PDA

View Full Version : New Damper Plate

saltare inverts
08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Just spent three hours pulliung trans. and replacing damper plate. It was on my brother in laws 86 comp. I could not believe how easy it is to pull out the transmission. We repacked his shaft seals also. If anyone is thinking about doing this, go for it. I am planning on rebuilding my trans this winter now. By the way, his boat has the most solid stringers I have ever seen on a boat with wood. His upholstery is also new. He got the boat for 4300.00 Clean and good shape with a galvanized eagle trailer. Some guys have all the luck. Open bow too.

mapleleaf
08-16-2009, 10:53 PM
get him over here, we gotta see some pic's of his boat.....
Good to know there'll be a tranny guy around here!!

techsledder
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
S_I, How many hours were on her? When do you know you have to do a rebuild on the tranny?

wotan2525
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm a little concerned about my tranny.... I changed the fluid when I had the engine out a few weeks back and there was a lot of sludge in the bottom of it. I'm not sure the tranny fluid has ever been changed. What were the symptoms that yours was having problems?
What does it take to rebuild them?

tg0824SSVGG
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Wotan,

Is it slipping? If I were you - I would go out and run it hard for several hours - then
change the fluid again - noticing if it smells bad/off - or has more sludge in it - treat
this last change as a "cleaning cycle".

Just my $.02

saltare inverts
08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
My trans still spins and moves the boat when out of gear. The clutch plates are warped. I am going to rebuild for that reason, it runs fine otherwise. My brother in laws boat had a small rattle when in gear. It was springs broken etc. on damper plate. It takes about 200 bucks and a day to pull trans rebuild and put back in. Assuming all goes right. Its not too hard, not like you would think when rebuilding a trans. Boat trans are alot diff than automotive. She had about 600 hours mine has over 900. Its more about how they were maintained and driven vs how many hours.

wotan2525
08-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Wotan,

Is it slipping? If I were you - I would go out and run it hard for several hours - then
change the fluid again - noticing if it smells bad/off - or has more sludge in it - treat
this last change as a "cleaning cycle".

Just my $.02

Doesn't appear to slip but (something) -- not saying it's my tranny -- makes noise at slow speeds before it warms up. Once it warms up, no problems. Not sure how to tell if it's slipping but it still feels like it would pull stumps out at 1400RPMs.