PDA

View Full Version : Removed water and flywheel flooded with water

EEES
08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I have a long story, but here is the short of it. If you want the story, continue reading below.....anyway, I have an '86 Supra Comp T6m, and I removed the starter to have it rebuilt. It rained non-stop for several days and my hull filled with water. The water flooded into my open flywheel (because I had the starter removed).

My question is, "Does that flywheel area flow into the transmission or engine block? The water is all up in there. I took a sponge and was able to sponge most of it out. If I start the boat, will it crank and throw all the water into an undesired area (transmission or engine block). I'm afraid of ruining some serious parts. I just left it open to dry out, but it is a boat sitting on water, so I don't know if it will dry out. What is my best option? Do I have any options? LOL.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ian

My boat wouldn't start 2 months ago. All I was getting was a clicking sound from the solenoid, so I removed the starter and alternator and took it to a place to have them rebuilt. When I picked up my rebuilt parts, the guy told me I should get a new solenoid as well, just in case. He sold me one for $30. I Then I put them on the boat. It wouldn't do anything, so I took everything off and reassembled it several times. There was a 2 week wait until the marina would look at my boat. 2 weeks went by, and the mechanic said my solenoid was bad. I told him it was brand new. Then I went and bought a new solenoid. He was right. But now, the starter was just spinning, but the gear wasn't kicking out to engage with the flywheel. I had all my friends up at the lake, ready to go out on the boat, so I pounded the starter with a hammer for awhile, and it finally started. We went out and got starnded. The starter wouldn't engage after trying to start the boat for nearly an hour. I took off the starter and put it back on several times, and I was still unable to get the gear to engage. I got a tow back to the marina ($90), and then took the starter back to the guy who rebuilt. He hooked it up to the machine and it worked perfectly!!! I was clueless. He asked to keep it a few days and he would go through it very thoroughly. After 3 days, he told me he was just going to give me a new starter. I got the starter and 3 days later, I got around to installing it. When I arrived at the boat, the intense rain had filled the hull and flooded the area where the starter was supposed to seal off the engine. Oh no!!! What does this mean? Is water in there a terrible thing? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have never entered an engine or a transmission.

Engine Nut
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=EEES;20203]I have a long story, but here is the short of it. If you want the story, continue reading below.....anyway, I have an '86 Supra Comp T6m, and I removed the starter to have it rebuilt. It rained non-stop for several days and my hull filled with water. The water flooded into my open flywheel (because I had the starter removed).

My question is, "Does that flywheel area flow into the transmission or engine block? The water is all up in there. I took a sponge and was able to sponge most of it out. If I start the boat, will it crank and throw all the water into an undesired area (transmission or engine block). I'm afraid of ruining some serious parts. I just left it open to dry out, but it is a boat sitting on water, so I don't know if it will dry out. What is my best option? Do I have any options? LOL.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ian

The flywheel housing is not a sealed assembly. Thehousing would have filled with water whether the starter was installed or not. There is no communication of water between the flywheel housing and engine block or transmission. Our flywheel housings actually have a notch in the bottom to let water drain out. I am not sure that is the case with your engine but there is probably a splash plate that is held in place with a couple of screws. If you loosen them, the water should drain out.

wotan2525
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Larry is right.... water should drain into the bilge on it's own, but if it doesn't.... probably not a big deal. No way for it to end up hurting the engine or transmission and it will eventually find it's way out the bottom because the splash cover is not gasketed or sealed.