PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding Tools?

mathp
08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Do I need to purchase an electric buffer or can I use my electric drill and use a sandpaper attachment for the oxidation?

BTW I have an '86 Supra Sunsport Skier that I bought in 1989!

Okie Boarder
08-01-2009, 10:15 AM
You shouldn't need a rotary tool for the wetsand process. If it is really, really bad, you might start with a more aggressive grit, but I would do it by hand. If you do a quick search on my posts you can see what I did. I started with 1000 grit, and wetsanded by hand...then I went to compounds and polishes with a rotary. Post some pictures of how yours looks and I'm sure we can give you plenty of advice.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-01-2009, 11:17 AM
All you need is a bucket of water and 5-8 pieces of sandpaper of two grits (one finer than the other). You will clog the paper pretty quick so it goes much faster if you have some fresh.

Then once you move on to buffing and waxing/polishing you can use a rotary buffer and hard/soft pads.

mathp
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the response, I'm going to get started tomorrow.

mathp
08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the information. I tried to post some pics but got an error message so I'll post them as soon as I get a response from the admin.

mapleleaf
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Glad to hear you're posting pic's....I had this problem once and it ended up being the file size was too big......
Hopefully you figure out, we wanna see that boat!!!!!!!

mathp
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Allright, I posted many pics in my album so any comments/suggestions?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Navigate to your pics, then right click and click properties. Highlight the 'Location' field and then use the following code (w/out spaces) to place the pic right in your thread.
[ img ]http:xxxxx[ /img ]

87SunSportMikeyD
08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Looks great! Very familiar interior! You will love her! Love the full hull color those are rarer.

Okie Boarder
08-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Your oxidation isn't as bad as mine is. You possibly could get away without even wetsanding. I'd probably go ahead with the wetsand though. If you start with a wetsand by haqnd with 1000 grit and a block, then use a rotary and start with a compound and work finer it should come out good. Take a look at the thread showing what I did and you should get a pretty good idea of the concept and the products I used. I stuck with 3M exclusively.

beast 496
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
What a mess wet sanding is, I stopped that in the late 80's along with any one else in manufacturing. Dry sand with a 5" DA air sander 800 grit. Wet sanding is really messy, and you cannot tell how much you are sanding. If something coarse gets in the water chances are you will have a deep sanding scratch mixed with the 1000 sanding scratches. 3M makes a very good abrasive, We use the hook and loop, "velcro" abrasive. Good luck Allan