PDA

View Full Version : 89 Sunsport Motor Needed

Foxrat
08-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Hi Everyone
I recently bought a 98 Sunsport at a very good price, I knew the 2 rear freeze plugs were out but bought it anyway hoping the motor was ok but alas it had frozen and broke, So i am on the lookout for a Ford 351 longblock.
Does anyone know the best place to buy one at a reasonable price or is it possible to put a different motor in its place as all the 351 motors I look at seem to be very expensive. I would greatly appreciate the help and know how from the forum as you all seem to know your stuff about your boats.

I will post some pictures soon

mapleleaf
08-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Welcome to the forum...
Not sure I can help with your motor, but there are a ton of great motor guys here, and it's monday, so you'll prolly get get some advice all day!!!
Pic's would be goooooooood....

Foxrat
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=401

Foxrat
08-17-2009, 08:51 AM
https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=406

csuggs
08-18-2009, 08:50 AM
The Ford 351W is a great motor, and what I have in my 86 Sunsport. But, I always thought that if something happened to that motor, I would convert to a GM 350. They are tried and true, parts are easy to find, and the old pushrod 350's are just hard to beat.
Food for thought, I guess. . . . .

agetech
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
The 351 was the choice of ski-boat builders for a long time. It is compact, a very strong block, and has loads of torque. You should be able to find a marine short block at a resonable price. If not, a truck block would work, but a marine block has a higher nickel content in the casting for longer life in a harsh environment. If you use a truck block be sure to use the marine components off your old engine. Fuel pump, alternator, starter, carb, etc. A truck block will not last as long if used in salt water, but should be OK for fresh water use.

Oilguy
08-21-2009, 11:51 PM
If you converted it to a Chevy 350 >> What would you need to change to hook it back up to the tranny?

Reason I ask is because I am build my 85 Sunsport from the trailer up and I need a new motor also...

Will the tranny connect to the 350?

zalamander
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
If you are looking for an cheap engine I would check with your local Craigslist. You may end up with an unwanted pick up truck attached to your used egine, but you can usually find one that doesnt smoke for under $500. I have an '82 MasterCraft S&S as well as a '90 Supra sunsport (both with 351's). The MC doesn't have the original PCM block in it, but runs great. My guess is that the original owner didn't winterize correctly. I would stay away from trying to swap a 350 into your boat. You may need a different bell housing to attach to the tranny, and you might have to redo the motor mounts. I've swapped engines in trucks before, and it ends up being a lot of work!!! Stick with a 351 and K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).
I agree with agetech, make sure to swap all of your accessories on to the new block, since they are designed for marine use.

Oilguy
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
The Boat I bought came with a truck motor that wasn't installed.. I have it on the motor stand and it looks to be ok but it is just a bare block & heads... I have a marine starter, alternator, and raw water pump but it didn't come with any brackets to attach them to the block....
What is a good place to find the stuff I need?:confused:

If I can find the right brackets then all I need is a good carb and I am set.

So far this boat has been the ultimate basket case!

zalamander
08-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Here is a link to SKIDIM.COM

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1045

It should bring you to the brackets.
Save them under your favorites... you will go there often!
They have everything for Inboard boats.
Good Luck!

csuggs
08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
There's always the possibility of a new 502 crate motor. Just sayin . . . .

zalamander
08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree, but as long as we're dreamin' why stop there?

csuggs
08-25-2009, 04:13 PM
When my motor stops running, maybe we'll go there!!!!!

zalamander
08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, I hope it doesn't come to that.
I know a 502 crate (depending on build) can be about 5k-10k +.
It would be awesome to cruise on that beast though.
Have you looked into what it would take to mate up to your tranny?

mapleleaf
08-25-2009, 09:41 PM
If we're spending money on bellhousing's why stop at 502??
Rebuild the doghouse for a blower and pull a whole village skiing!!!!

csuggs
08-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, I hope it doesn't come to that.
I know a 502 crate (depending on build) can be about 5k-10k +.
It would be awesome to cruise on that beast though.
Have you looked into what it would take to mate up to your tranny?

No I haven't looked into it - and I hope it doesn't come to that. But it makes you think . . .

Foxrat
08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Ok Guys, Here is the progress so far. I managed to find a automotive long block for $350 that has been moved around a bit but was still on the original Remanufactured crate, Found it local on craigs list so thank you Zalamander for the idea. I have started stripping down the old motor and found a crack in the water Jacket next to the #3 Cylinder, Lots of oil/water mix everywhere,
It is still draining after 3 days, I will be using all the marine parts of the old motor and have bought several new parts from Skidim.com (Great Site).

While I was shopping around I found some Distributors on ebay for a steal, Check this out :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prestolite-Marine-Distributor-Ford-Volvo_W0QQitemZ2486798891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_P arts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item94398a2b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116[/URL]

I am seriosly thinking of getting one but would really like to go electronic and do away with the points, Is there a distributor that you can buy that is already electronic and what else needs to be changed on the elec side of things?

Thanks for all the comments and I will keep you all informed on my progress and maybe a photo or two.

csuggs
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Congrats on your progress! The switch to electronic ignition is really the way to go. If you're old distributor was good, I would just buy the Pertronix kit from skidim. Easy installation and well worth the money. They did have a special on earlier in the year on that kit, you might ask if it is still valid. Keep us posted on your progress!
One suggestion, check out your pulley on the front of the motor. If they are pitted or rough, now would be a good time to either replace them, or have them sandblasted and painted or powder coated. This will save you the aggrivation of getting belt dust all over your newly finished motor!

agetech
08-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I have the Skidim kit with coil if you are interested. Used about 1 month, then I switched distributers. CHEAP

OUI
08-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Go with a Mallory Ignition Kit. The kits come with everything, Distibutor, Coil, Plug Wires and Electronic Ignition. It's cheaper by far from any other system and it works great.

Foxrat
08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi OUI
Can you tell me which mallory kit to use?

zalamander
09-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I would reccomend that you stay with the original "marine" distributor if you still have it.

You have several options:

1. Purchase kit from skidim.com (they have great customer/technical support). I don't know for sure, but they should have all of the wiring needed to upgrade as well.

2. I know a guy that can refurbish, balance, and upgrade to HEI for $150 (he also includes all wiring and elec. diagram/walkthrough). He does this for street rodders, I ran across him from a buddy of mine while we were building a '77 corvette. The great thing is that you can send him your original "marine" distributor, and when you get it back it will look brand new and be elec. ign. Here is his information: http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

3. Go with the Mallory kit. If it's less than $250 it would be a great deal! Especially if it comes with everything mentioned. I spent about $250 for dist, wires, coil when I did upgrade.

I do know that it is recommended to upgrade your coil if you do electronic ignition (either MSD or HEI) but not necessary. Also when you do the conversion you should find somewhere on the rear of the block that you can mount your coil in a vertical position rather than on the intake manifold in a horizontal position. Again not necessary but recommended. You will also want to get a new set of 8mm mag core wires (if you move your coil you'll have to make sure that the coil wire is longer than the one offered on skidim.com)

P.S. If you haven't already, you may want to look into a new Alternator with an internal voltage regulator.

Ontarion
09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Just in case anyone is thinking about the Prestolite on Ebay. Note that the 351 mentioned is a Cleveland Big Block. It also states no way it fits a 302. As the marine 351's are small blocks. They are also stroked 302's.

beast 496
09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Stick with a marine 351 jsut bite the bullet and buy a long block 351W. you will be happier in the long run. How are your manifolds and risors? If they froze also, replace. How is the transmission cooler, bulged, replace. Do not use an automotive long block, you will not be happy with the performance. Keep all of the marinized items, carb, distributer, alternator, fuel pump, starter. Allan

zalamander
09-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Stick with a marine 351 jsut bite the bullet and buy a long block 351W. you will be happier in the long run. How are your manifolds and risors? If they froze also, replace. How is the transmission cooler, bulged, replace. Do not use an automotive long block, you will not be happy with the performance. Keep all of the marinized items, carb, distributer, alternator, fuel pump, starter. Allan

I respectfully disagree. The heads, intake, cam & carb are where you get most of the performance. As mentioned before the only difference in the block is that the "Marine" block has a higher nickel content for harsh conditions. I also have a 1982 MasterCraft Stars & stripes. Which has an "Auto" block in it, and it runs great! There is no lack in performance and I've even run it alongside other MC's with original block and there is no difference. As long as you keep your heads (you may want to resurface, and have inspected), and all other items you should be fine. Not to mention if you are trying to do this on a budget an "Auto" block is the way to go.