PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding speed/best wake

Fman
07-31-2009, 10:17 PM
What speed do you guys wakeboard at? I filled the 750 lb rears up this morning and was at 21 mph in glass and the ramp was incredible. I had no whitewash on the wave, it looked and felt sweet! I had the wakeplate at 1/2 setting. I have noticed the left wake struggles to get ramped more than the right side (drivers). Does anyone else notice this? I am riding a 144 CWb Faction and weigh 195 lbs.

One problem is my kids are boarding at much slower speeds, 13-17 mph and I cant seem to get a nice wave for them. Anyone have any ideas? Also wanted to hear what other people are wakeboarding at speed wise, ballast setup and wakeplate settings. I am new to the sport this year, at 21 MPH I seem to have a nice wave to jump off.

Thanks.....

saltare inverts
07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Anyone new or novice pull them at 17 to 18. I ride at 23 and my wife rides at about 24.5. She likes it faster because she came from a slalom background. Anyone over 200 lbs I tend to pull at no less than 21mph.

jonyb
07-31-2009, 10:45 PM
My speedo says 23-24 at 70' when i ride, but that's not correct and I haven't verified it with GPS. I've also been riding with no ballast. I've got 3 herniated discs so riding is a little tougher these days.

csuggs
08-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Anyone new or novice pull them at 17 to 18. I ride at 23 and my wife rides at about 24.5. She likes it faster because she came from a slalom background. Anyone over 200 lbs I tend to pull at no less than 21mph.

Dittos here. Except for the part about the wife, of course - mine rides at about 21. Some of the guys I pull faster, but it also depends on the board, surface area, etc. My sons and their friends seem to like to ride between 20 and 22. I think every boat is a little different depending on the wake . . .

mapleleaf
08-01-2009, 07:12 AM
This is a good question, I've found with my older Supra keeping a constant 21-24 mph, depending on the rider, is not easy. The throttle lever is pretty fussy and the slightest adjustment can really affect the speed. I'm also not sure like Jony said how accurate my speedo's are. I have found that with or without ballast most rider's beginner to advanced, end up in the 20-25 mph range, For myself, if the boat is weighted evenly, I like about 22, seems like the wakes best there, I'm 6'3" 185 and am riding a 140 Hyperlite Motive.....

Okie Boarder
08-01-2009, 10:20 AM
It sounds like you've found the optimum speed for the weight. I would say you could speed up or run less weight for the kids so you can run slower. Those are kind of your only options as far as a I know.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Well it depends on the boat size/length and how much ballast you are running too.

For the kids, don't use any ballast and it's much easier to go slower. Putting the wakeplate down more should help this too. They should be able to jump one wake easy enough but wake2wake is pretty tough below about 21mph w/ no ballast.

Once you add over 1klbs ballast you are going to have to go 22.5mph minimum. That is about where I ride most of the time but sometimes I like 23 if I'm not learning new tricks.

If you are having trouble keeping the speed correct a new prop will really help you out as well as let you run ballast with ease.

Now all of you need to go back and put wake pics in your posts~! ;) ;)

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/Picture_003loadedwake.jpg

Fman
08-01-2009, 03:12 PM
No problems with maintaining speed, the perfect pass seems to be working great. At 21-22 MPH the boat seems to have a sweet ramp of a wave, especially with the 750's in the rear. I have not even been using the center ballast. Thats my complaint about the bags, its tough to fill a bag 1/2 way without gauges. Unfortunately I dont have my 400's anymore, but I might pick some more up and keep both in the boat. I never really got to use the 400's in the rear and try the wake out with wakeboarding. 400's in the rear and the center ballast (1400 lbs total) might be a great combo for a nice wake. The 750's we were using for Surfing, but my family is getting more into wakeboarding now. It would be easy to switch over the bags with the quick disconnects.

I have not been using any ballast for the kids, but my 6 year old boards at 14 mph, the wave is pretty small and he likes to jump. Guess he will have to live with it until I can get him going a little faster.

KY Steve
08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
400's in the rear and the center ballast (1400 lbs total) might be a great combo for a nice wake.

Fman,

I have still have my original 400's and might consider selling, pm me if interested.

Steve

Fman
08-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Sent you a PM, lets talk, I am interested in buying them.