PDA

View Full Version : Foam Floatation

chautauquasun
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
For those Supra owners who have replaced their stringers...did you replace the foam floatation after installing the new stringers and floor or did you leave it out? It seems that is a big problem in how the water is trapped in these boats.

1. If you did replace the floatation, what modifications did you make to allow water to flow to the bilge?
2. If i dont replace it what affects does it have on the boat's performance? I understand it has a huge impact if the boat is sinking or taking on water or has a hole in the hull?
3. Did anyone not replace the foam floatation?
4. When replacing the foam floatation...what did you use?

thanks for your help.

Dan

87sunsport454
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I took mine out and left it out. I didnt want it to hold water and start rotting the floor again.

Salty87
07-29-2009, 07:48 PM
i put foam back in but quite not as much. check the link in my sig for pics.

i added limber holes to the stringers forward of the engine and at the transom for drainage. i also pre-poured the foam into custom molded blocks so the foam doesn't glue itself to everything blocking drainage. that's where i didn't get as much foam back in, i left some space around the blocks on purpose. the foam forms a skin that water rolls off to the drainage holes.

i don't have foam over my exhaust pipes anymore, can't tell any difference with the engine running. i was a little worried it would be louder. i don't think you'll notice any difference leaving it out....unless you really need it, ha. you could try to spray some up into the gunnels, that's a more effective location anyway. a boat with all the flotation under the floor is more likely to roll upside down when submerged anyway.

i got mine at uscomposites.com...2 lb i think.

OUI
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
If you put foam back in, use closed cell foam it wouldn't absorb water.

myk
07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
When I did mine I only put foam in the fwd center section (the area fwd of the sloped bilge wall and between the two main stringers) I put it back there because it's lower than the actual bilge area and also the original wood in this area was not damaged so it seemed like the driest area of the boat (on a comp anyways). I used the 2lb liquid urethane expanding foam from US composites as well. I added limber holes in the main stringers fwd of the engine mount area that feed right into the bilge and also on both the main and outer stringers at the aft end, all my cross supports for the floor sit up off the bottom of the boat so the water can run under them, I also didn't notch the stringers for the cross supports, seemed like a dumb idea, I just glassed them in with a few layers of 1808 biaxial, that stuff is brutally strong. As mentioned above I was also worried about the exhaust being louder, but I can't tell the difference.

saltare inverts
07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
If i ever replace my foam, I will take some out and add in floor ballast like alot of the new boats do.

chautauquasun
07-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks everybody. Hearing everyone's two cents...I am inclined to leave it out.