PDA

View Full Version : Pull engine from 2001 SSV

Danish 2001 SSV
07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately one of the push rods has pushed its way through the oil :(pan (870 hrs) so I have come to the conclusion that the without knowing the precise extend of the problem the easiest/safest/cheapest solution is to buy a long block and simply replacing the engine.
I have removed the exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, fuel system, water supply and other little things that are attached and is close to being ready for pulling it out.
I have a couple of questions:confused::
1. Approximately how much does an engine with V-drive weigh?
2. My plan is to unscrew the engine mounts at the engine and the v-drive mounts at the hull, does this sound like the right way to do it?
3.When disconnecting the propeller shaft from the V-drive is the anything special that you have to be aware of?
4.When disconnecting the v-drive from the engine block, is there anything special that you have to look out for?
This is my first time so I was hoping to double check with some of you before going ahead with it.
I can add a few photos as a go along with the project

Sincerely

Niels

beast 496
07-31-2009, 11:11 PM
What tranny do you have? Borg Warner, velvet drive V drive or Hurth? Pull the complete assy along with all of the cooling, and wiring. Very easy to pull these motors. You have a 10 pin connector to disconnect from the boat wiring harness, keep the engine harness intact. Hint, before installing in boat test run on a stand, set all timing, you will have to have a scan tool to place engine in service mode to set the timing. Once engine is set, absolutly no leaks, triple check. then install into boat. Allan

Danish 2001 SSV
08-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Hello Allan, It has a Walter Hurth transmission.
I am very pleased to hear that it should be easy to pull the engine :D I’m working on a hoisting system today.
When testing the engine before re-installing it in the boat how do you compensate for the 10-pin connector or is that just for the instruments?