wake plate

wakingup
07-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Has anyone ever remove there wakeplate.Im currently running mine flat to the bottom of the boat and like my wake,but as i was putting new lights on my trailor today i just looked up and wondered.My brothers boat is a malibu with the wedge but weighted down it puts out a nice size wake (with the wedge up).So for craps and giggles i just wondered if anyone had tried it.let me know or ill be the first to try and see what it does.why not:D

rludtke
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
The manual suggests that the purpose of the wake plate is "anti-cavitation". This would suggest that the wake plate is areally to fix to an inherant problem with the hull, and the sales department decided to highlight as an enhancement. The ability to adjust the wakes shape may just have been a bonus.

I can't speak from any experience, but it is possible that you won't be happy with the boats performance without it.

wakingup
07-24-2009, 10:33 PM
The manual suggests that the purpose of the wake plate is "anti-cavitation". This would suggest that the wake plate is areally to fix to an inherant problem with the hull, and the sales department decided to highlight as an enhancement. The ability to adjust the wakes shape may just have been a bonus.

I can't speak from any experience, but it is possible that you won't be happy with the boats performance without it.

i hear ya but hell it isnt BUT 23 screws holding it on.ill let ya know how it works .im gonna try it sunday.

jonyb
07-25-2009, 08:37 AM
The wakeplate on my boat can keep teh boat from porposing, so it's much more than a wakeplate.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah the wake plate is 'anti-cavitation' - If you are experiencing cavitation or vibration you can change the angle the boat drives through the water with the wake-plate. Also if the boat is too 'nose-high' in the air, you can put the plate down a bit and correct it.

If you have a manual wakeplate, I have heard it is possible to set the plate 'above-horizontal' position, similar to removing the plate or removing all water displacement at the transom of the boat.

Personally though I think it works best at just a touch 'down-from-horizontal' position when weighted.

mapleleaf
07-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I've got my manuel plate a bit up from horizontal and the wake is the biggest it's ever been, but with some sacrifice, the boat definitely handles chop worse as the nose isn't being pushed down as much......after reading this thread I think I'm going to lower it before my next run.... I liked it when it could push through the chop a little better!

wakingup
08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
i removed it for craps and giggles and it didnt work for crap.if you want to ride a "wheelie" all the way across the lake .it wouldnt plain out for nothing .it was worth it thou now i know it was put on for a reason LOL

Curtis
08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I bent mine slightly up and can see a SLIGHT difference in the wake, made it not case over as much...I have a comp that throws an awesome wake without any weight and dont understand why some folks talk about a comp's wake being small....I dont get it?? as soon as I get a chance and think to bring the camera I will post pics of the wake...better yet just got my new GoPro camera in maybe a video or 2 to come!! Stay Tuned...

jonyb
08-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I've lowered mine down a few times by taking the machined screws out of it, such as when I'm draining the oil. Now I'm having a problem with losing those screws because the rams are plastic and they were threaded. Guess I'm gonna have to get some longer bolts, nuts, and lockwashers. <--So remember this when you guys remove yours or disconnect it from the rams.

rludtke
08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a comp that throws an awesome wake without any weight and dont understand why some folks talk about a comp's wake being small....I dont get it??

At 30 or 32 mph, the Comps wake is just tiny, it is just a feather to cross on the slalom ski. :0] Actuall, at slow speed and zero ballast, my wake is pretty big near the boat, but it's not terribly large or well shaped at the end of the rope. I think the addition of ballast will increase the size and improve the shape of the wake farther behind the boat.

wakingup
08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
i went out yesterday and put my plate level with the bottom of the boat .had 6 people and 900 lbs of ballast in the back and 300 in the front and the wave was huge you actually rode down in to it before you jump .my boat is a 88 bravura and i have the acme 912 prop and it plained out quick it was nice

87SunSportMikeyD
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Wakinup sounds like we are running almost the same setup. Lets see some pics!

Sacymn
08-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Its raining here for the last week or so. I will get pics of my boat and of the wake board wake and the surf wave next time we go out. Anyone screw around with the trim plate angle?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Wakinup your boat is RH rotation??????????????????

wotan2525
08-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Its raining here for the last week or so. I will get pics of my boat and of the wake board wake and the surf wave next time we go out. Anyone screw around with the trim plate angle?

I put my wakeplate all the way down last week to try out for surfing. With ~2000lbs in my boat it made the wave much longer (but still plenty beefy to ride.) I was thrilled.

My roomate, the wakeboarder, not so happy! He took it out on Saturday morning and said even with ~1200lbs in the boat the wake was super flat and impossible to launch off of. We're currently having a debate about where this wakeplate is going to be permanently mounted. (hint: I make the payments on the boat.)

I told him he could buy some hydraulic trim tabs for wakeboarding.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Check out Bennett hydrolic trim tabs I'm not sure how much they are but couldn't be more than $150 I wouldn't think... IMO if you put it down a little but not all the way you get the best of both worlds. It adds a little peak but doesn't flatten it out. Also it handles chop a bit better.

wotan2525
09-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I think the bennett kit is around $300. I told my roomie to buy it if he wants to wakeboard. :p

87SunSportMikeyD
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Youch! :) Pricey