PDA

View Full Version : Late 80's boats

Daffysdoom
08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi there, im thinking of buying an older Supra boat, and im looking for some info. What models were there, and what are the differences? Im looking for a bowrider. Ive seen Saltare's and SkiSupra?? One is a big block chev (454) and the other a small block ford 351. What can you tell me about these older boats? What should i beware of? Thanks!! Dave.

mapleleaf
08-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Depends on what you plan on doing with your boat..... Before '92 Supra's came with wood encased fiberglass stringers and floor's and those are prone to rot....
The Saltare and Sunsport are the bigger boats, higher freeboard height better for wakeboardiung and surfing......both came with either engine you mentioned (there's a good looking Sunsport forsale in Detroit right now, I think on Craigslist)
The Comp boats sit much lower in the water and are amazing for waterskiing, but not that good for weighting down.......
Dig around the forum here and you get some good answers......

Daffysdoom
08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks Mapleleaf. I guess your not far from me, T-O. Ill check the Detroit tip. Im new to glass boats, so im preparing myself for rot. Thanks.

mapleleaf
08-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Yeah I was born up there! I store my boat half between us near Belleville....
It all depends on what kinda project you're looking for, if you have the time and space I don't see the stringer job as a horrible one, lots a fiberglass and dust, but when you're done it's a almost a new boat.....
I've had my Conbrio out on Lake Ontario a bunch this summer and it really makes me want a Sunsport! The bigger open water is not that great for a boat that sits low in the water, perfect for lakes in and around Gatineau, maybe even the Eastern townships or bays on the St. Lawrence.....
I've been doing everything besides stringers to my boat and it has required a lot of time, but has also been really fun, there's a lot to learn!
Lately I've been using Jaxed.com for my used boat searchs it combines a number of sites all at once, someone here I think in the classified section put up a link to it....great site.....
Never heard back from the people in Detroit, but their Sunsport looks awesome and had low hours I think it was a '91....
Happy Hunting!

csuggs
08-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey - welcome to the forum! Asking questions is a great idea before buying.

Leaf is right on about the stringer and rot issues. But don't let that discourage you, just be aware of it. I know several people with late 80's Comps - they are great boats but do sit low in the water. The open bow version of the Comp is the Conbrio - but an open bow that sits that low may not be a good combination. I have the Sunsport which is an open bow, but with a higher freeboard than the Comp. The hull on the Sunsport is much more like what you would find on today's wakeboard boats. However, even with the higher freeboard, if I have adults in the front, I have to be real careful about taking waves over the bow. The tradeoff? My friends with Comps refer to my boat as the "tank" because theirs are more nimble and responsive. But I love my Sunsport, it has plenty of power and lots of wake when I want it!

Good luck with your search!

Daffysdoom
08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Ok, so what are the lengths for sunsport, and saltare's? I believe they are different? Are there pro's and con's to the different motors? small block VS big block?

mapleleaf
08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
the sunsport I belive is 21'and I think the Saltare is 23.5'????
Don't know much about the motor differences, except that there ain't no replacement for displacement!!!!!

techsledder
08-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the forum and good luck w/ the search! Familiarize yourself with differences with the older sunsport and saltare here http://www.supraboats.com/library/downloads/90_20-23-Supra_Owner_Manual.pdf
It’s from the supraboats.com community area, “the library” section, under “owners manuals”. There is one late 80’s manual and several 90’s manuals there for you to bone up on specs and such…

Daffysdoom
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks techsledder, you a sled head? I sold my asphalt prostock cat 2 summers ago. I kinda miss 147 mph, but i have kiddies now!! Time for a boat!!