PDA

View Full Version : 05 21v Ballast filling automatically

scschubert
08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
While driving down the lake with the ballast swithces off they seem to fill up. Does anybody know what is causing this? They fill fine and empty fine with the swithces but seem to fill themselves when I don't need them???

jonyb
08-12-2009, 06:35 PM
It's those junky sprinkler valves. There's a small black plastic piece on each one that you can turn to let water pass through the valve without the pump on. Make sure those are set right. The other problem could be that the valve is bad.

Fman
08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
While driving down the lake with the ballast swithces off they seem to fill up. Does anybody know what is causing this? They fill fine and empty fine with the swithces but seem to fill themselves when I don't need them???

Another option is to eliminate them completely, that is what I have done and it is working great.

scschubert
08-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Okay well the toggle switch was in the up position which was causing the valves to always be open. I put them down and all is good with water not automatically filling but I have a new problem.

NEW PROBLEM:

The back left ballast won't empty. I checked the fuse and it's good. The light on the switch turns on when in empty position. I don't hear the pump turning on like I do when it is in the fill position. Are there two separate pumps? Is there a breaker that needs to be reset? What would cause the pump not to make noise when in the empty position but does work in the fill position????

scschubert
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
It's those junky sprinkler valves. There's a small black plastic piece on each one that you can turn to let water pass through the valve without the pump on. Make sure those are set right. The other problem could be that the valve is bad.

That worked thanks, but now I have a new problem on the back left ballast not being able to empty.

Fman
08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Okay well the toggle switch was in the up position which was causing the valves to always be open. I put them down and all is good with water not automatically filling but I have a new problem.

NEW PROBLEM:

The back left ballast won't empty. I checked the fuse and it's good. The light on the switch turns on when in empty position. I don't hear the pump turning on like I do when it is in the fill position. Are there two separate pumps? Is there a breaker that needs to be reset? What would cause the pump not to make noise when in the empty position but does work in the fill position????

You have a seperate drain pump for each bag, there is one pump to fill the bags that feeds through the sprinkler manifold. If you are getting power to your drain pump and it is not coming on it probably has gone bad. I have been told the Tsunami 800's will fit in the bracket that is on the old pump. It will also drain the bags a little faster than the current stock drain pumps. You can pick up a Tsunami 800 for about $30. Try www.wakemakers.com they will be able to send you one.

jonyb
08-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Or just take the old one out and make sure there's no trash in it. I've had carpet get in one of mine and cause it to blow the fuses. Take it out and blow air through it to see if anything comes out, then power up the pump while it's out.

scschubert
08-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Probably a dumb question but this is my first boat with a ballast system. Where is the pump located and is it easy to change out if it is bad. Probably next to the toggles under the middle back seat???

Fman
08-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Probably a dumb question but this is my first boat with a ballast system. Where is the pump located and is it easy to change out if it is bad. Probably next to the toggles under the middle back seat???

You rear drain pumps should be in the back engine compartment in the corner, there is a side panel you can remove and it will expose the engine compartment and make it much easier to remove/install. Not the fold down panel, its the most rear panel that has some screw heads to remove in order to take it out. The front drain on my sunsport is in the front ski locker, right next to the bilge pump. On a 21V I am not sure where exactly its located, I would imagine in your front bow area, right next to the bag fill port.

Sluggo
08-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I know this is a long shot, but my wiring was crossed up at the switch panel. When I want to fill the right bag I have to move the left fill switch to fill. When I want to empty the right side bag, I use the right side switch and move it empty. And then vice versa for the left bag. I have not had time to correct this issue and don't use my ballast system that much so it has been a low priority. I would assume this is an oversite from the build process and they must test both rear bags at the same time. As a matter of fact, I did not notice myself until one day I had a bunch of heavy folks sitting on the left side and was trying to balance the boat a little.

scschubert
08-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy a repair manual that shows where everything is located on the boat??? Trying to do the fix on my own to save some bucks!

jonyb
08-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I know this is a long shot, but my wiring was crossed up at the switch panel. When I want to fill the right bag I have to move the left fill switch to fill. When I want to empty the right side bag, I use the right side switch and move it empty. And then vice versa for the left bag. I have not had time to correct this issue and don't use my ballast system that much so it has been a low priority. I would assume this is an oversite from the build process and they must test both rear bags at the same time. As a matter of fact, I did not notice myself until one day I had a bunch of heavy folks sitting on the left side and was trying to balance the boat a little.

Go back to the valve manifold and swap the 2 power harnesses for the left and right bags. That will solve your problem on filling the wrong sides.

I'm under the assumption that nothing is tested at the factory. My boat wouldn't have left that place had they tested it. I'm not being fecitious, just saying that it had problems when I launched it the first time that should've been caught at the factory. Guess it was a Friday boat.