PDA

View Full Version : Eating Belts

csuggs
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Has anyone out there had a problem with the motor eating belts. When I bought this boat last summer the belts were worn, and there was rubber dust all over the front of the motor and on the under side of the motor cover. The alignment appears to be ok.

I put new PCM belts on this spring and replace the alternator pulley because I noticed that it was pitted and could be the culprit of the belts wearing. But I am still having the problem. It also could be that it only happens when I'm running the boat hard.

Anybody had the same problem? Any solutions?

tg0824SSVGG
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I was on an Supra from the early 2000 this summer, where the guy that owned
it said he was losing belts. He said that all of hte pulley's except the one for
the alternator had wheels for dual-belts. He said he had a fab-shop make him
a pulley-wheel for the alternator, now he runs 2 belts - and hasn't lost one
since.

Dont' know if this is your problem or not - but it almost sounds like the belt can't
handle the load it has ...

87SunSportMikeyD
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
suggs I have the exact same problem. Lots of dust on engine and pitted pullies. I am fairly sure the pullies need to be removed, sandblasted and repainted.

I heard that only higher power alts (like double the one I just got and above) need two belts.

csuggs
08-14-2009, 01:18 PM
suggs I have the exact same problem. Lots of dust on engine and pitted pullies. I am fairly sure the pullies need to be removed, sandblasted and repainted.

I heard that only higher power alts (like double the one I just got and above) need two belts.

Yeah - I'm sure it doesn't need two belts. That's a simple matter of engineering, and the PCM design from the 80's is tried and true. My pulleys are pitted, so I think when Jim Jackson has the motor out this winter I'll have him sand-blast and powder-coat the pulleys. :D

saltare inverts
08-14-2009, 09:04 PM
I had same problem. I sandblasted and painted pullies. Found out that the new alternator has a smaller v than stock. The PCM belts are real thick. I got regular automotive belt for the alt. and problem was fixed.

themacguru
08-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Sounds like the geometry is off check to see if the balancer is losse.
THere also might be too much play in the water pump.
When belts get eaten up first thing to check is the belt route.
something is out of adjustment or loose.
ALso a pulley could be bad the motors are basic think that way.
Look into a problem too par and you will be going in the wrong direction.
Back to the basics.

mapleleaf
08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
crate 572, should solve all problems.....

csuggs
08-14-2009, 10:41 PM
crate 572, should solve all problems.....

Leaf, I knew you'd have the answer!

Everything is in alignment and I thought that the alternator pulley was the problem so I ordered a replacement from PCM. Also the belts are PCM. All from www.skidim.com It was better for while but now is getting a little worse. But, the last couple of times out I ran it pretty hard which I'm sure made a difference.

Still like the 572 solution though . . . .

rludtke
08-15-2009, 01:35 AM
It seems to me that only four things could cause harm to your belts:
incorrect alignment, incorrect tension, poor pulley-belt surface condition, and perhaps, failing bearings on a belt driven device.

Are the belts wearing on aforward or aft edge above the intended v contact area? If so, this would indicate a pulley being out of alignment, and will shred the belts rather quickly. This part of the belt contains the greatest portion of strength, and is not designed to contact anything.

Also, check you components with the belt off, for bearing wear, by feeling for end play, and lateral play.

bones77
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
are there any companies the have a serpentine conversion kit for the older motors? if so i would perfer have one belt to change and carry 1 extra onboard than several. just wondering??