PDA

View Full Version : 91 Sunsport Question

blackout00
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I am currently looking for a used Supra Wakeboard boat and I found this one close to where I live:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130321478192&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AMOTORS%3A1123&salenotsupported

What do you all think? Does it look like it is in good shape. What are some things to look for on these boats? I know the stringers are of somewhat of a concern. Also, he is asking 14K which seems to be a bit high to me, but I wanted some thoughts of owners about this boat. NADA gives the boat 10500-11500. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

mapleleaf
08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd say he's asking too much....Any Supra pre '92 with a soft spot in the floor (that you can hardly notice???) is going to have some suspect stringer's.....After '92 Supra went to all fiberglass, instead of wood encased fiberglass. You'd be better off finding a newer boat/less hours, and adding all the goodies....Just because he bought them, shouldn't mean he recoop's all their cost in the sale.....
How is a soft spot in the floor hardly noticeable....after you go through it????

blackout00
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks so much for your prompt response. That was a concern to me, that it was hardly noticeable. Also, if it does need some repair I am ok with that, but the price should be adjusted accordingly. So, it may be better to look for one that is after the 92 model year? I am having a hard time finding these boats, so any direction that could be given to find them would be great. Thanks for your help...Any other thoughts?

mapleleaf
08-03-2009, 10:14 PM
You might not want to hear this, but patience!!!! There are good old Supra's out there, even pre '92 without rotten stringer's, they're just getting harder to find. You have to spend a bundle of time searching every used boat site possible, I like boat traderonline, but there are many other's. My boat fell in my lap, but came with some rotten wood and in need of an interior...
Best solution would be to get ready to travel....I've seen a bunch of these boats forsale in Michigan and Texas and California......When you find what you're looking for....poke around everywhere, bilge compartment, etc.....
Condition of vinyl and gelcoat are a good indication of how the boat has been treated.....
I'm nowhere near done working on my Boat and I love every minute of it....for better or worse!!!!!

andyzarkovich
08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
i actually think that is a not a bad deal..

-tower 1500ish
-stargazer who knows but everyone on here wants one and no one knows how to get them installed for a reasonable price... and all you have to do is start it and its already in the boat...
-sterio 1000ish probably more really
-binimy 250ish
-mooring cover 800
-4 blade prop 350
-ballast system 1000 to 1200ish
-stickers 500ish

thats like 5500 in extras at least without the stargazer kit... i have looked for that boat for close to a year and most that you find that are in dec condition do not have towers or any wake extras, are sort of faded, and have stock props. you can find those for like 5500 to 11000 depending how nice they are. so why i say i think thats a great deal is because you dont have to go through all the bs of doing it all yourself or haveing it done... if you had it done at a dealership that extra stuff would be alot of money (to much to have done)... i would say that if your not mechanically inclined or dont feel like doing all that stuff yourself then its a good deal... but if you enjoy or can work on stuff for long periods time then you may want to start like we all did and build up... probably get a little bit better deal

as with the floor, if it has a fairly small soft spot probably will start rotting but if you take care of it and cover it you will definatly get some years in before you have to replace the floor and stringers... and the cool thing is that that is the only project you will have with that boat... the rest is done... i mean that job is going to suck but you wont have to do it for a long time if you take care of it... i think that is one of the nicest looking old sunsports i have seen, it would definatly be worth at least going to look at if you can afford it. just make sure you check out the floor. (take it to a dealer and see how long they think it will last if there is one close)... lots of positives... watch the floor and 900 hours is getting up there but i know people with over 1200 and have no issues... he claims he serviced alot so you may get lucky!

my advice
i followed the supra i bought for 9 months before i bought it so even if you cant buy it now or dont want too... keep an eye on it and see what you can do with it...

good luck man

87SunSportMikeyD
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
At first glance it didn't seem a bad deal imo. I bet they would come down in price a bit. It is loaded and it would take you a couple years and lots of work to get it like that if you bought it stock. Used you can get the accessories cheaper if you bargain.

Salty87
08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
add in the eventual floor/stringer work and you're getting real close to $20k for a 20 year old boat. too many boats for sale to try and recoup all of your costs. the seller needs to discount all of that equip for how much use he got out of it.

you could get something much newer with most of the same equip for that price range.

auction is over....0 bids

laneo
08-13-2009, 07:50 PM
If all that extra stuff is important to you,,, Buy it! I started with a very clean 1990 Saltare for around 10K then dumped several thousands into just some of the extras that that boat has. I dont even have as many extras as that one. Not even to consider the HUGE amount of labor installing a tower and big stereo system. No matter what regardless of age I have had more fun on my old supra than any other boat Ive owned for even 15 times the cost. These Supras were well before their time and built to outlast how long it took the competitors boats to catch up to the quality. I looked at quite a few older Supras and most all that were much below 9-10 were to beat up/neglected to consider. So if it is clean and your need those extras its a good deal.

rollenrock33
10-29-2009, 09:32 PM
I was poking around the forum and to my suprize I found this thread......and its about my old rig. Thank you guys for all the compliments on my boat. I did end up lowering my price to 12,000. I know 14 was a bit high but I put so much .......let me repeat that.......so much time and money into that boat it was part of me. I needed the money for a house addition so it had to let her go. Anyone out there looking for a great boat that holds it value I would highly recomend a Sunsport. Best value all around family, wakeboard, surf, whatever you want to do boat. I put well over 18,000 into that boat and still got 12 for it after years of use. I actually went out and bought another supra project boat. Its an 87 sunsport skier, a lot like wakemikey's ride. I don't think I will ever buy another brand of boat. Will be posting pics of the progress in the pride and joy section.

dshaff24
10-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Yeah whats funny was I was selling my speedboat to buy another newer speedboat, 04 stingray 22s to be specific then one day at work I saw your boat on ebay and showed everybody at work and my boss told me about our old nieghbor was selling the one I bought but I put it off, Then the day I sold my boat I saw yours @ yough lake! I would have bought it that day but you gave me a grace period and I wanted one asap!! But the next day I went and looked at the one I got now so that was the end of that! That ebay auction is the reason I purchased a supra, Its funny how that works

rollenrock33
10-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Well Doug, at least I pointed you in the right direction. If I was not going to deep creek over labor day weekend, it would of been yours. You will get a lot more satisfaction out of the 86 and doing all the upgrades yourself!:cool:

dshaff24
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Well Doug, at least I pointed you in the right direction. If I was not going to deep creek over labor day weekend, it would of been yours. You will get a lot more satisfaction out of the 86 and doing all the upgrades yourself!:cool:

:cool: Yeah Im glad it worked out that way, Saved some cash, Paid off a credit card and bought my supra and a lifted jeep! all in all that was a very sweet 91

supragriff
11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a 1991 Sunsport for sale. It is in excellent condition with no soft spots on the floor. Stringers are in great shape. This boat has always been kept in a boat house or on a lift. It has 313 hours and runs strong. I'm asking $11,500.00. I'll be glad to send you pictures.

tg0824SSVGG
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
supragriff,

You'll have much better luck if you post photos here - a lot more folks will see them.

Todd