PDA

View Full Version : '06 21V Impeller Removal Driving Me Crazy!

SZEH
08-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Changed oil and fuel filter today and I want to change the impeller. I've done it on a direct drive with no problem...easy access. I know I can do it on my 2006 21V, but I'm not sure of one thing.

There's a large fiberglass part of the exhaust system that sits directly in front of the impeller housing that makes access to the bolts very difficult. My question is do you remove the filberglass exhaust section for easy access to the housing, or do you just need to work around it? I looks like I should remove it access the impeller housing, but is there anything I should be aware of before I do.

I know when I do this once it'll be no problem after that, but this first time is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Scott

FoiltechLaunch21V
08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
There should be a sheet of plastic screwed behind this cross over you spoke of. Take that out and you should be able to reach under or around the cross over and get to the impellar housing easier. It is NOT hard to get changed out. Just dive in!!!!! After the first time you will see it's a 20 minute job.

SZEH
08-02-2009, 06:07 PM
There should be a sheet of plastic screwed behind this cross over you spoke of. Take that out and you should be able to reach under or around the cross over and get to the impellar housing easier. It is NOT hard to get changed out. Just dive in!!!!! After the first time you will see it's a 20 minute job.

Thanks...I removed that plastic board that covers the blower vent hoses at the very back of the stern that you mentioned and I was able to reach the housing a lot easier with a socket extension. Just didn't have time to get to it yesterday.

I'm going to try and tackle this next weeked...thanks again for the help!

Scott

Sluggo
08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I assume your setup is going to be similiar to my 2005 22 SSV. Rather than mess with extensions and the exhaust, I just remove the whole pump housing with 3 bolts, then one support bolt, then hoses. For me it is much easier to get my meaty limbs into and no long tools to fall in the bilge.

beast 496
08-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Don't you just love V drives? Just kidding, but you just can't get any better than a direct drive center mount, for the easiest service. Al

SZEH
08-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Don't you just love V drives? Just kidding, but you just can't get any better than a direct drive center mount, for the easiest service. Al

My brother has a 1999 Launch direct drive and it's a breeze to work on. Last year we did a complete tune up on his from fluids to plugs and wires, impeller and such and I loved it. This V-drive is a different story. My biggest fear is dropping somthing (like one of the impeller bolts) into the bildge area under the engine...it's a black hole! I actually think I've heard voices under there crying for help!!!

beast 496
08-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Be carefull not to overtighten the brass screws. I have seen more than one twisted off in the pump. Very difficult to remove due to stretch of the material. Allan

TPyle
08-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I assume your setup is going to be similiar to my 2005 22 SSV. Rather than mess with extensions and the exhaust, I just remove the whole pump housing with 3 bolts, then one support bolt, then hoses. For me it is much easier to get my meaty limbs into and no long tools to fall in the bilge.

This is the way I change the impeller on my '06 21V. This also give you the opportunity to visually inspect the inside of the housing for damage due to debris. Off and on in under 30 min.

SZEH
08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I'll take a look at the pump housing this weeknd. Sounds lilke that's a great way to go and possibly easier to access the impeller once the entire housing is removed.

I've read where some folks have replaced the brass bolts with Grade 5 stainless steel bolts just to ensure that they never run into the issue of breaking off the heads.

I'm going to tackle this on Sunday after a Saturday on the lake in case I totally scew it up. I'll at least have one day on lake!

Thanks,

Scott

SZEH
08-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Finally got it done this weekend....thanks for all the help. I bought a flex head ratchet wrench that made removing the bolts very easy and removed that back plastic panel for easier access. Sprayed WD40 into the housing then turned the engine over a couple times and it popped right out. Soaped up the new one put it in and took it out for a test with no problems.

I was surprised to see that after 185 hrs and being in there for almost 3 years that the old impeller was in great shape, but I'm sure the rubber may begin to break down without any visible signs.

Now I just need to get rid of the vapor lock issue.

Again...thanks!

Fman
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
The House of replica Tudor (http://www.watches998.com/wholesale-Tudor-cid-6.htm),replica Tudor Watches,fake Tudor,Cheap Tudor,china replica Tudor was a prominent European royal house that ruled the Kingdom of England and its realms from 1485 until 1603

Think its time to hit the eject button on this cat. WTF is this about?

Fishman
08-24-2009, 09:16 PM
not sure what it is about, but I just pulled my impeller on my 02 Sunsport V today. You're right...an odd job...I removed my middle back sundeck and was able to stand on the swim platform to put the impeller. I used 2 needle nose pliers and pulled it out pretty easy.

Question: The one I pulled doesn't look too bad...just not sure how long it's been in there. I don't want to replace something that doesn't need replacing, soooo what does the impeller look like when it needs replacing? Or, should you replace it every couple years regardless?

The rubber on my impeller is fine, no cracks. The fins are just bent over which I assume happens when you put a new one in anyway....

Also, when you put a new impeller in, is there a trick to it? Someone mentioned soap?

Sluggo
08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I think rule of thumb is once a season minimum to two seasons max depending on how many hours you put on your boat. If it has been two years then I personally would replace it. I have had one shred and it is no fun finding and cleaning out all the peices once it fails.

SZEH
08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
not sure what it is about, but I just pulled my impeller on my 02 Sunsport V today. You're right...an odd job...I removed my middle back sundeck and was able to stand on the swim platform to put the impeller. I used 2 needle nose pliers and pulled it out pretty easy.

Question: The one I pulled doesn't look too bad...just not sure how long it's been in there. I don't want to replace something that doesn't need replacing, soooo what does the impeller look like when it needs replacing? Or, should you replace it every couple years regardless?

The rubber on my impeller is fine, no cracks. The fins are just bent over which I assume happens when you put a new one in anyway....

Also, when you put a new impeller in, is there a trick to it? Someone mentioned soap?

I believe they say once a year or every 100 hours for a change, but I bought mine new in 2006 and it had 185 hrs on it when I changed it. It still looked in pretty good condition. I do have a raw water engine filter on it that may have helped. I also hear that if you beach your boat or the water you run in is muddy or full of silt that it'll wear the impeller out much quicker.

I imagine over time the rubber would begin to break down to the point it will fail and break apart. You may not be able to detect a stress crack in one of the fins until it tears completely off...then your stuck!

The soap trick is just to make installation a little easier in that the impeller will slide into the housing a lot easier. Just regular dish soap. It will also help with not dry starting the impeller the first time.

Fishman
08-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks SHEZ. Good stuff. My impeller has been on for the last 3.5 seasons at about 100 hours a season...Upon closer inspection, there are some small tears in some of the fins.

So, to those reading this, make sure you do a very careful inspection of both sides of the fins under really good light.

I think I will use some Lava Lube boot binding lube since it's already in the boat.

Thanks again.

Fishman
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Done with the impeller change. Like a knucklehead, I didn't look in the imp. box and see there was a gasket that came with it...so I put on the old gasket. No leaks so I guess I'm good. Thanks to all on the thread.

SZEH
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Done with the impeller change. Like a knucklehead, I didn't look in the imp. box and see there was a gasket that came with it...so I put on the old gasket. No leaks so I guess I'm good. Thanks to all on the thread.

Fishman,

Also make sure you put the housing cover back on the exact same way. It sounds like you did if you don't have any leaks. I mark my cover and housing with a silver Sharpie and match up the lines when I replace the cover. The cover housing is a kinda funky shape and I've read where people have put the cover on upside down...which still looks right, but doesn't form a good seal and then either leaks water, or sucks air and either way begins to over heat the engine...which as it sounds does "Suck & Blow"!

From the day I replace mine I have determined I will fear no impeller!

Scott

Fishman
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, on of the screw holes is offset so it can only go on one way. The only way to screw it up is to put it on backwards...

I even managed to do this project without dropping anything into the depths of v-drive never never land.

Brett