PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Play in 03 Sunsport Swim Platform

Fishman
08-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I am very new to the website. I've had a 03 Sunsport for 4 years.

Love the boat, but I've always had one little annoying problem...the swim platform has a lot of play. The only time it bothers me is when we are just hanging out and a wave comes along and Ca-chunk, Ca-chunk, as the swim platform moves up and down, you can feel the banging all though the boat.

Looking at the connections under the platform, it attually looks like this is how it's designed...but, does anyone have the same problem or a solution?

Thanks!

Sluggo
08-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Same problem with my 05 22 SSV. When I anchor in a cove or something I try to point the nose into the oncoming wake using two anchors to minimize the problem. Just make sure all your mounting srews are tight so you don't end up like that poor guy in the Neatherlands.

KY Steve
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Exact same issue, its one of my winter projects this year.

Would also like to hear suggestions.

RED WINE ROCKER
08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I belive play is designed in as to accomadate a large area with a lot of force on it.....if it was ridgid it might yank your screws out....lots of play/thats wierd....some play = engineering.:confused:

Fishman
08-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks to all who responded. KY Steve, when you say it's one of your winter projects...are you going to try something to fix the problem?

I agree that this is the way is designed....just got pulled behind my nieghbors x-10...platform was a little higher on the back of the boat but had absolutely no play at all which was sweet.

Yeah, the play is about an inch or 2, up and down at the far edge of the platform...but it's enough to annoy the bejesus out of me when I'm trying to read/relax.

mapleleaf
08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I read on a thread here, talking about older Supra's with noisey platform's that a guy had taken an old margerine container and cut plastic shim/washer's that were the width of the bracket and put them at the bottom in the transom cleat to make a barrier between the bracket on the transom and the bracket on the platform and his rattles were gone......
I bored (very little)out the eyelets on mine and replaced the quick release pins with stainless bolts, I still get a little noise, but nothing like the ca chunk I remember when I bought the boat......I just have to have a wrench when taking off the swimplatform....almost never! And I know it won't fall off!!!!

KY Steve
08-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks to all who responded. KY Steve, when you say it's one of your winter projects...are you going to try something to fix the problem?

Yeah, the play is about an inch or 2, up and down at the far edge of the platform...but it's enough to annoy the bejesus out of me when I'm trying to read/relax.

I see where red wine is going but I have less than an inch of play on the far edge of my platform and that is no where near the amount needed to dissipate any energy on the transom. Its just enough to "annoy the bejesus" out of you when the boat is stopped, especially if there is any ballast and the platform is under water.

I plan to secure the platform to the transom brackets either with bolts, welding or using shims. I never remove it so the quick release is not needed. Its on my long list of mods' this winter.

Fishman
08-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Good stuff. I hadn't thought of the shim or stainless steel bolt ideas. Maybe I will use a combination, But I'll have to get it off the shorestation to have a good look at it. I actually have to take the swim platform off every fall to fit it my garage for winter.

But just so I understand correctly, no one sees a problem taking the play out of the platform and the cleat? I guess if you think about it, the constant banging up and down on the cleat/transom would probably be much worse on the transom and cleat connections than if it was solid. Again, any mastercraft or malibu I've boarded behind does not have any play in the platform.

So, this is really starting to look like an engineering flaw and the play is not designed to be there. I am very surprised Supra hasn't fixed this problem over the years...sounds like even the newer boats have the same issues.

techsledder
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Engineered in play with the forces of water pushing up and down on the platforms mounting? I would say that’s a bad idea if that was the case. Over time a joint like that could add excessive wear to the connection points. I would look at adding a rubber grommet or some stiff rubber gasketing material to absorb some of that play to dampen the effects of the loose tolerances on the mounting areas. Are there some pictures we can look at here at the problem connections?

tg0824SSVGG
08-21-2009, 10:58 AM
My 08 does the same thing ... just another view that this is still happening.

It's funny, because when I am removing or putting the platform on/off (I don't do
this often) - I don't feel the play - it seems snug - but out in the water, when
rollers hit - you sure can hear it banging around.

Fishman
08-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Unbelievable. I have a problem with an 02 Susport 21V and it sounds like brand new Supras are still coming off the line with play in the platform. I am in agreement that any play at all will cause undue stress on the brackets and transom. Sounds like a crap design.

I don't have any pics, but I'm going down to the boat now to inspect...more soon.

Fishman
08-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Ok, I just went down and took a good look. There is about an 1/8 gap in the top of the cleat on the boat where the swim platform fits in. In other works, about 1/8" gap at the top of the female part of the connection. The platform is actually pivoting where the 3 quick release pins go through the cleats. This 1/8" translates to a real sloppy connection and a whole lot of bangin' when we are anchored down...

Someone mentioned putting bolts through where the quick release pins go though. On my boat, my pins actually fit pretty good and the real problem is with the gap in the cleat.

So, on my boat at least, I can tell that if I somehow shim up that gap when I put the platform on, I should get rid of the problem...the trick will be doing it so I can still take the platform off in the fall for storage.

Geez, had to go out with a jacket on...57 degrees and wind in Northern Wisconsin today...and yes I'm pissed off about Farve.

techsledder
08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I've had some really nice black MIL-SPEC rubber gasketing (w/ a self adhesive backing) material in the past that I have used for rubbing parts on my duck boat. I bet if we could get a 3/32” – 7/64” thick piece of that in the gap you could be set. I think I understand the area you are talking about, but a picture sure would help out a great deal!
I plan on being up in the Crandon area for the Labor Day weekend do you ever make it that way?
Farve is a lost soul, best to leave that one alone…

Fman
08-26-2009, 12:31 AM
I have an '08 Sunsport 22V and I noticed I also have about 1/8" of play in the platform. When my ballast is full it gets worse because the platform is under water and wants to float up which causes it to move every time the boat has any movement.

If anyone has any ideas how to tighten this up please let me know. All the pins look good, just a poor design with some slop.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I would send [email protected] an email and see what they recommend. (No sarcastic comments!)

Blackntan90
08-29-2009, 07:36 AM
As tech said, mine came with some rubber pads on the brackets to isolate one from the other- no noise or movement at all!

Oilguy
08-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I love solving challenges like this... Problem is .... No pictures!

Fishman
08-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm back. Last time I was in the boat I took some toilet shims with me...they are wedge shaped and use under toilets to level them out. They also have little grooves cut in them. Kids wanted to swim so we floated in the middl of the lake. I pressed 2 of them in the cleat gaps and the problem was solved...absolutely no play, bangin', and me being annoyed. Going down to take pics now and will post them soon.

Now, I'm not sure this is the best solution,, but if you fill the gap in the cleat with something it does work and I seriously doubt there is any more stress on the cleat. If anything the weight should be distributed better to all the cleats when shimmed.

Fish

Fishman
08-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Ok, here a pick of a cleat without the toilet shim and on with the shim.

I think if there was some hard rubber with adhesiive back that you could stick in the gap it would be perfect. I think something that stick would be perfect because I lost one shim by the time I got home.1315

(I never attached anything to one of these messages before...I used the paperclip above) If I'm doing this wrong, please tell me.

Fishman
08-30-2009, 09:09 AM

the thumbnail on previous post did not work so here's another one of the shim

Fishman
08-30-2009, 09:14 AM
ok, if thunbnail doesn't open when you click on it...right click and then click open link. That should work.

Fish

tg0824SSVGG
08-30-2009, 09:16 AM
When I went out to try to take a picture yesterday, I couldn't figure out
how to show what I was seeing with a still picture.

From what I can tell, the hole on the "platform" part of the quick release is
bigger than the hole on the "boat" part of the release. The pin is "nearly snug"
on the part attached to the boat, but there was like an 1/8 of an inch I could
push the platform upwards (maybe less than that) - before the "platform"
part of the mount would be stopped by that pin. By pushing it up, it would
then also be able to move "away from the boat (I think the mount is tapered
- to allow for a snug fit when all the way down). By being able to move it "up",
it then gets lots of play - which causes the "noise" and movement.

To me - the solution is PROBABLY to make the hold on the boat-side- bracket (this
is the outer part when the paltform is on the boat) match the
hole on the platform part - then have a pin/bolt that is the same size.

However, I didn't notice if there is enough material there to be worried if you
were to drill this out. I think the shim's will probably be a short-term
solution -

Not sure what I will do yet - probably nothing until the season is over.

Todd

Fishman
08-30-2009, 10:10 AM
I gotcha Todd. I guess you could drill a second set of hole, but at least on my boat, you would still have a metal on metal connection...any play at all will probably make some noise. I'm going with some hard rubber in that 1/8" gap and I'm convinced that will do the trick...I just have to find the right stuff.

Dude, you have one sweet looking boat.

Fish

tg0824SSVGG
08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks - we think so too!

Fman
08-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Fishman,

Do you get those toilet shims at your local hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot)? That looks like a pretty easy fix, did you have to pound them in with a mallet to make them not pop up?

Todd,

I have the same issue on my boat, the platform bracket hole is larger than the mounting hole which is causing the 1/8" upward movement. It looks like Fishman has come up with a pretty easy fix, dont know how long term it will be, but for now its cheap and easy. I think I am going to give it a go.

Fishman
08-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Not a lot of planning went into this fix...I opened a few drawers of my toolbox and saw those toilet shims...family was waiting for me at the boat so I went down and just pressed them in with thumb as hard as I could...on disappeared after awhile and the other one is still in there after 4 good rides.

So, if you knock em in with a rubber mallet they might just stay in for the summer...not sure. But it's a real easy fix.

Yes, got the shims at hardware store(ace). Just as for Toilet shims and I think they come 3-4 to a pack for cheap.

good luck and let me know how it goes...You will be amazed the first time you are just floating with the lack ca-chunk, ca-chunk from the back end.

Fish

Fman
08-31-2009, 01:27 AM
Not a lot of planning went into this fix...I opened a few drawers of my toolbox and saw those toilet shims...family was waiting for me at the boat so I went down and just pressed them in with thumb as hard as I could...on disappeared after awhile and the other one is still in there after 4 good rides.

So, if you knock em in with a rubber mallet they might just stay in for the summer...not sure. But it's a real easy fix.

Yes, got the shims at hardware store(ace). Just as for Toilet shims and I think they come 3-4 to a pack for cheap.

good luck and let me know how it goes...You will be amazed the first time you are just floating with the lack ca-chunk, ca-chunk from the back end.

Fish

Going tomorrow to pick some up, I am going to pound them in with a rubber mallet to see if they will stay in for awhile. Sent a mesage to Rob Loucks (sp?) a few days ago about this and have heard nothing back from him (again). :(

techsledder
08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Fish, good work with the wedges!

Fman
08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I pounded a couple in today with a hammer in the swim deck today, I can't budge it now. It will be interesting how long they will stay in. If they dont fall out I think this might be a great $3 fix. Time will tell.

tg0824SSVGG
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
What if you need to remove the platform? - I don't remove it often, but I do occasionally.

Fman
08-31-2009, 05:43 PM
What if you need to remove the platform? - I don't remove it often, but I do occasionally.

I am sure if you pound upward on it hard enough with a rubber mallet it will break free, its only a little piece of ribbed plastic that is holding it from coming upward. I dont need to remove my platform to fit it in my garage. You could also dig it out with a flathead screwdriver if necessary.

Fishman
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Should be no problem getting them out. You should be able to just grab them with a pliers and pull em out.

Thanks Tech. Fish

KO1
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I have two pieces of a Stihl splitting wedge in mine and it keeps it from banging at all. They are long enough that when I want to remove the platform they pull out fairly easy.

Fman
09-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Here is the reply I recieved from Roger Lowery of Skiers Choice regarding how the platform is attached to the boat and the excess play.

"I will check with engineering about the excessive play with your platform. The swim platform bases are mounted to the boat with through bolts in the top using lock washers and lock nuts, the bottom of the bracket is fastened using self tapping screws which tap into thick aluminum plate glassed into the transom. It is very unlikely that you have or will have an issue with the mounting of your swim platform bases to the boat. Most of the movement in a removable platform system comes from the fact that in order for it to be removable, there has to be enough play that the platform brackets can be removed from the base. Over time as the platform brackets wear, this play can increase. The question is; at what point does the movement become excessive. The platform bracket that mounts to the swim platform is easily replaceable, so if you feel your movement is excessive, it is possible to install new brackets to minimize the movement. If you feel that your issue is between the mounting of the platform base and the transom of the boat, we suggest that you take your boat to your dealer so that they can do an inspection, to ensure that everything is structurally sound."

I have no movement in my mouting brackets, its coming from swim platform bracket while inserted into the mounting bracket. So far the toilet wedge is working, I am going to Lake test it Friday and see how it holds up. I was a little surprised they did use self tapping screws for the bottom of the bracket assembly. So far I have had no issuses with it coming loose, but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

KO1
09-02-2009, 10:56 PM
The swim platform bases are mounted to the boat with through bolts in the top using lock washers and lock nuts, the bottom of the bracket is fastened using self tapping screws which tap into thick aluminum plate glassed into the transom.

Wrong Mine had ONLY self tapping screws Absolutetly NO through bolts with nuts and washers.Mouting Plates were NOT glassed into the transom. The so called THICK aluminum plate Is 1/8" thick 3"x 5". Plates were actually lying in the bottom of the hull.

It is very unlikely that you have or will have an issue with the mounting of your swim platform bases to the boat.

My platform bases pulled off of the transom

Fman
09-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Wrong Mine had ONLY self tapping screws Absolutetly NO through bolts with nuts and washers.Mouting Plates were NOT glassed into the transom. The so called THICK aluminum plate Is 1/8" thick 3"x 5". Plates were actually lying in the bottom of the hull.

My platform bases pulled off of the transom

I think you might have had a Friday afternoon boat, if every Supra was built this way everyone would have there swimdeck falling off. Sounds like your boat was overlooked when they were producing it. I have 128 hours on my boat this year, have had a lot of weight (multiple people) on the platform and no problems.

Maybe in '08 they changed the mounts? I am keeping an eye on it, but so far it has been fine.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I am still reading along but trying to stay out of this one since I don't have a new model boat. KO1 I would report these problems to a dealer or directly to Skiers Choice. Might be too late to help you and I'm not saying they will nessecarily, but it would be good for them to know of a failure since that's what everyone is worried about.

tg0824SSVGG
09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Mikey - not sure when Keith will check this again - but he tried all that back
when it happened, and ended up having to fix it himself - it was quite a while back - he's just telling people what he saw here.

(He has recently changed user names ... was Foiltech* before)

KO1
09-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I think you might have had a Friday afternoon boat, if every Supra was built this way everyone would have there swimdeck falling off. Sounds like your boat was overlooked when they were producing it. I have 128 hours on my boat this year, have had a lot of weight (multiple people) on the platform and no problems.

Maybe in '08 they changed the mounts? I am keeping an eye on it, but so far it has been fine.

Yes I hope they changed the way it is mounted. It was not a hard fix but I think it should have been attached better from the factory.

I have 1000+ Hours on this boat and even with the few problems that I have had, my next purchase will still be a Supra. They are awesome boats just a few things need a little more attention.

KO1
09-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I am still reading along but trying to stay out of this one since I don't have a new model boat. KO1 I would report these problems to a dealer or directly to Skiers Choice. Might be too late to help you and I'm not saying they will nessecarily, but it would be good for them to know of a failure since that's what everyone is worried about.

Tried that back when it happened as Todd stated. Kinda got the run around from the Supra dealership telling me they would not do anything and SC kept telling me to take it to the dealer. Needless to say it was very frustrating having everyone push it off on some one else. So I had a fiberglass guy help me take on the repair and made it 100 times better. My boat was down for 3-4 days but well worth it.

Fman
09-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Was out on the water today, and the plastic wedges held fine. No movement in the swim platform at all. Even with the ballast full it held great.

Fishman
09-07-2009, 12:01 PM
FMan, just got done with a wboard run on near glass...typing in a wet suit! Glad to hear the toilet shims worked for you.

Fish

Fman
09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
FMan, just got done with a wboard run on near glass...typing in a wet suit! Glad to hear the toilet shims worked for you.

Fish

Thats awesome, I am jealous! Have fun out there... no time this week, hoping to get out next week again... weather has been 90+ still and water temp is in the high 70's.....

tg0824SSVGG
09-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Gonna have to try those shims - mine was driving me nuts this weekend on the rough water.

KY Steve
09-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Hammered the toilet shims in this weekend and it worked like a champ! Thanks Fishman!

SC should include a couple along the the spare keys and parts when you buy a new boat :p