PDA

View Full Version : When to tackle oxidation

Sluggo
08-20-2009, 10:42 AM
So it had been a while since I had wiped down the boat in the daylight, lol, and I noticed last weekend, that I have a few small spots (quarter inch by 2-3 inches) above the rub rail in my blue and gray gelcoat where oxidation is noticable. Do I take care of these spots ASAP or is wetsanding and refinishing something where the whole top half or whole boat will need to be done at the same time to make it look right?

Dave

Okie Boarder
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I would think it might be advisable to take care of it now. You might be ablt to improve a small area like that rubbing by hand with rubbing or polishing compound and prevent the need for wetsanding and machine polishing later. Just a thought.

SupraTamu
08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I started using a product called Leverage, which has a compound and a wax as well. I did my old boat which was a 1998 33' Baja Outlaw and It turned out looking like new. If you go to a search engine and type in Leverage you can read about it and see what you think. I've used all kinds of different waxes, compounds and polishes in the past and by far have been happy with this product and a bunch of friends have started using it as well. I would take care of the oxidation as it occurs, alot easier doing it now rather than later.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
If you notice it before it gets too bad, you most likely just need to buff w/ compound and then wax or polish again. You should do this about monthly if you don't want it to come back. Wiping down after use helps too.

With that said I don't really touch mine except to scrub off the river scum line every week or so. I wetsanded last year when I got it, and again this spring. Hoping not to next year! I should probably start doing some of those things above lol.