PDA

View Full Version : A little whitewash on one side of wake

Fman
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM
On my '08 Sunsport 22V I am noticing the left (passenger side) of the boat is demanding more weight to get a smoother wake with no foam. I am filling up the left ballast more than the right side to help this. Does anyone else have this problem? I am running at about 22 MPH boarding, 65 ft rope, and the wakeplate at about 1/2 up. The drivers side wake always seems to be perfect with no whitewash on it.

Example, I had a really nice ramped wake going yesterday, picked someone else up at the dock (220 lbs), and that person sat on the passenger side of the boat and the wave had whitewash on it again on the passengers side.

Any help or suggestsio to eliminate this would be great.

Thanks....

jonyb
08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Move the people.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah we do get that. The load in the boat is always different so we are always having to move people or weight one side a bit more. Sometimes as much as a couple hundred pounds. I also have 100lbs dumbell weights in the rear on port side since that side seems to always needs it.

Fman
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah we do get that. The load in the boat is always different so we are always having to move people or weight one side a bit more. Sometimes as much as a couple hundred pounds. I also have 100lbs dumbell weights in the rear on port side since that side seems to always needs it.

So it sounds like this is normal, I am going to experiment with even filling the large 750 lb bag more on the passenger side to offset more. Like I said, drivers side wake is always stellar, steep and rampy with no whitewash. Must be because of the prop spin that throws whitewash on the passenger side.

mapleleaf
08-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Notsure about the prop spin, but with the smaller Conbrio, the people weight is always an issue, trying to keep everybody seated so that the wake is even has been my challenge of the summer. Seems like driver's side is always sweet and the port side always needs work. It's a bummer , most of my friends look at me as though I'm not speaking english when I try and explain this to them.....

JohnnyH
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
agree. the port side is harder to get a clean surf wave. on my 22ssv i fill the port side rear and empty the other side. At 10.2 mph the torch of the left hand prop makes the boat lite on the port side. If you have a wake plate, lift it all the way up. Just one guys opinion.

Fman
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
agree. the port side is harder to get a clean surf wave. on my 22ssv i fill the port side rear and empty the other side. At 10.2 mph the torch of the left hand prop makes the boat lite on the port side. If you have a wake plate, lift it all the way up. Just one guys opinion.

I was actually referring to wakeboarding, not surfing. But I have ran into the same problem with either, I am also beginning to wonder if filling the center ballast for surfing or wakeboarding is actually helping or making it worse. I might try this week just going with the rear sacs and no front sac to see the difference, if any.

Diggs
08-18-2009, 10:11 AM
fman,
I think it is pretty common with that hull. Trying speeding up a bit and moving people over to the other side. Make sure your front bag is filling all the way and make sure you burp the air out. If you don't burp it you might be surprised how much of the bag is actually full of air and not weight.

csuggs
08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
FYI - you should try balancing the boat with a guy out on a barefoot boom! Tried that last weekend and you can't get enough ballast (people) on the driver's side to counter-balance a would-be barefooter out on the boom!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned - if you see whitewash it means the balance is off and you need to put more weight on the side with the whitewash.

Fman
08-20-2009, 02:08 PM
fman,
I think it is pretty common with that hull. Trying speeding up a bit and moving people over to the other side. Make sure your front bag is filling all the way and make sure you burp the air out. If you don't burp it you might be surprised how much of the bag is actually full of air and not weight.
Diggs,

I just vented all of my bags this week, I can already tell it is going to be much better. I was amazed how much air was in the front center bag, I would bet I was loosing 30% easily when filling. Going out this weekend to try it out.

It looks like all the pro riders for Supra regardless of boat size are using 1900 lbs of ballast and 22-26 mph. I am boarding at 21-22, I might need to bump up the speed a little. Also considering filling the left rear with more weight than the right to counter it a little. Unfortunately with no gauges, I need put a timer on it, which seems to work pretty good.