PDA

View Full Version : vapor lock

jeilers1
07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I ran my boat for about 2 hours surfing this weekend and then stopped for about 15-20 mins and let it sit. I went to fire it up again and it started initially then died at idle and wouldn't re-fire. Let it sit for 15 mins with engine cover open and it finally re started. Is this common? I have 40 hrs and it has never happened before. How can it be prevented?

SZEH
07-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I ran my boat for about 2 hours surfing this weekend and then stopped for about 15-20 mins and let it sit. I went to fire it up again and it started initially then died at idle and wouldn't re-fire. Let it sit for 15 mins with engine cover open and it finally re started. Is this common? I have 40 hrs and it has never happened before. How can it be prevented?

Seems to be a common problem. I ran into the same thing this weekend for the first time. Check out this thread and you'll see what other Supra owners a running into. I kept my fingers crossed hoping I wouldn't run into this, but now it seems I'll need to deal with this same issue.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=2010

I'm going to check with my dealer today to see what cna be done. I had this boat since new in 2006 with no problems until this weekend.

Scott

jonyb
07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The dealers are giving and extra low-pressure fuel pump to put just after the fuel tank. That's what the warranty department is doing. I've had this trouble a lot.

You can also pour cold water from your cooler on it to bring the fuel back to liquid.

SZEH
07-27-2009, 01:31 PM
The dealers are giving and extra low-pressure fuel pump to put just after the fuel tank. That's what the warranty department is doing. I've had this trouble a lot.

You can also pour cold water from your cooler on it to bring the fuel back to liquid.

Thanks...I stopped by the dealer today and they said that's it's due to the greater addition of ethanol to the fuel. They said to try a new fuel filter first and if that doesn't fix it we'll talk about adding the extra fuel pump. I imagine we'll be discussing the fuel pump in the near future.

They also told me that SC is developing a fix for this issue...probably a low pressure fuel pump sold through SC and that the current low pressure fuel pump is a fix through Indmar. In any event it sounds like this is a big enough problem that has been happening for several years and that possibly the ethanol in the fuel is just making the issue worse.

This forum has been great! It's nice to walk into the service department and at least have a clue ahead of time as to what I'm talking about. Thanks for everyone's help and advice. And I thought that cold ice water was just to keep the beer cold!

Scott