PDA

View Full Version : Snap on covers

Fman
08-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I notice some of the boats have a snap on boat cover that covers the front bow, windshield and rear area. Not sure what the correct name of this is. I was wondering if this was a dealer order item or if there is a company that sells this style of covers? and a price range as to what this might cost?

Thanks
Travis

blaze5012
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I have the snap covers for my 24SSV, one for the bow and one for the rear/windshield area. It come from the dealer with the boat about 3 years ago. Im sure there are companies that sell these, likely cheaper than dealer cost. Sorry I dont remember a price for the snap cover, I may have even gotten it from one of the reps that worked at the dealer that didnt want his any more.
________
BMW K1200LT (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_K1200LT)

tg0824SSVGG
08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Mine also came with the boat - but for my last boat, I had the local
canvas guy make one for me.

Was pretty reasonable price - because he put all the snaps and everything (drilling!)
onto the boat.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I am desperatly seeking a cover like this for my 87 SunSport.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/628948.jpg

chautauquasun
08-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I am desperatly seeking a cover like this for my 87 SunSport.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/628948.jpg

I would think you could go to any canvas shop and they could make one for you. I would have to think it would be cheaper than a full cover and sure looks like it fits better. There are a bunch of canvas and awning shops in my area that do work on boat covers. Give one a call in your area I am sure they can make one.

tg0824SSVGG
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
My advice tho - is to get one that also covers the windshield - you won't be driving
the boat with the thing on.

techsledder
08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Exactly, cover your windshield! The cost savings if any for that small square footage will be negligible if any. Plus if you have an exposed leading edge of the canvas at the top of the windshield while you’re trailering, wouldn’t water creep into the covered area? Also save yourself some sun damage on your interior. I am getting one for mine ASAP after the cleaning/polishing. I have gotten estimates from 450 to over 750 dollars in my area here in Milwaukee for a trailer-able/mooring cover.

Century63
08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Maybe another source for that canvas would be through Iboats. I purchased a 88 Supra Pirata. Needed a canvas for it when pulling down the road. It had the type of canvas your are talking about, but the previous owner had repainted the top of the boat and removed the snaps from the windshield on back. I imagine they had gotten loose or he did not want to go to the expense of putting them back. I have never used such a cover before so no problem. At any rate the Iboat website made the canvas for my specific year, make and model. I thought it was reasonable. Maybe such a source is available for this type of canvas.

mapleleaf
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I got quoted 850 CAN. for a trailerable/mooring cover, custom made out of Sunbrella. Bought the guy's used wakeboard, so I had the opportunity to see his work firsthand, still not sure if I can afford it at the end of this year...but would love one....
One thing I've learned is that my $120 cover from Meijer's doesn't breath and in the sun/rain it breed's mold....not to stoked about that, I'd make sure anything custom has some vents sewn in......nevermind the constant strap tightening and adjusting of the not so custom cover!

Dandre227
08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I would not recommend the snap on covers. My boat came with the snap on covers from the dealer. Whenever it rains the water runs down the face of the windshield and under the snap on bow cover. The entire bow of the boat gets soaked when it rains. I am gonna buy the full one piece cover soon.

jonyb
08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I would not recommend the snap on covers. My boat came with the snap on covers from the dealer. Whenever it rains the water runs down the face of the windshield and under the snap on bow cover. The entire bow of the boat gets soaked when it rains. I am gonna buy the full one piece cover soon.

Me too. I like having a separate cover for the bow in case I get caught out in the rain I'll just leave teh bow cover on, but like you said when it rains the whole playpen area in mine gets wet and I have to completely remove the 1100# bag from the boat, dry it out, and put a fan in there to keep from getting a bad smell or fungus growth.

The Mastercraft and Malibu covers are 1 piece, go around the towers, and stop just below the rubrail. On the back there's a ratcheting tie-down that tightens it around the boat. My Baja also had one of those and you could tow the boat with it. I towed the Baja to Lake Cumberland (4 hours) with that cover in a rainstorm and everything inside stayed dry. I have to worry about the inside staying dry because of my stereo.

I'm wondering if any of those covers are available for our boats....

Mikey, look into Sunbrella. A friend of mine had a 38' Awesome (<--brand name) cat, and had a custom Sunbrella cover made for $1,500. Keep in consideration that's a 38' boat with over a 12' beam. I'm sure for our boats it would be a lot cheaper.

KY Steve
08-24-2009, 08:19 AM

I agree 100%, cant wait to get rid of my snap on covers. Does anyone know who makes a good cover at a reasonable price like the one pictured? I have also looked at some MC covers and they are very nice and fit the boat extremely tight.

KY Steve
08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I towed the Baja to Lake Cumberland (4 hours) with that cover in a rainstorm and everything inside stayed dry.

jony,

If you ever get back to Cumberland(the best lake in the world :D ) let me know. Might even have room for you guys to stay. I'm there almost every weekend.

techsledder
08-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I just had my snap on cover made to snap on under the rub rail. I wanted the snaps to be some what hidden, I wanted a trailering AND mooring cover and also I didn’t want the water flowing into the bow like you guys are talking about… I’ll take some pictures tonight and post them. The company that made it for me locally did it for $450. They used the “Top Gun” fabric with a color choice of grey or beige and two support posts with venting cap. I used a ski pylon cover support already from the original owner so I have three supports to keep that tenting action going. It works and looks great!

cptsupra
08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
The cover pictured is a factory Supra cover. It is listed as, "Canvas: Logo Cover, (Black) " on their customize and build page online. They are $550 dollars. The one for 2008 has ratchets on each side. I think they may have changed that to the rear ratchet only in 2009, but not 100% sure on that. The side ratchets are nice as you can set one in place and there is enough slack on each side to use just one side as I do on my dock.

This cover is 100 times better than my two piece bow and cockpit cover that I had on my Moomba as far as not allowing water to run into the bow off the windshield.

The only downfall to the supra one is that it is not towable. I did get a price last year from a local canvas shop in Columbia, SC that guaranteed it for 70mph highway speed, but the cost was $1000.

Hope this helps.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't really get what the problem was with the top-of windshield cover, but I think I understand now. I will check the bow cover to see if it leaks near the base of windshield. No one recommends the two-piece cover? I trailer it now with the factory bow-cover on and tower up and that's it. I took a pic I will post in my P&J thread in a bit.

zalamander
08-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I have a really nice one piece Supra (Attwood brand (sp)) Cover that came from the dealer. I would be willing to trade it for anyone's snap covers if they are looking to swap. Let me know if there is any interest and I will post pics. It even has the cut outs/velcro for the stock tower.
Thanks

zalamander
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree 100%, cant wait to get rid of my snap on covers. Does anyone know who makes a good cover at a reasonable price like the one pictured? I have also looked at some MC covers and they are very nice and fit the boat extremely tight.

I have that exact cover, mine is gray w/ black supra logo.
extremely thick cloth, and water beads on it and sheds amazing.
I want snap covers though.

techsledder
08-25-2009, 09:36 AM
This is what I had made.

jonyb
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
jony,

If you ever get back to Cumberland(the best lake in the world :D ) let me know. Might even have room for you guys to stay. I'm there almost every weekend.
Thanks Steve! We haven't been back since we sold the Baja, but would love to do a houseboat trip sometime. What's the word on LCM? Heard there's a few deals to be had up there. "Bankers are on site".

That's exactly like the one I mentioned, and now that I think about it, before I bought my boat, I looked at one identical to that one at a dealer. Had the same cover on it. It's exactly like the one on my Baja and I could tow with it. It was actually a shipping cover for when the boat was transported from the factory.

KY Steve
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Steve! We haven't been back since we sold the Baja, but would love to do a houseboat trip sometime. What's the word on LCM? Heard there's a few deals to be had up there. "Bankers are on site".

Apparently they are reorganizing under chapter 11 protection. Heard they are a great dealer, but the news is not surprising given the current state of the boating industry.

Not sure what deals there are, we are out of Jamestown and dont get to the north end of the lake often. The poker run is in 3 weeks and LCM is always involved with lots of racing boats, might hear more info then unless I get distracted with the scenery ;) .

I know there are deals on houseboat rentals, definitely let me know if you head down that way.

jonyb
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Apparently they are reorganizing under chapter 11 protection. Heard they are a great dealer, but the news is not surprising given the current state of the boating industry.

Not sure what deals there are, we are out of Jamestown and dont get to the north end of the lake often. The poker run is in 3 weeks and LCM is always involved with lots of racing boats, might hear more info then unless I get distracted with the scenery ;) .

I know there are deals on houseboat rentals, definitely let me know if you head down that way.

That's what I've heard... Deals like: a $1.2M Outerlimits just sold for $500K. I miss going to the poker run. That was always a fun weekend.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-09-2009, 01:15 AM
The cover pictured is a factory Supra cover. It is listed as, "Canvas: Logo Cover, (Black) " on their customize and build page online. They are $550 dollars. The one for 2008 has ratchets on each side. I think they may have changed that to the rear ratchet only in 2009, but not 100% sure on that. The side ratchets are nice as you can set one in place and there is enough slack on each side to use just one side as I do on my dock.

This cover is 100 times better than my two piece bow and cockpit cover that I had on my Moomba as far as not allowing water to run into the bow off the windshield.

The only downfall to the supra one is that it is not towable. I did get a price last year from a local canvas shop in Columbia, SC that guaranteed it for 70mph highway speed, but the cost was $1000.

Hope this helps.

I have both covers (two piece bow and cockpit) and the full Canvas cover. My first season 2007, in only had the two piece cover, and that cover basically does nothing, except keep the birds out of the boat. It is no good for keeping water out - especially during any sort of storm. Last year I sucked it up and purchased the full canvas cover and am very pleased. The boat stays dry and I think it is easier to put on. The snaps on the two piece are tough to snap sometimes. I keep chapstick on the boat to use as my snap grease! I use the canvas cover 99% of the time. I use the snap on cover when I am trailering long distance (I typically trailer without any cover). The full canvas cover goes easily around the tower. I think I paid $500.00 for the cover (from my Supra Dealer). The snap on covers came with the boat when I purchased it.