PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Box Failure--Sunk!

bobtriad
02-11-2004, 02:06 AM
In a high speed turn with two big inner-tubers out behind, I snapped the rudder right out of the boat. The through-hull rudder box is about 4" square and the backing glassed into the hull surrounding the box WAS only 5 inches square. That hole sunk my boat within about 90 seconds. Fortunately, I made it to shore before complete inundation---no water in the induction of the engine, OR on the instrumentation. Reglassed a new rudder box into the hull, with 12" square backing (stringer to stringer, like most other comp boats!!). Just about back on the water.... I think this is design flaw and SUPRA should have made this good, but they were unwilling to consider any responsibility for this situation. 454 engine...507 total hours.

jflock2
02-11-2004, 06:41 PM
What Supra model was this?

bobtriad
02-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Sorry..I omitted saying this is a 1988 Bravura (closed bow version of the Mariah).

87 Blue Saltare
04-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Bob,

How does that rudder seal? THere is a big nut on the shaft with a lock nut below it and it looks to me like cranking that down has to do with the seal. Does that sound right to you? Does water come through there if that nut isn't cranked down?

Thanks, David