PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problems

Crowther
07-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and any help would be appreciated. I have a 87 Supra Comp. I just got new wire, spark plugs, timing adjusted, new points, and a brand new interstate battery on my boat, cost $650.00. I get my boat on the water and is working fine for about 3 to 4 hours and then stopped for a swim and after about five cranks the battery makes that dead battery sound and won't start. I had my stereo off the only thing that was on was my lowrance 522 depthfinder. The depthfinder was reading between 13.3 and 13.9 on the volt meter all day, so i don't think it the alternator and the battery cables look new. The only thing a have not checked is the negitive battery cable that is grounded to the block. any suggestions

rludtke
07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and any help would be appreciated. I have a 87 Supra Comp. I just got new wire, spark plugs, timing adjusted, new points, and a brand new interstate battery on my boat, cost $650.00. I get my boat on the water and is working fine for about 3 to 4 hours and then stopped for a swim and after about five cranks the battery makes that dead battery sound and won't start. I had my stereo off the only thing that was on was my lowrance 522 depthfinder. The depthfinder was reading between 13.3 and 13.9 on the volt meter all day, so i don't think it the alternator and the battery cables look new. The only thing a have not checked is the negitive battery cable that is grounded to the block. any suggestions

When I first got my Comp, I had trouble starting after using the boat for a while. The solution was replacing all of the big battery cables. My negative cable was corroded several feet up the cable from the engine block end, and no matter how clean the block connection was, the cable's resistance was to great. When coupled with warm engine compartment and an older starter, the results were just what you are experiencing. My recomendation is to take a close look at your battery cables, and unless they are reletively new, replace them. And make sure all all positive and negative cable connections are clean and tight upon reassembly. I think your problem will go away.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum.

Crowther
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Rick

I bought my boat last summer and don't know if the cables are new or old, but i will replace them and see if it works

gerdy
07-26-2009, 03:12 PM
i had a similar issue i cleaned all my connections and it solved my problem.
good luck!

87SunSportMikeyD
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Rick should be on the money here! If the cables make cracking noises when you bend them they are no good. Also make sure your connections are all wrench-tight.

87sunsport454
07-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I had that very same problem. I kept changing batteries, starters and checking connections until someone told me to replace all of the cables. That fixed my problem right away.

Crowther
07-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies. I took my starter up to the local repair store and they told me my starter was bad and that it would draw
alot of amps if it was on it's last leg. I checked my cables and they look brand new. I even cut into the cable to see if they looked bad, but they looked good. If the starter doesn't fix it I will replace the cables anyway. I will kept every one posted

Crowther
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks again everyone. I got my starter back and hooked it up and it started like a engine on crack. The whole family went out to the lake and didn't have to be towed in. I would of never thought it was the starter. Thanks again