PDA

View Full Version : Swivel board racks getting sloppy

Fman
08-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Like I have mentioned before, my two complaints about my Supra are the ballast fill system and the board racks. Not that the racks are a bad idea and dont work, just poor design on Roswells part. I initially had about 1/4" of play in the racks when I bought the boat last December. I now have about 1 1/4" of play in the racks when they are in the locked position with the safety pin installed. It is continuing to get worse, I have contacted Roswell and they are supposed to send me a set this week, although this has been two months now, and apparantly I missed the first shipment by two orders last month..... they seem to be a reputable company, and the new racks that are a direct bolt on are re-designed with a pull up pin design that looks much better.

Has anyone else had problems with there racks having free play in them and wobbling when loaded with boards???? and has anyone seen or used the new Roswell design and does it eliminate the free play and look to be a better design?

If I actually get the racks this week I will post some pictures.

jonyb
08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
The old ones are designed that you have to screw the pin into the rack when you're not swiveling the boards.

I've got the new ones on mine now, and they're great.

Sluggo
08-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Fman,

When you say saftey pin, are you referring to the horizontal screw that pulls the rack tight against the mounting bracket and then is stored vertically underneath in the mounting bracket when not in use?

If so, that is the style that Roswell sold me when I complained about the stock 2005 model that had three pins that kept sticking. I really like the operation of this new style although some of the boat babes have a hard time pushing up and turning the rack. Not that I am complaining cause then I get to come over and help them, lol. Anyway, I too have nocticed that the amount of play has increased over time, but not once I lock them in with the pins. Of course for the pins to be effective, I have to tighten them with a pair of pliers or they will loosen up after a couple of mintes of powering through chop.

I also noticed that there are one or two screws on the base of these new racks that I have not messed with yet. Could they be for swivel adjustment or tightness?

Dave

Fman
08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Dave,

My racks have a black rubber gromet at the bottom of the swivel you press up on and it releases the bracket to rotate. There is a safety pin that can be screwed in the side as a backup if the bracket was ever to release. I am hoping Roswell will send me the new brackets, sounds like a much better setup. Hopefully I will have them sooner than later, my swivels are getting progressively worse almost to the point now I dont feel comfortable loading boards on them.

Sluggo
08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Understand and don't blame you. My daughters board only hangs in by one boot so I always put it in the rack with less play. Do you know what those other screws do? They look like adjustments screws, but not sure for what.

jonyb
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Not sure if they're adjustments, because I turned on them a little and nothing happened. Those are the swivels I had that Roswell replaced. They're service is actually pretty good. I had to wait 2 months for mine, but the thing is, they had it wrote down and one day out of the blue, I get a call from them asking for my address so they can ship them out. I didn't have to bother them at all with reminders because they were on backorder. But when they did come available I had some. My old ones got to where it took 2 hands to make them release, and on one of them the black rubber piece kept falling off.

dickydiehl
08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
hey guys did you have to pay $100 bucks for the new upgraded ones or did they replace those for free.

Sluggo
08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, I had to pay to upgrade my stock 05's to the push up from the bottom style. I think is was $90 somewhere during the spring or summer of 07.

cptsupra
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I tried uploading this pic before, but apparently it didn't go through. Not a great pic, but you can see it at the top.

I much prefer the new style. They are solid, more compact (no powder coated harpoon sticking off the back. Plus I personally really like the brushed aluminum over the powder coating.

thescott
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Here's a pic of the replacement swivels from Roswell. They're solid compared to the old ones. I'm real happy with them. Very similar to the Titans on the '09s with the exception that the titans have detents (right word?) so when the pin is out they don't swing around freely.
Second pic is from Roswell's site.

https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=346
https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=182

jonyb
08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree, very solid. I think they've got a good swivel now that'll last for a long time..... These are soooo much easier to operate then the last ones I had, and not having to screw the pin in everytime is a plus also.

cptsupra
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
My dealer got me the Titan racks with the pin in the back not the bottom. Sorry for the confusion. I do like these much better than the Roswells.

Oh yah, and not cost replacement.

Jason

Fman
08-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Got in contact with Roswell today, the racks arrived last week and they said they are shiipping them this week. Hopefully I will recieve my new racks sometime next week. Its been 2 1/2 months now, so I guess I will believe it when they are at my door!

TayTay
08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I have the stock racks on my '05 and they have A LOT of play and the dang push buttons get stuck really easy trying to swivel the racks around. What it sounds like is that I can contact Roswell and tell them the problems I am having and they will send me newer racks, for a small fee??? That would be something I would look into if it was true.

FoiltechLaunch21V
08-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I have the stock racks on my '05 and they have A LOT of play and the dang push buttons get stuck really easy trying to swivel the racks around. What it sounds like is that I can contact Roswell and tell them the problems I am having and they will send me newer racks, for a small fee??? That would be something I would look into if it was true.

They sent me new swivels with pins instead of push buttons. They work a lot better. Not sure what they are doing now.

JohnnyH
08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
what was the phone # for Rosewell you called???

jonyb
08-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I didnt' have to pay anything......

Email:[email protected]
Phone: 780.962.0868
Fax: 780.962.0855

Fman
08-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Roswell is starting to disappoint me more and more... called them yesterday, the women who answered the phone said the racks have been in since last week, but they are not shipping them until next week because Scott the warranty claims employee is out of the office all week. She did note that yes I see your name on the list of replacements.... I explained to her I am leaving next Saturday for a boat trip and I probably will not recieve them in time if they ship next week unless I want to pay for rush shipping from Canada. I explained to her, if you send them by Friday (today) I should recieve them by next Friday with regular ground shipping. I have been on a waiting list for 3 months, my racks are falling apart, I have bungee cords on them to keep them from breaking off! I have had people comment on the racks with Roswell's name on them and the bungee cords, thats not too good of advertising for them.

Am I missing something here???? why would you just not authorize them to be sent out and help someone out who already has been waiting for 3 months!!!

Fman
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Good luck, you might recieve them by xmas. I have been waiting for 3 months and still nothing. There number is 780-962-0868.

JohnnyH
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
What keeps the pin in place on the new ones? and how many positions can you lock in?

jonyb
08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
There are 3 positions on the new swivels. When you rotate the rack to either of those positions, you slide the pin back in. There is zero play in the rack with those swivels.

Fman
08-12-2009, 06:44 PM
There are 3 positions on the new swivels. When you rotate the rack to either of those positions, you slide the pin back in. There is zero play in the rack with those swivels.

Scott said they shipped mine out yesterday, hopefully I will recieve them by end of week. It will be nice not having my boards wobbling and creeking all over the place!

jonyb
08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
He's getting my new mirror arm out tomorrow too. Glad you got your's coming finally. I know how frustrating it is. I had to wait as well, but to my surprise, they called one day and said they had the new swivels in and asked for my address.

FoiltechLaunch21V
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
What keeps the pin in place on the new ones? and how many positions can you lock in?

It pins through the top. 3 positions.