PDA

View Full Version : New floor in a TS6

Sleepyluke
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Alright, I figure this is about as good as I am going to get in one place so here goes. I have a 1988 Supra TS6 boat that I love and runs fantastic. My problem is that I am starting to get a few soft spots in the floor. Now I know the BEST thing to do is completely gut it and redo stringers up, but I don't have the capabilities/facilities to do that right now, and to have it done is going to be roughly $5,000. My thought is to basically place a new floor on top of the existing one. This would basically be a 3/4 treated plywood base covered with new carpet flushed up around all edges, and then put a little piece of quarter round around the edges for a cleaner look. These would be fiberglassed before carpeting. Now keep in mind that we are at 21 years old now, so even 10 years puts me at a 30 year old equipment. Underneath the existing floor is open so it will have some ventilation from underneath, so I am not sure I am adding a lot of extra "rot increaser" to the boat, but not comepletely sure. I am capable of doing the job and making it look good, I just don't want to do it and then find out I have basically cut down the life of the boat or something like that.

Am I crazy to think this will work? Any suggestions on how to do this or other thoughts that would or have worked better for you guys? Thanks

jasonba1
08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Not sure but I think it would buy you a little time the problem is all of the foam and wood is still soaked with water underneath and if that is not gotten out your boat gets heavier plus you will still have all of the moisture that would create more soft spots. As I said though I have never done this so I may be totally wrong.

ngavchris
08-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I have faced this issue before many years ago. I ended up having my floor and and partial stringer replacement. If I was trying to save a buck and not do a full replacement, I would cut the old floor out and remove the foam where possible. If you put that floor over the other it will fail as the other rots away. If you dont get that water soaked foam out of the boat you will be replacing more very soon.