PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on my 87 saltare

87 ghetto rider
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I bought my saltare last summer and have loved every minute of it.for starters i have replaced the entire interior from the carpet up. i added a tower new decals and refinished all the teak. the one thing i cant seem to find is info or tips on updating the engine ignition system. i wakeboard 2-4 days a week and i ride behind a couple of other boats. one friend has a 99 air nautique we add about 1200 lbs to. my other friend has a 98 or 99 maristar v-drive its a 23 ft boat. we also add about 1000 lbs to it. both of these boats will flat out smoke my boat and i just dont get it. we add 700 lbs to my saltare. i have a 454 big block and dont have the power of these small blocks granted the nautique is a smaller boat. but the mastercraft is not. i have a two different props ive tried both are 3- blade 1 is a 13x13 and the other is 13x14 . is this a prop thing. im just not sold that it is. The boat engine has 480 hrs and seems to be in good shape. no smoke, doesnt use oil, etc. my father is an old school hot rod guy and seems to think it is the timing. all i know is i have changed the oil and put new pluggs and wires in it. everything else is stock or even original. is there a dist. i need out there. what about a elec. ign. ??? guys i just need some help on the right way to go. i would like this boat to run at the best of its ability. any help would be much appreciated. by the way 700 lbs between the pylon and front seats is one awesome wake.

Salty87
08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
hey ghetto rider

there are a couple of things that could be going on. at the same time, saltares aren't the quickest boats off the line...don't have great top end either unless you prop it for that. and, those mph's will guzzle the gas.

if i was you, i'd definitely get a tune up kit (points, condensor, dist cap, etc) or, if you've still got the OEM distributor...an elec dist and dump the points all together.

you'll have to check the timing after either of those anyway.

i can't remember which model prop i have but i know it's an acme. a new prop can make all the difference in the world. even reverse feels different after switching props. they get worn over the years, reworking them isn't the same as a brand new one. if you call acme, they're very helpful/knowledgeable.

last thing i can think of is your carb. if you have the original holley, there's a power valve that's not very hard to ruin over the years. there are instrux on skidim.com for checking that out. also clean the flame arrestor on top of the carb if you've never.

welcome to the site. don't forget some pictures...

saltare inverts
08-09-2009, 08:17 PM
My 86 saltare can handle 1200 lbs and you get onto plane easily. It has over 900 hours on it. I have a Hei ignition, but all else is stock. My prop is 13 x 14 oj. It will also run 50 mph with no weight. I check timing every year.

87 ghetto rider
08-09-2009, 11:40 PM
guys thanks for the info. im calling acme tomorrow and also ordering a rebuild kit for my carb. im also getting away from points. i have another one for you guys. what can be done with wake plate on the back. mine has adjustments but is not hinged so there is minimal movement . ihave never touched it. can anything be gained or lost there?

Salty87
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
give some thought to switching to an edelbrock carb. the 1410 will bolt right up but you will need a new fuel line. i'm not a fan of rebuilding 20+ yr old carbs.

the wakeplate makes alot of difference even though it doesn't have much movement. all the way up is best for wakeboarding. all the way down will push the bow down to flatten the wake a bit. it's worth messing with....can be a little tricky though. the threaded rods don't follow the standard righty tighty formula. the port side screws opposite of the starboard side. you'll figure it out...just be careful because it's easy to tighten 1 side when you think you're trying to loosen it.

saltare inverts...yours gets up to 50?? wow, mine tops out somewhere around 40 (no functioning speedos currently). i'll go take a peek at my prop later for comparison.

saltare inverts
08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Yea I used a gps and had two boats follow to double check. I wonder if my boat had some internal work done at one time that I dont know about. I have had about 1500 lbs of people and weight in the boat and it seems to plane just slightly slower than empty. It also has a Mercruiser carb on it, I hate it saying Mercruiser on a PCM engine. Its stamped on the carb and spark areester. Sorry for the thread steal Ghetto rider.

wotan2525
08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
50 MPH to me also seems crazy.... I've got some upgrades on my internals and can hit ~42 with the right prop and some glassy water. This is GPS confirmed.... my speedos work but aren't very accurate.

87 ghetto rider
08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
well i found a edlebrock 1410 for 275.00 going to order tomorrow. have yet to call acme but also on the list. i will also take some pics and try to post them toward the end of the week. i must say thank you all for the replies.

Salty87
08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
well i found a edlebrock 1410 for 275.00 going to order tomorrow. have yet to call acme but also on the list. i will also take some pics and try to post them toward the end of the week. i must say thank you all for the replies.

damn, that's a good price. i paid more a few years ago.

i'll go take a peek at my prop later for comparison.

i'm running a 13x12....541 i think is their model #

87SunSportMikeyD
08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Ghetto rider your problem is the prop for sure. Are you still able to get good speed and hole shot with NO weight? a 13x13 or 13x14 is a pure speed prop. I was able to handle about 800lbs with a 13x12. My current prop is an ACME#913 13x10.5 it is dreamy yank your arms out and plane out in 3 secs with 1400lbs. If you have 1:1 trans, 1"shaft.

cowwboy4
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
50mph????
I have the 4 bolt main high hp 390hp version and don't get that.
Given I think I don't have the carb or balls to spin my 454 to the claimed safe 5200 rpm. I put a edelbrock 650 on it. But I normally get around 40 gps / perfect pass with a 4blade 13x13.5 stainless.
I run around 2k pounds in mine and looking to get much more weight into it soon. OJ was suggesting a 13x11.5 or 13x11 3 blade cnc.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-11-2009, 11:52 AM
If you have 2klbs you will want 13x10.5 for sure. With a 13x12 my top speed was about 42. Now it is about 38 unweighted. Planes out real fast when slumped. Rockets up to surf speed.