PDA

View Full Version : Boat Problems, wondering if its unique...

blaze5012
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
This may seem sort of rant-ish but its really gotten on my nerves lately. My family has a 2006 Launch 24SSV gravity games edition. Ever since we have had it, there has been problem after problem, heres an abbreviated list of just recent problems:

-replace prop *one blade broke off of prop in 100ft of water* -likely not a supra issue i understand but still quite annoying.
-replace ballast pump
-replace both amps and sub, burned out
-replace one amp again
-replace tower lights twice
-repeatedly fix drivers right side panel, screw dont hold panel down
-replace 3 different speakers
-replace swim platform

These are just recent things in addition to constantly tightening screws and fixing small things that go wrong. Just last week I am driving and one side of the swim platform detached and was dragging in the water.

Yes I have been around boats since I was born and they are all going to break and have problems, its the nature of the game. I had an MC before this and had half as many problems as I have had with this boat and I have only had it for 3 years, with just over 260 hours. I just would like to know from any of you guys if this is how Supra is. Its possible I have just gotten really unlucky and would like to know if many of you have this many problems?? This would be helpful in any future purchase decisions years down the road.

Finally, just to top all of this off, I may have the most incompetent dealer in the country. Just got my boat out of the shop again, go straight to the boat ramp and the engine wont even crank. The dealer drained the dual battery setup and I had to get a jump from a nice guy while on the ramp. This is the second time they have done this in addition to wiring several things incorrectly that I have fixed on my own with little wiring experience.

Sorry for the rant just would like to know how my experience compares to other on the forum. When the boat is in full working order, I love the boat aside from a few minor things I would change. Im not looking to get on anyones nerves with this, just would like to know how my experience compares to you other guys, especially those of you with the Gravity Games editions.
________
Suzuki RE5 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_RE5)

jonyb
07-24-2009, 10:28 PM
had all kinds of problems with mine too. I guess you get what you pay for....

Your stereo problems aren't a Supra problem though. I was ranting about the crappy stereo that came in my boat but blown speakers are caused by distortion.

The amp problem could be a few things. I know when they built mine they put cupholders above the amps, and everytime it rained the amps got soaked until I put a drain hose on the cupholders.

Piss-poor Supra. Everybody's tired of my bitching too, but I really don't care. It's not like anyone from Skier's Choice watches this board.

Fman
07-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Have they repaired everything that has been taking a dump on your boat (warranty)? assuming the swim platform bolts came loose and fell off??? or did it actually break off the boat?

I have 86 hours on mine this year, my biggest headache was the dealer I took the boat in to have an 02 sensor replaced flashed the ECU with the wrong software! so my perfect pass would not work at all. It took about a week to get it resolved, but it was handled, other than this no major problems other than a few screws needing tightening every now and then.

I just completed my upgrade today to a much better ballast fill system, I am running seperate tsunami's for each bag, MUCHO better than the old setup. I am gone this week on vacation with the boat, it will be a good test run on how they work. Took it out on the lake today and everything seems to be working great. That is my only gripe about this boat was the one pump with sprinkler valve setup.... guess that is why the 09's are running seperate JABSCO impeller driven pumps, definitely an upgrade from the RULE 2000.

I paid $40k for a brand new loaded 22V sunsport, hard to complain about anything. If I had $80k to spend on any boat, there are better options out there. I dont think SUPRA is the "premier" boat, but I do believe they make a good upper end wakeboard boat that does compete with Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautiques. Friend of mine has an 07 X15 MC, we have the exact same running gear. I personally prefer the SUPRA fit and finish over the MC X15. My boat does everything and more I need it to do for my family and I. I guess time will tell how well it holds up, we run it hard, so it will be a good test for it.

Anyway, just my .02

purple boat
07-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Sounds like you guys have gotten the boats that were built on fridays. I have an 88 Sunsport. Runs and drives solid. I put some work into it, but nothing unusual for a 20 year old boat. By the way, it gives a darn good wake for a boat that was designed not to throw one!

blaze5012
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Have they repaired everything that has been taking a dump on your boat (warranty)? assuming the swim platform bolts came loose and fell off??? or did it actually break off the boat?

Well some of it was under warranty which was helpful. The bolt broke on one side of the platfrom so it was hanging by just one side.
________
video reviews (http://videoreviews.org)

KY Steve
07-27-2009, 08:22 AM
I just completed my upgrade today to a much better ballast fill system, I am running seperate tsunami's for each bag, MUCHO better than the old setup.

Give us the specifics on how you plumbed this when you get back, I would like to do something similar.