PDA

View Full Version : Float level

69nova454
08-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Anyone know what the float height on a 50399 holley is ? 86 saltare w 454

OUI
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Are you sure that's a marine application? Most 454s have a 4160 and the float is adjusted internally. If there is an external adjustment you may have an automobile carb and that may not be a good thing.

beast 496
08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
does your carb have J tubes for the bowl vents? If so you have a marine carb. Holly has several versions for Marine applications. Some floats are externally adjusted, which are center hung floats. These have a sight hole screw on the side of the bowl. Keep fuel level at bottom of threads. More common applications are the side hung float which are internally adjusted floats. Float level on these are level. If you do not have a marine carb, you need to replace whatevery you have and buy a Marine carb, Do not want to here about a fire due to carb flooding all over intake. Good luck Allan

rludtke
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
does your carb have J tubes for the bowl vents? If so you have a marine carb. Holly has several versions for Marine applications. Some floats are externally adjusted, which are center hung floats. These have a sight hole screw on the side of the bowl. Keep fuel level at bottom of threads. More common applications are the side hung float which are internally adjusted floats. Float level on these are level. If you do not have a marine carb, you need to replace whatevery you have and buy a Marine carb, Do not want to here about a fire due to carb flooding all over intake. Good luck Allan

Roger that sentiment...

agetech
08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Don't see that carb number listed on the Holley web site. Check to see if there is another number on the carb.

69nova454
08-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I got it ,I called holley and that is a marine application and they said to just invert it and set them level with the top of the bowl,,well I did that and it run like crap ,so I removed it again and talked to an old boat mechanic ,Marine carbs are set very low for rocking and getting up on plane ,set it down and it runs great

69nova454
08-07-2009, 06:56 AM
50399 is a replacement for the 4160

rludtke
09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I got it ,I called holley and that is a marine application and they said to just invert it and set them level with the top of the bowl,,well I did that and it run like crap ,so I removed it again and talked to an old boat mechanic ,Marine carbs are set very low for rocking and getting up on plane ,set it down and it runs great

I have ended up in th esame boat. I set the floats to the spec, but still encounter flooding, until I lower the float level to something lower than the spec calls for. I find that I have to fine tune the float levels on the lake, using the Plan-Do-Check-Act principle.