PDA

View Full Version : Trailer maintenance?

Fman
08-15-2009, 11:01 PM
What trailer maintenace does everyone perform on an annual basis?

rludtke
08-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Clean and grease your wheel bearings at the start of each season.
Inspect and repair as necisary:

Brake system
lights

mapleleaf
08-16-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm up North where the winter is pretty harsh so I like to put my trailer up on jackstand's and grease and turn the wheels so I don't get rust spots on the bearing races, everything else would be a ditto to what Rick said, wiring lights, lube the the leg at the front of the trailer, and a little dielectric grease in the wiring harness connector......

Sluggo
08-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Ditto on the Ditto, but I believe all the newer trailers have oil bath bearings. I changed the oil in my 05 trailer hubs last fall given I personally had put several hundred miles on them and who knows what the previous owner did. Turns out the oil looked just as fresh as the new oil. I still plan on checking the oil level each spring, mid summer, and fall, but will probably only change every 2 to 3 years. Anyone have any different recommendation?

tg0824SSVGG
08-16-2009, 12:36 PM
My 08 trailer says they are "supposed" to last 5 years.

The only other thing I seem to have to deal with is staples for the
carpet on the bunks. Mine is only a year old, but I have had to
add staples 2 times now (stainless steel staples) - as I have noticed
the carpet sagging.

mapleleaf
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
My 08 trailer says they are "supposed" to last 5 years.

The only other thing I seem to have to deal with is staples for the
carpet on the bunks. Mine is only a year old, but I have had to
add staples 2 times now (stainless steel staples) - as I have noticed
the carpet sagging.

love the price of those stainless.....

Fman
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I have oil bath bearings as well, other than a reverse light that filled with water a couple months ago, the trailer has been great. Called boatmate and they sent me a new light free or charge.

Sounds like with the oil bath bearing setup not a lot of to do for maintenace.

Duraski
10-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Purchased 2007 Supra 22SSV this summer on boat mate trailer. Has oil bath hubs. Changing this winter. Is recommended oil straight SAE 50 motor oil?

tg0824SSVGG
10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Not if these are Vault oil bath hubs. http://www.pacifictrailers.com/The-VAULT-Hybrid-Lubrication-System/ If there is something wrong with the hubs, check with them - the lubricant and process is special.

If they are not the Vault (which is what I have on my 2008 trailer) - then I don't know the answer to your question.